Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Utility

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can only say I'm going to be on task. If anything I feel like it's safer because I can focus on the big picture. I spent 24 years flying airplanes in the Air Force so staying focused isn't an issue.

Only you know yourself. If you're going to use it to dork around on your cellphone, you're right, bad idea. But if you're going to use it to simply relieve yourself of jiggling the wheel every 20 seconds you'll be a safer driver for it. You and I have the same experience flying airplanes and what you said is right, being relieved of the minutia lets you look at more important things. You should try it, with your flying background you understand how to stay focused and let it be a tool instead of a crutch.

I really wish they'd take a pedal input; I find the Tesla needs much more input with the pedal than the steering wheel when you're just cruising down the highway. I'd set the 'max speed' to about 50 on the interstate and constantly use the pedal to keep a proper positioning. IMO in autopilot your speed needs constant tweaking but it does a good job of keeping you between the lines.
Two comments -
Tesla has to design a system for everyone, i.e. the lowest common denominator.

Also, we all think we know ourselves but people are remarkably good at rationalizing and deceiving themselves. I would never use it as an excuse to get out my phone or otherwise intentionally be irresponsible but it's easy to get lulled into a false sense of security and start to do little things here and there that eventually lead to significant distraction.

Reactions: chadol
Two comments -
Tesla has to design a system for everyone, i.e. the lowest common denominator.

Also, we all think we know ourselves but people are remarkably good at rationalizing and deceiving themselves. I would never use it as an excuse to get out my phone or otherwise intentionally be irresponsible but it's easy to get lulled into a false sense of security and start to do little things here and there that eventually lead to significant distraction.
Yup... but people used to text while driving with their knee... now they do so while occasionally wiggling the steering wheel.

Keith

• Funny
Reactions: sleepydoc
I find that if i stick my hand in small hole section of the wheel (position A) and let it hang there, I almost never get prompted to jiggle the wheel. There's just enough resistance/torque whenever the highway turns. It seems like my wife's arm is not quite heavy enough but it works for her when she hangs her hand in position B.

Hope that helps anyone who finds their car is constantly asking for the jiggle.

Screenshot 2022-08-10 121728.png

t's
Yup... but people used to text while driving with their knee... now they do so while occasionally wiggling the steering wheel.

Keith
That's the thing, if you're going to use your arm as a dead weight I don't really see much difference. The key is whether you're paying attention or not, not what sort of dead weight you use. Now, I guess you could make the case that using your arm as the dead weight means you can't use it to do anything else, but that's not really true since you can go about 25 seconds anyhow. And in any case to me there's a pretty distinct line between your attention drifting and your hands drifting--if you're going to let your attention drift hanging your hand on the steering wheel isn't really going to change that.

I raise seat and lower steering wheel a bit so the inside of top of of my right leg just above knee is pressed against steering wheel at the 4 or 5 o'clock position with foot flat on the floor. Just let AP turn the wheel and adjust leg pressure to provide just enough resistance to get rid of nag. Much less fatigue than arm based approach.

I raise seat and lower steering wheel a bit so the inside of top of of my right leg just above knee is pressed against steering wheel at the 4 or 5 o'clock position with foot flat on the floor. Just let AP turn the wheel and adjust leg pressure to provide just enough resistance to get rid of nag. Much less fatigue than arm based approach.
Problem is, this method doesn't work on a strait road with very few curves.

Keith

Actually does work on straight roads. Just apply little more leg leg pressure at 45 degree angle to steering wheel. Once drove 90 miles on an straight stretch of I-10 without an intervention on AP. Got nagged a few times but just applied more pressure to steering wheel with leg or grabbed it. Im on FSD beta now so will try and see if it still works.

Actually does work on straight roads. Just apply little more leg leg pressure at 45 degree angle to steering wheel. Once drove 90 miles on an straight stretch of I-10 without an intervention on AP. Got nagged a few times but just applied more pressure to steering wheel with leg or grabbed it. Im on FSD beta now so will try and see if it still works.

LOL, so, what you are doing is the exact same thing with your leg that others do with their hand...

Keith

AP is essentially glorified cruise control. It’s useful because you can use it to reduce fatigue and heighten awareness. For longer trips it is definitely useful but I’m also the type to not trust a device to not fail. I’m actively engaged in operating the vehicle to essentially “babysit” AP for a “just in case” moment. Commercial airline pilots should do the same thing. You never know if there is an event that can cause AP to malfunction like on the 737 Max. You are in the vehicle, AP does not have a “vested interest” in keeping you safe.

Reactions: Fourdoor and Wigan
AP is essentially glorified cruise control. It’s useful because you can use it to reduce fatigue and heighten awareness. For longer trips it is definitely useful but I’m also the type to not trust a device to not fail. I’m actively engaged in operating the vehicle to essentially “babysit” AP for a “just in case” moment. Commercial airline pilots should do the same thing. You never know if there is an event that can cause AP to malfunction like on the 737 Max. You are in the vehicle, AP does not have a “vested interest” in keeping you safe.

And AP doesn't give a flip about that shredded truck tire in your lane... you have to be aware and actually paying attention so you not only see the debris, you know what lane around you is clear for you to dodge into, or if there is a car behind you that will slam into you if you hit the brakes.

Keith

Reactions: Wigan
And AP doesn't give a flip about that shredded truck tire in your lane... you have to be aware and actually paying attention so you not only see the debris, you know what lane around you is clear for you to dodge into, or if there is a car behind you that will slam into you if you hit the brakes.

Keith
Good point. There is no recognition for debris from what I’ve seen. I have seen a few YouTube videos where if you are about to get hit by another vehicle, the alarm will sound. I wonder if FSD has enough processing power to take evasive maneuvers within the time limit.