Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot v8.0.. what's the problem?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've observed a lot of people on here who have expressed their disappointment in the updated AP since 8.0 rolled out. Some even to the point where they no longer want the AP or the car. Many of these complaints are associated with the increased nagging to hold the wheel.

I just don't understand why? If you're leveraging the functionality the way it's actually supposed to be used (you know.. *gasp* paying attention to the road and what's happening in front of you), then it shouldn't be a big deal to hold the wheel for a second when being prompted to do so. How is it that someone can miss the prompt multiple times?? I just don't get it.

If you're not paying attention the way you should be, then you're being an idiot and you shouldn't be complaining about the safest car in the world trying to keep you safe.

What am I missing here? Why so many complaints about this specific functionality update?

Overall I like AP 8.0 particularly the TACC smoothness improvements thanks to radar processing.

However I think a legitimate complaint about 8.0 is that Autosteer is a bit more squirrelly compared to 7.1. It's unclear whether it's related to fleet learning or not, but there are consistent stretches of my commute route that 7.1 was able to handle but 8.0 almost consistently departs from the lane and requires manual intervention. And unfortunately even with a firm grip and anticipation of this, my car still moves enough to the edge of my lane that cars next to me in curves have honked at me before.

At any rate I've related my feedback to the mothership. In my experience more of the 8.0 complaints relate to AutoSteer incorrectness than Autopilot nags.

Negativity bias. Those of us who enjoy the car are out driving. :)

FWIW, I have noticed differences in AP following 8.0. It's far better at most things. (Little iffy on lane markings sometimes.) Never had a problem meeting the "Hold Steering Wheel" requirements.

Yep, that's it. There was a poll posted earlier and 82% liked AP 8.0 the same or better than 7.1; only 18% thought it was worse (unscientific but still ....). Tesla 8.0 Autopilot experience Poll

But the relatively small percentage of people who don't like it tend to post the most. Since the main complaint seems to be that you have to keep your hands on the steering wheel (at least part of the time), I have to agree with @msnow:

Here's the solution to nags in both 7.1 or 8.0.....wait for it.................

HOLD THE WHEEL, voila no nags!

Reactions: fallen888
I do a lot of driving and 7.1 AP works great. So I get to thinking a lot. Today I had this "what if" thought occur to me...

<ConspiracyTheory>What if AP steering could have been made intentionally worse to remind drivers that they are driving</ConspiracyTheory>

• Funny
Reactions: fallen888
My next thought of course was, if true, it would only be temporary, to "shake off" the old AP "lulled into a" thing...

edit: which is a real thing. I had a stretch of road on a recent drive that absolutely lulled me. It was probably a lot like Josh Brown's last stretch in Florida. It was scary, like that feeling of almost falling asleep while long haul driving late at night (in the old days before AP and Supercharger stops that is).

Think about the poor Tesla sales person during a customers first test drive. "Please don't try AutoPilot but if you do watch out for it veering into the truck on your right and the center divider on your left. Do you mind if I stay here while you and your wife take the drive?" :).

Here is my unbiased impressions of autopilot without going too technical. I have a 3 week old S90D. I'm also a careful driver and I've always used cruise control with former cars.

Autopilot feels to me is just giving the car a little more control over adaptive cruise control. In essence, the current technology makes it feel like "level 2 cruise control. Whereas cruise control lets you free your foot from the gas pedal and brakes, autopilot allows you to free you from steering. But it doesn't at all prevent you from taking eyes off the road or have your hands and foot far off from their respective pedals/wheels in anticipation to take over. I cannot understand why people would put 100 percent trust on it and not keep their eyes on the road, hands close to the wheel and foot ready to brake. For a reasonably well marked and straight road, autopilot works pretty well. But when you have little curves on the road, the car seems to hug the roadmarks too much and either turns somewhat abruptly, giving the sensation of a roller coaster. Probably why some people who has had accidents feel that the car "swerved on its own". It feels like the car jolts but it does center itself. This is even made worse when the car tells you to take over and you actually have to move the wheel left or right to let the car know your hands are on the wheel and probably cause a little bit of oversteering and swerving. The car seems to be jerky as well when roadmarks fade and then it has to "follow" the path of the car or truck in front of you, especially if that vehicle in front of you moves around too. Otherwise it takes a bit of getting used to and my experience is that I could now anticipate getting control of the car before autopilot tells me to. Now that's being said, treat the autopilot as you would putting the car in cruise control, with a little more ease off the steering wheel. It still isn't something, in my opinion, to use so that one can text, watch videos or take eyes off the road at any point.
What I do like is the fact about the whole system is that the GPS is fantastic and the ability to read speed signs make it a much accurate and easier driving experience. Lane changing with the signal stalk is also seemless and so far no problems.

Negativity bias. Those of us who enjoy the car are out driving. :)

FWIW, I have noticed differences in AP following 8.0. It's far better at most things. (Little iffy on lane markings sometimes.) Never had a problem meeting the "Hold Steering Wheel" requirements.

To fight the negative bias, I created this thread, looks better right? even admit the bias is there, positive feedbacks on 8.0 ap are still more than negatives.

right now it's 68% vs 18% with ~100 samples.

Tesla 8.0 Autopilot experience Poll

Since the update to 8.0 autopilot is virtually useless. It flags me to hold the wheel every minute (yes literally every 60 seconds). What is the point of having this feature? Previously my car would drive without my hands on the wheel for 15-30 minutes

First of all, it's not every minute - not even close. And secondly, why is this a problem? You are exactly one of those people who I am talking about. You are likely not using the function as it is designed to be used.

I haven't found Autosteer in v8 to be worse than v7.1. All this talk about diving toward trucks and I've never seen that once.

Lane changes are a little improved, braking is noticeably improved, and smoothness is improved.

Seems like those people are seeing a different autopilot than I am.
Very strange. Totally different experience here. Agree about lane changes and braking (not sure what you mean by smoothness) but mine bounces around the lane considerably more than 7.1 and definitely veers into trucks. Yesterday I had it completely move one lane to the right, come back to the lane it was supposed to be in then move one lane to the left then come back to its lane. There were no cars around me so I let it do its thing just to see what would happen but it sure made me lose confidence in 8.0 AP. Just saying people, be careful.

• Informative
Reactions: u00mem9
That's because the people who are most vocal, are the few that don't like the changes to AP.

The rest of us are out there enjoying it. I've said in the 8.0 thread, 95% the same, 5% more squirrely on certain roads. Overall, I have no complaints.

To add ot it, that's referring to autosteer. TACC got a lot smoother with braking. So again, overall no complaints.

*gasp* I also like the new media player *gasp*

Concerning negativity bias, you have to also acknowledge that bias will exist to reinforce actions that cannot be changed. Thus, there is a strong internal desire to believe you made the correct choice to update.

The question I have to ask is why do complaints about 8.0 issues cause such stress for some forum members? If you are happy with your car, what's the problem? OP is not unique in this regard, as there are a handful of people that seem driven to defend the update in every thread. Even if they feel it is an improvement, I don't get the heavy frustration?

(Disclaimer: Still on 7.1 because there is no option to return if I find 8.0 to be less capable)

i must have a different build than everyone else...

seriously AP says hands on wheel exactly 2 less times now for my daily commute. and still warns in the exact same spot as 7.1 did, an up hill sweeping left curve on i-210. it actually tracks the lanes much better than 7.1 and slows down in traffic better.

still get phantom emergency braking warnings though...