TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Autopilot using comma.ai on non AP Model S?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Sus, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Sus

Sus Member

2. techmaven

techmaven Active Member

Yeah, not sure I want that code controlling my car. One look through the code and I'm not impressed.

3. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

His initial system for sale only worked on Honda with HondaSense (lane keeping) if I recall correctly. Likely tapping into those control systems to operate steering, accelerator, and brakes.

A pre autopilot car wouldn't have any mechanism for the self driving software, even with a radar added, to actually operate steering, brakes, etc.

4. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

I actually think the steering part is there, but the brakes. (At least I don't recall WK057 saying that he had to replace the steering.)

5. DIL

DIL Supporting Member

Hotz has already declared defeat and shut down /
    He should have accepted Elon's job offer when he had the chance.

6. boonedocks

boonedocks Member

Yeah.....That pride....it is really a hard thing to control for some people....

7. lunitiks

lunitiks ˭ ˭ ʽʽʽʽʽʽʽʽʽ ʭ ʼʼʼʼʼʼʼʼʼ ˭ ˭

Interesting topic. Is the iBooster necessary for hotz' product? Because the iBooster was introduced around 2014 i think

8. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

There is no way for automated brake application on a Tesla without the iBooster.

9. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

I think you're right, i recall something about that from WK. I bet the power assist steering is electric, to avoid requiring the pump setup.

10. Dithermaster

Dithermaster Member

I would not ride in a car with that box installed, much less consider it for my own ride.

11. tliving

tliving Member

Isn't the large part of the problem not just that the sensors are missing, but there are no remote control systems for steering, brakes, etc?

• Like x 1
  12. Dithermaster

Dithermaster Member

Brakes need to be changed, but not steering. When wk057 retrofitted AP1 into his SO's car he made a parts list and it didn't include an updated steering system so I asked him about that; he said the pre-AP steering can be controlled already over CAN. It's the same steering in non-AP and AP cars!

13. johnr

johnr Member

I see at least a few Pre-AP Model S drivers have successfully installed openpilot in their cars (I've seen some clips on YouTube). Hoping at least one of them is active on this forum and would care to share their first hand experience?

14. johnr

johnr Member