Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot version in Software screen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if this is a dumb question, but I wanted to verify something. For those of you who purchased the FSD Package (but not currently in FSD beta), what does the Autopilot Version in the Software screen of your car show?

Mine shows "Enhanced Autopilot"

I bought my car through Tesla's used inventory a few months back, and the listing page showed Full Self Driving Capability package was included. At the time I got the car, it was the HW2 computer + MCU1. It's since been upgraded to HW3 and MCU2.

Logging in to my account on Tesla's website still shows the FSD capability listed under Car Details.

I understand the car is basically EAP for the time being until FSD does its widespread rollout, and I have no shortage of advertised features so far (besides actual FSD). But I wanted to see if having EAP listed in my Software screen is normal given the lack of FSD rollout, or if it's something I need to take up with Tesla Support or Service.

This is all last minute craziness in anticipation of hopefully getting the FSD Beta soon :)

Attachments

• PXL_20210317_140523371.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210317_140523371.MP.jpg
    366.7 KB · Views: 1,081
  • Screenshot_20210317-064523.png
    Screenshot_20210317-064523.png
    344.7 KB · Views: 391
  • PXL_20210317_140817876.jpg
    PXL_20210317_140817876.jpg
    432.3 KB · Views: 352
I wonder if it has something to do with the cars first owner not having FSD purchased at the time, or something in general with the older cars (mine is a late 2016 build)

App shows FSD capability under Purchased tab too.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210317-080427.png
    Screenshot_20210317-080427.png
    47 KB · Views: 339
Interesting. I thought that FSD (Full Self Driving Capability), once purchased, would always be listed as an included package on the software screen regardless of when or how it was purchased. Maybe it just hasn't been officially activated yet? If not, it should be a quick and easy thing for Tesla to do as your account clearly shows it has been purchased (in this case, as part of the used car purchase).

Reactions: fcastrillo86
Interesting. I thought that FSD (Full Self Driving Capability), once purchased, would always be listed as an included package on the software screen regardless of when or how it was purchased. Maybe it just hasn't been officially activated yet? If not, it should be a quick and easy thing for Tesla to do as your account clearly shows it has been purchased (in this case, as part of the used car purchase).
I chatted with Tesla Support just a few minutes ago. They told me they show my car does indeed have FSD, and they wanted me to send a picture of my Software screen showing EAP instead so they could escalate the issue to Engineering. Fingers crossed that this is a quick fix!

"Full Self Driving Capability" means the car has all the hardware required for FSD. It does not mean the FSD software package is purchased and owned. Your car has Enhanced Auto Pilot, which is (currently) everything that FSD offers but will not include anything else (like the upcoming FSD on city streets) implemented in the future

• Disagree
Reactions: Huskyf and momo3605
"Full Self Driving Capability" means the car has all the hardware required for FSD. It does not mean the FSD software package is purchased and owned. Your car has Enhanced Auto Pilot, which is (currently) everything that FSD offers but will not include anything else (like the upcoming FSD on city streets) implemented in the future
I could see why you would think that, their use of the word "capability" could be misconstrued that way. But I have to disagree with you here. See below for a Tesla used inventory listing for a HW3-equipped car WITHOUT the FSD feature activated:
Note how it just says "Autopilot" listed as a feature. But it's a 2017 car with HW3, so it is definitely FSD capable, the feature just hasn't been activated yet. It will be on the new owner to purchase the feature to take advantage of it.

Conversely, here is a HW2-equipped car WITH FSD active:
This car is capable of FSD, but will require the free HW3/FSD computer upgrade. No further purchase/upgrade (aside from the FSD computer upgrade) should be required.

All of my paperwork shows FSD as being on the car. The Upgrades page in the app shows FSD as purchased (along with AP and EAP, see my screencap in my prior post) and the chat rep I just spoke with also confirmed my car indeed has FSD. I also have the HW3/FSD computer already installed. For whatever reason, it's erroneously showing EAP instead, and requires some fix from the engineering team.

"Full Self Driving Capability" is not just the hardware but is the software package itself. That is what currently costs $10k on a new Tesla. There is not another software package to purchase on top of that.

MSFSD.jpg

I could see why you would think that, their use of the word "capability" could be misconstrued that way. But I have to disagree with you here. See below for a Tesla used inventory listing for a HW3-equipped car WITHOUT the FSD feature activated:
Note how it just says "Autopilot" listed as a feature. But it's a 2017 car with HW3, so it is definitely FSD capable, the feature just hasn't been activated yet. It will be on the new owner to purchase the feature to take advantage of it.

Conversely, here is a HW2-equipped car WITH FSD active:
This car is capable of FSD, but will require the free HW3/FSD computer upgrade. No further purchase/upgrade (aside from the FSD computer upgrade) should be required.

All of my paperwork shows FSD as being on the car. The Upgrades page in the app shows FSD as purchased (along with AP and EAP, see my screencap in my prior post) and the chat rep I just spoke with also confirmed my car indeed has FSD. I also have the HW3/FSD computer already installed. For whatever reason, it's erroneously showing EAP instead, and requires some fix from the engineering team.

Glad to hear Tesla is fixing for you. I have a used Model 3 with FSD and it says FSD on the software page. That'll add green light chime and traffic light control. Don't listen to everyone saying "it just means it has the capability". Hate when people who don't know spread misinformation...

Reactions: Microterf
Glad to hear Tesla is fixing for you. I have a used Model 3 with FSD and it says FSD on the software page. That'll add green light chime and traffic light control. Don't listen to everyone saying "it just means it has the capability". Hate when people who don't know spread misinformation...
I saw it as a teaching opportunity, I hope he took it that way. Definitely didn't mean to bust him out lol.

Not sure if EAP owners would get green light chime and traffic sign control, but I have it enabled on my car already. It seems like my car is acting like everyone else's FSD-enabled car minus the Beta, except that it shows EAP instead of FSD in the Software screen. I would hate for that to be a reason the Beta doesn't roll out to my car if/when the legendary "Button" ever shows up

I saw it as a teaching opportunity, I hope he took it that way. Definitely didn't mean to bust him out lol.

Not sure if EAP owners would get green light chime and traffic sign control, but I have it enabled on my car already. It seems like my car is acting like everyone else's FSD-enabled car minus the Beta, except that it shows EAP instead of FSD in the Software screen. I would hate for that to be a reason the Beta doesn't roll out to my car if/when the legendary "Button" ever shows up

huh! Normally EAP owners don't get green light chime or traffic light control, so it's definitely some weird bug you caught. Good luck and hopefully we get the legendary button soon! 😂

Hello, friend. I have the exact same issue xD

I posted my thread with photos as well.

I purchased FSD included, used 2017 Tesla MS and on Software sreen, I only see EAP.

I have pretty all of the autopilot features including traffic lights stop signs control, I do see Smart Summon on my Tesla App.

So I requested Tesla service via app, and someone reached me and told me that they installed FSD computer and it is just labeling issue on the screen maybe my car is too old to show FSD on the Software screen--which is a BS, I saw tones of 3rd party used car dealership posted photos of 2017 MS with FSD on screen.

Navigate on Autopilot, auto park, and some other features were included in EAP when Tesla was selling EAP feature + FSD for extra charge in the past. Now they removed EAP and sell FSD itself for 10K. So my point is that if my car's EAP was purchased long time ago, then those features could be included in my car without activating FSD.

I think there is a possibility that they installed the FSD computer on our cars, but did not activate the FSD, I'm not sure.

Or, maybe this is just a labeling issue and if everything works fine including all of the future update, I will be okay.
However, it is Tesla...always need to be careful.

You submitted photos and wait for their response, it is good for you.

I will call the Tesla representative who called me earlier and ask her about what I saw from TMC.

Hello, friend. I have the exact same issue xD

I posted my thread with photos as well.

I purchased FSD included, used 2017 Tesla MS and on Software sreen, I only see EAP.

I have pretty all of the autopilot features including traffic lights stop signs control, I do see Smart Summon on my Tesla App.

So I requested Tesla service via app, and someone reached me and told me that they installed FSD computer and it is just labeling issue on the screen maybe my car is too old to show FSD on the Software screen--which is a BS, I saw tones of 3rd party used car dealership posted photos of 2017 MS with FSD on screen.

Navigate on Autopilot, auto park, and some other features were included in EAP when Tesla was selling EAP feature + FSD for extra charge in the past. Now they removed EAP and sell FSD itself for 10K. So my point is that if my car's EAP was purchased long time ago, then those features could be included in my car without activating FSD.

I think there is a possibility that they installed the FSD computer on our cars, but did not activate the FSD, I'm not sure.

Or, maybe this is just a labeling issue and if everything works fine including all of the future update, I will be okay.
However, it is Tesla...always need to be careful.

You submitted photos and wait for their response, it is good for you.

I will call the Tesla representative who called me earlier and ask her about what I saw from TMC.
I'm leaning towards it being a mere labeling issue, because our cars will stop for traffic controls (stop signs and lights) which is reportedly only on FSD-enabled cars. I haven't seen anybody with EAP chime in (yet) that also has the same traffic control feature. My car was HW2 originally, and the FSD computer was installed while the car was in Service for some unrelated stuff. Also, the FSD feature being activated is plastered all over our purchase agreements, app upgrades page, etc., so I think we're fine. Still, it's a nagging issue that seems like it should be a quick fix.

No further response from Tesla yet ever since sending the email with the pictures.

Update: took my car in to Service to address a door handle issue, and also asked about my AP version being shown. Got my car back, sounds like the fix is going to come via OTA at some point. I asked in-app when I should be expecting the OTA, no response yet.

1617380947538.png

Reactions: alrnr2232
Spoke with a Service Advisor via the app's messaging feature. They told me I was going to get an update pushed to my car on 04/02/21 at 6pm. I haven't gotten anything yet, and my Software screen still shows "Enhanced Autopilot". Got another message in-app yesterday where they asked for a picture of the issue (even though they were supposed to have seen it during my recent service appointment), and then they said I supposedly had a firmware update on 04/01/21. I told them I hadn't received any OTA since picking the car up from them on 04/01.... i wonder if the OTA they think I got was just the standard software redeploy after the new handle got installed.

Anyways, I also got emailed one of those "how did we do" survey emails from Tesla, so I made sure to let them know that issue is still unresolved

I just sold my Model S and bought a used 2018 Model 3 Performance that doesn't have autopilot, enhanced autopilot or FSD. The cost to upgrade to FSD is $13,000 because it says I have to buy autopilot with FSD. Has anyone heard of this before? I thought all Model 3s had at least autopilot???

Spoke with a Service Advisor via the app's messaging feature. They told me I was going to get an update pushed to my car on 04/02/21 at 6pm. I haven't gotten anything yet, and my Software screen still shows "Enhanced Autopilot". Got another message in-app yesterday where they asked for a picture of the issue (even though they were supposed to have seen it during my recent service appointment), and then they said I supposedly had a firmware update on 04/01/21. I told them I hadn't received any OTA since picking the car up from them on 04/01.... i wonder if the OTA they think I got was just the standard software redeploy after the new handle got installed.

Anyways, I also got emailed one of those "how did we do" survey emails from Tesla, so I made sure to let them know that issue is still unresolved
Same here. Mine still not updated yet, showing EAP. And those ppl kept asking me photos even if I submitted them at the time I made the request for the service. It seems like it is their default customer service manual xD

BTW, my car has another issue of screen turning off while driving(which gave me a panic for the first time), requested for the service, and they told me that OTA will be provided for the update but nope. never happened. It is so weird that they already installed the new MCU, the full self driving computer and still makes such issue.