TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Autopilot v8.0.. what's the problem?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by fallen888, Oct 6, 2016.

1. u00mem9

u00mem9 Member

Here's an example to help the OP understand why people might see increased nags as an undesirable change:

Your car currently allows you to travel at 80 or 90mph ...

The next update limits max speed to the posted speed limit on all highways.

Now, if you are using the vehicle in the way you are intended to use it, what's the problem?

If you haven't noticed yet, a large subset of the US population has a low opinion of any change that limits their ability to do as they see fit. Others like to ride back and forth in the slot their paymaster provides. ;)

• Like x 1
  2. Max*

Max* Charging

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

We can argue if having your hands on the wheel or exceeding the speed limit is an essential liberty ;)

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  3. MichFin

MichFin Member

I was driving yesterday with autopilot at about 80 MPH approaching stopped traffic (separation setting 7). As usual the car didn't start stopping in time and then when it did begin to stop it didn't apply the brakes hard enough to actually stop in time. Even the collision warning went off just as I began manually hitting the brakes. I don't know how we pass this info to Tesla but that surely was not optimal.

• Funny x 1
  4. msnow

msnow Active Member

Email them at [email protected]. Give them a short description of what happened, the date and approximate time and your VIN. It will be helpful to all of us.

• Like x 1
  5. u00mem9

u00mem9 Member

Were they completely stopped?

6. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

OP do you own a Tesla with autopilot?

7. msnow

msnow Active Member

Their sig says they do. How come you ask?

8. fallen888

fallen888 Participant

#28 fallen888, Oct 7, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    Yes, I do. It would be quite hypocritical of me to not own one but talk about it the way I do.

9. fallen888

fallen888 Participant

I wish the sig would somehow show up on mobile-formatted page.

• Like x 2
  10. EinSV

EinSV Active Member

If you flip the phone sideways it shows up. But not obvious or intuitive to do that ....

• Informative x 1
  11. msnow

msnow Active Member

Really? Can't see it on iPhone 6 either in landscape or portrait.

12. fallen888

fallen888 Participant

Ha! Nice. Works on my Android Galaxy S6.

• Like x 1
  13. EinSV

EinSV Active Member

Yes -- at least on a 6s. Here is your signature I just copied on my phone:

Model S 90D | Midnight Silver | Grey NextGen/Black Alcantara | Premium Interior | SAS | UHFS | AP | Pano | Matte Obeche Interior | Delivery 9/15/2015 | VIN#103xxx | Model Deposit 3/31/2016

14. mhan00

mhan00 Member

That's very strange. There are no shortage of 8.0 vids now, and in the ones I've see, the nags are nowhere close to once a minute. Also, I'm glad you're now forced to hold the wheel every minute as opposed to you not for 30 minutes at a time.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  15. msnow

msnow Active Member

Weird, I get it on my iPad but not my iPhone 6.

16. RDoc

RDoc S85D

Interesting. I've been in the same situation, although I normally drive with the separation at 4 and closer to 75, and the car has stopped very nicely. Over a year ago it was behaving as you describe, but not recently.

17. hybridbear

hybridbear Member

When I drive on AP I usually rest my hands on my knees, ready to grab the wheel as needed. I don't want to have to hold the wheel while using AP. The point of AP is to not have to hold the wheel. That doesn't mean I stop paying attention. I also carefully monitor the road striping in front of me & nearby vehicles to predict areas where AP might struggle with the steering. When I am coming up on an area where I feel AP might struggle I will lightly grasp the wheel. On roads I drive often through areas where I know that AP struggles I will cancel it before that stretch & drive manually until I pass that difficult stretch.

I don't want more frequent nags on 8.0. I've tried to start timing my nags on 7.1 when I'm on a stretch of road where I'll use AP for more than 2 minutes or so. I've noticed that the nags seem to get more frequent over time, but there are also drives where the car seems to completely forget to nag & then the next drive on that exact same freeway will have nags every 1.5-2 minutes. One stretch I drove last weekend I went almost 15 minutes without a single nag. I drove that same stretch of freeway the next day and had nags every 3.5 minutes, then every 2.5 minutes, then every 1.5 as I drove that exact same freeway...

18. Max*

Max* Charging

I pretty much agree with the rest of your post, except this statement. That's not the point of AP.

19. MichFin

MichFin Member

Completely stopped. I was about to take over when it started to slow down so I let it do it and then the collision beep came on as I slammed on the brakes because I didn't think it would stop in time.

20. RogerHScott

RogerHScott Active Member

This will do absolutely nothing to prevent nags. Even having your hands on the wheel may not prevent nags.
    They need to be on the wheel and applying sufficient torque (and nobody knows how much that is) for the system
    to notice. If it doesn't notice, the only way to make it notice is to apply an unwanted, unnecessary, and potentially
    unsafe steering "correction".

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1