TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Autopilot: Updated Surroundings Detection?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by DoubleE, May 13, 2016.

1. DoubleE

DoubleE Member

Did anyone else see this tweet posted by Tesla Motors?

Tweet: Over 47M miles driven on Autopilot, the more you drive, the more we'll learn

Currently, doesn't AP just show any other vehicle it "senses" as other Model S cars?

But from the video, it shows the Model S following a Semi, a few cars driving by, as well as a Motorcycle on the left.

Is this a hint at the next gen Autopilot?????

2. Tree95

Tree95 Member

It's done this for a while already. Large (tall) vehicles are usually shown as semis

3. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

#3 TaoJones, May 13, 2016
    Last edited: May 14, 2016
    When TACC debuted, it didn't know a motorcycle from a mothball. Now it does a decent job of both recognizing them and not trying to rear-end them at red lights. TACC really has improved markedly this past year or so.

I hope that Autosteer can do likewise with the current hardware.

Still patiently waiting for traffic light and stop sign active differentiation as noted was forthcoming "within the next year or so" about 4 months back. Perhaps another October surprise...

4. DoubleE

DoubleE Member

Interesting. When I test drove the Model S a few weeks ago, it only showed Model S vehicles on the screen. So you think the test drive vehicle had an outdated software version?

5. 2virgule5

2virgule5 Member

6. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Possibly so.

The hope is that we'll get at least the stop sign recognition with the current hardware, which I will call AP 1.0, that debuted Q4 2014. Stop signs, at least, have been recognized by the MobilEye hardware for some time now. Traffic light recognition would absolutely benefit from better resolution.

It will be interesting to see how Tesla manages this - especially in light of Elon's comments nearer to the first of this year. Nobody followed up at the time to ask if the current hardware could suffice or if new hardware would be required. This then leads to a discussion about retrofitting. Bleh.

7. bswn1

bswn1 Member

AP has done this for a few months now. If you're still on 7.0 you don't have this functionality.

8. Edmond

Edmond Permanon

Problem with stop signs is it can recognize them 99 times out of 100, but then it's that one miss...

It's still misrecognizing Highway 110 as a speed limit sign, lol.

9. Old Wyseguy

Old Wyseguy Member

Mine sees 10 MPH speed limit sign as 70! That can get me in trouble on a military base.