Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot upgrade problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2016/17 model S was working flawless until I got an email from Tesla that they need to upgrade and retrofit the autopilot computer . After scheduling, rescheduling the appointment 4 times ( they could not get the part) last week they showed up and did the upgrade . Since then my cameras stopped working , and worse the map and gps do t work anymore . The map is frozen at one spot . After rebooting the computer 4-5 times I tried calling service but could not go through. So tried the chat service . She ran a diagnostic on my car and said that the car can not connect to any of the satellites. She scheduled another technician to come in 9 days , pissed that I had agreed to do the upgrade in the first place , I said sure . The next day I get a message from the service department that the problem requires the car to be taken in at a specific day chosen by the service center . Don’t even get to decide. Now I have to take a day off to take the car in for a problem they caused . Does anyone else have these issues . When I bought this car , Tesla had excellent service , now you can’t even get a human being anymore .

Ok. Now it makes sense.

The most likely issue is because you are still using the old MCU1 (in the back of the central screen) and if you want a "smoother" experience, you'll just have to pay for the new MCU2.
Forget the “smoother experience”, right now nothing works. The map is locked up in one location and car constantly thinks it’s in my garage , I have no cameras . And the support person said it that “some reason “ the car is communicating with “zero satellites “.

Forget the “smoother experience”, right now nothing works. The map is locked up in one location and car constantly thinks it’s in my garage , I have no cameras . And the support person said it that “some reason “ the car is communicating with “zero satellites “.

That's how Tesla works. The HW3 upgrade is free but your experience as you described above is certainly not "smooth". The idea of "smooth" comes from its blog:

"Upgrade your Infotainment system to access new features, and for a more advanced and smoother user experience."