Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot vs comma.ai

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have any experience with Comma.ai? It's an add-on AP like software/hardware kit (essentially plugs into the OBD2 port and has a cellphone-like device that sits under your rearview mirror. It's only full featured on a handful of cars so far, but it's EXTREMELY impressive.

My friend has it in his Rav4 Hybrid, and they are getting ahead of the curve on AP1/2 quickly. Dead center lane tracking, inputs to the wheel just correct but do not disengage the steering (my favorite feature of Volvo's implementation also) and they now just enabled the driver facing camera that results in no nags unless your attention shifts for an extended period. Updates are also coming out 2 weeks or so with significant enhancements.

Reactions: scottf200
..,uhhh there’s some thread here where the NHTSA asked for that product to be removed ....

George Hotz's ‘comma one’ cancelled

That is weird. They are going full-on now (article was from 2016), and beginning work on AP enabled cars as well. Not sure where it will end up (assuming someone will buy them), but within the last month or two they went from a somewhat jerky ACC and very minor steering to far exceeding my AP2 X.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
That is weird. They are going full-on now (
article was from 2016), and beginning work on AP enabled cars as well. Not sure where it will end up (assuming someone will buy them), but within the last month or two they went from a somewhat jerky ACC and very minor steering to far exceeding my AP2 X.
yes, I follow these guys. I have TMC thread related to their planned stoplight support. See: comma.ai: announces stopsign/red-light 'AP' - needs 10 cm GPS loc

Their supported cars listed here: commaai/openpilot