Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot v8.0.. what's the problem?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's an example to help the OP understand why people might see increased nags as an undesirable change:

Your car currently allows you to travel at 80 or 90mph ...

The next update limits max speed to the posted speed limit on all highways.

Now, if you are using the vehicle in the way you are intended to use it, what's the problem?

If you haven't noticed yet, a large subset of the US population has a low opinion of any change that limits their ability to do as they see fit. Others like to ride back and forth in the slot their paymaster provides. ;)

Reactions: calisnow
I was driving yesterday with autopilot at about 80 MPH approaching stopped traffic (separation setting 7). As usual the car didn't start stopping in time and then when it did begin to stop it didn't apply the brakes hard enough to actually stop in time. Even the collision warning went off just as I began manually hitting the brakes. I don't know how we pass this info to Tesla but that surely was not optimal.

• Funny
Reactions: u00mem9
I was driving yesterday with autopilot at about 80 MPH approaching stopped traffic (separation setting 7). As usual the car didn't start stopping in time and then when it did begin to stop it didn't apply the brakes hard enough to actually stop in time. Even the collision warning went off just as I began manually hitting the brakes. I don't know how we pass this info to Tesla but that surely was not optimal.
Email them at [email protected]. Give them a short description of what happened, the date and approximate time and your VIN. It will be helpful to all of us.

Reactions: Topher

Were they completely stopped?

OP do you own a Tesla with autopilot?

I've observed a lot of people on here who have expressed their disappointment in the updated AP since 8.0 rolled out. Some even to the point where they no longer want the AP or the car. Many of these complaints are associated with the increased nagging to hold the wheel.

I just don't understand why? If you're leveraging the functionality the way it's actually supposed to be used (you know.. *gasp* paying attention to the road and what's happening in front of you), then it shouldn't be a big deal to hold the wheel for a second when being prompted to do so. How is it that someone can miss the prompt multiple times?? I just don't get it.

If you're not paying attention the way you should be, then you're being an idiot and you shouldn't be complaining about the safest car in the world trying to keep you safe.

What am I missing here? Why so many complaints about this specific functionality update?

Really? Can't see it on iPhone 6 either in landscape or portrait.

Yes -- at least on a 6s. Here is your signature I just copied on my phone:

Model S 90D | Midnight Silver | Grey NextGen/Black Alcantara | Premium Interior | SAS | UHFS | AP | Pano | Matte Obeche Interior | Delivery 9/15/2015 | VIN#103xxx | Model Deposit 3/31/2016

Since the update to 8.0 autopilot is virtually useless. It flags me to hold the wheel every minute (yes literally every 60 seconds). What is the point of having this feature? Previously my car would drive without my hands on the wheel for 15-30 minutes

That's very strange. There are no shortage of 8.0 vids now, and in the ones I've see, the nags are nowhere close to once a minute. Also, I'm glad you're now forced to hold the wheel every minute as opposed to you not for 30 minutes at a time.

Yes -- at least on a 6s. Here is your signature I just copied on my phone:

Model S 90D | Midnight Silver | Grey NextGen/Black Alcantara | Premium Interior | SAS | UHFS | AP | Pano | Matte Obeche Interior | Delivery 9/15/2015 | VIN#103xxx | Model Deposit 3/31/2016
Weird, I get it on my iPad but not my iPhone 6.

Interesting. I've been in the same situation, although I normally drive with the separation at 4 and closer to 75, and the car has stopped very nicely. Over a year ago it was behaving as you describe, but not recently.

When I drive on AP I usually rest my hands on my knees, ready to grab the wheel as needed. I don't want to have to hold the wheel while using AP. The point of AP is to not have to hold the wheel. That doesn't mean I stop paying attention. I also carefully monitor the road striping in front of me & nearby vehicles to predict areas where AP might struggle with the steering. When I am coming up on an area where I feel AP might struggle I will lightly grasp the wheel. On roads I drive often through areas where I know that AP struggles I will cancel it before that stretch & drive manually until I pass that difficult stretch.

I don't want more frequent nags on 8.0. I've tried to start timing my nags on 7.1 when I'm on a stretch of road where I'll use AP for more than 2 minutes or so. I've noticed that the nags seem to get more frequent over time, but there are also drives where the car seems to completely forget to nag & then the next drive on that exact same freeway will have nags every 1.5-2 minutes. One stretch I drove last weekend I went almost 15 minutes without a single nag. I drove that same stretch of freeway the next day and had nags every 3.5 minutes, then every 2.5 minutes, then every 1.5 as I drove that exact same freeway...

hands close to the wheel
This will do absolutely nothing to prevent nags. Even having your hands on the wheel may not prevent nags.
They need to be on the wheel and applying sufficient torque (and nobody knows how much that is) for the system
to notice. If it doesn't notice, the only way to make it notice is to apply an unwanted, unnecessary, and potentially
unsafe steering "correction".

• Helpful
Reactions: Lex and msnow