TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Autopilot Upgrade after purchase

Discussion in 'Model S' started by nikolanj, Aug 28, 2018.

1. nikolanj

nikolanj Member

I happened to be tooling around my tesla account page and noticed under the description for the $6K enhanced autopilot upgrade, it mentioned "The enhancements include going from one to four cameras for greater accuracy, redundancy, and to see fast-approaching vehicles in adjacent lanes."

Does that mean my 2018 MS75D currently has just 1 camera currently, and if I decide to purchase the upgrade (in the tail end of my 14-day trial now), that I'll need to bring the car into a service center to have 3 additional cameras installed? If so, where on the body of the car is the current 1 camera and where on the body would they be adding the additional 3?

Thanks.

2. ahkahn

ahkahn Member

The hardware is already installed into the car. It is essentially a software unlock.

3. ahkahn

ahkahn Member

You should have two cameras on the pillars between the front and rear door, two on either side of the front fender (the turn signal lights), 1 in the rear, and 3 in the front windshield.