Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot versus Adaptive Cruise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys, thanks for being super helpful with my questions. I have another one.

My current vehicle has adaptive cruise control (ACC). I set the speed, and then it maintains up to that speed, at a safe and consistent distance from the vehicle in front. It's a useful feature and although I don't "need" it, I do find it helpful.

I didn't option Autopilot on the Model S I have ordered because I like being in control of the vehicle. I am sure you'll all tell me to get over it (and I probably will) but does the Model S without Autopilot operate exactly the same as other vehicles with ACC, or is it "old fashioned" cruise control where I'll need to maintain the distance from the vehicle in front manually?

Regards, Dale

Hi guys, thanks for being super helpful with my questions. I have another one.

My current vehicle has adaptive cruise control (ACC). I set the speed, and then it maintains up to that speed, at a safe and consistent distance from the vehicle in front. It's a useful feature and although I don't "need" it, I do find it helpful.

I didn't option Autopilot on the Model S I have ordered because I like being in control of the vehicle. I am sure you'll all tell me to get over it (and I probably will) but does the Model S without Autopilot operate exactly the same as other vehicles with ACC, or is it "old fashioned" cruise control where I'll need to maintain the distance from the vehicle in front manually?

Regards, Dale

On original cars without V1 enabled by Tesla it's "old fashioned cruise control" where the driver needs to pay attention, although you do get a very sharp warning if the car in front is slowing faster than your car, not sure about new cars but if you spend many hours in stop start freeway traffic it's the go.

Reactions: dalec
On original cars without V1 enabled by Tesla it's "old fashioned cruise control" where the driver needs to pay attention, although you do get a very sharp warning if the car in front is slowing faster than your car, not sure about new cars but if you spend many hours in stop start freeway traffic it's the go.

New cars are the same. I had no autopilot for 1 month until I decided to buy it at the reduced trial price. The cruise is not adaptive without autopilot.

Reactions: dalec and ARMARM
I enabled 60 day trial for AP and noticed my AP price is now $5k. Is it the same for everyone or is it reduced during trial?

(Reduced price appears to be at least $800 less than if you option it prior to delivery due to luxury car tax and stamp duty)

>> Seems like new owners are better of financially purchasing after taking delivery as per Fantomsss findings<<

Can you elaborate? What findings are you referring to? Do you have a link?

Right Here -> Autopilot versus Adaptive Cruise?

Sales guy also said to me today that the inventory stock they have now includes autopilot for free! Makes my decision a bit easier :D

Reactions: dalec