TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Autopilot vs FRUITS!!

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by tesluhvanlife, May 6, 2018.

?

What object would you use in the steering wheel?

1. Water Bottle

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. Other Fruit

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Basketball

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Other

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  1. tesluhvanlife

tesluhvanlife Member

Check-out the time when I discovered that fruits are the key to TRUE autopilot.

• Disagree x 5
  2. Electroman

Electroman Well-Known Member

I am also getting tired of the frequent nags. It makes AP less useful and more stressful with more distraction. Sometimes it does not even beep and throws me into the no-AP-for-you jail. When the road is open, straight with clearly marked lanes and I am going at below the speed limit there is no reason to be such a nag nanny.

You know there is a social rule that when the citizens feel they are taxed too much and unfairly, they will try every means to cheat the taxman. Even the most honest and conscientious and well respected citizen will disobey and cheat, because he genuinely doesn't think he is doing anything wrong.

I think we are on that territory with the AP nags.

• Love x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. sperkin

sperkin Member

My AP used to bug me every 10-30 seconds for the first 3 days. I wanted to kick the Sht out of my car. it's up to 1-3 minutes now. Not too bad but my commute to work is like 2 hours That's around 60 nagging AP warnings. Wish I never paid EAP. It's easier to just drive it myself. EAP is like a Nest camera and a Roomba babysitting your kids.

• Love x 3
    • Funny x 1
  4. tpatana

tpatana Member

I never used one so I'm confused. Can't you sort of hold your hand on the wheel and it's good enough? Or where you hands are occupied while driving?

5. Phrixotrichus

Phrixotrichus Member

#5 Phrixotrichus, May 6, 2018
    Last edited: May 7, 2018
    Even if that thread is only meant as a joke....

There have been 2 fatal AP crashes already so it`s not exactly funny to promote stupid ideas like this.
    Tesla`s AP is just a level 2 system and nothing more.

• Like x 8
    • Disagree x 1
  6. fseir

fseir Member

Hope they are working on getting that selfie camera up and running. Would be nice to get some super-cruise-like driver monitoring to eliminate the steering wheel nags.

• Like x 3
    • Love x 1
  7. Skysurfer

Skysurfer Member

That is exactly how you are supposed to use it, with your hand resting on the wheel ready to take over if necessary. Having survived the last 50,000 miles on my vehicle, with about 35,000 of that on autopilot, I can tell you it is no issue at all to rest your hand on the wheel. Some other commenters are wanting to fiddle with other things while driving, which is outside the current capabilities and how we end up with these fatalities.

• Like x 2
  8. Stellavator

Stellavator Member

Guys in the video are idiots. He was looking down at a Snapchat story while at the wheel. He is going to kill somebody with that kind of stupidity.

• Like x 3
  9. mtndrew1

mtndrew1 Member

I just keep my right hand resting on the bottom of the steering wheel and watch the traffic around me while it’s doing its thing.

Particularly in heavy commuting traffic and on long distance freeway slogs this reduces my tension and processing overhead from driving and I arrive more relaxed at my destination.

Looking forward to level 3 and beyond someday but we’re not there yet.

• Like x 3
    • Helpful x 1
  10. EinSV

EinSV Active Member

With one hand resting at the bottom of the steering wheel I never have a nag, am very comfortable and can quickly take over if need be. Overriding AP safety features is irresponsible IMO.

• Like x 3
    • Helpful x 1
  11. calvinvle

calvinvle Member

Use a stress ball.

12. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Give me some sugar baby

So he was like 90% of the <40 year old population behind the wheel today? Because pretty much everywhere I go all I see are teen/twenty/thirty somethings looking at their phone in their hand while simultaneously trying to drive their car.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  13. Electroman

Electroman Well-Known Member

#13 Electroman, May 7, 2018
    Last edited: May 7, 2018
    Okay guys, lets be honest here. One hand on the wheel - or - one hand on you-know-where makes little difference to the safety of your driving.

What increases safety are these things:

a) watching the road

b) being on heightened alert when you see road conditions ahead that might confuse AP, or situations that we know AP doesn't do well (lane splitting, lane drops, curves, poor lanes, someone cutting you closely in slow traffic etc..)

c) being observant of your surroundings.

You could keep both the hands and the other thing also on the wheel, it doesn't mean a diddly if you are not doing the three things I mentioned above. And you know what, you could do those three things and be ready to take the wheel in a jiffy *without* keeping your hand on the wheel.

So if you decide to silence AP nags, it doesn't matter if you do it by lazily keeping one hand on the wheel, or have an orange to do the job.

Another thing: for many people their hands are not heavy enough that resting on the wheel does not stop nag nanny.

• Helpful x 2
    • Like x 2
  14. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Well said. Lately, I've noticed that resting a hand on the wheel does exactly nothing to reduce the nags, which now can occur less than a minute apart. It's past annoying. It's now more dangerous to have to keep checking the IC for the flashing perimeter instead of keeping eyes on the road.

This is yet another area for which AP1 was superior to AP2. With AP1 there was a chime and that was *much* more effective than this flashing border thing. Regression in action right there. I understand now that even with AP1 one is subject to the much less effective flashing border malaise.

I don't use citrus, water bottles, or fishing weights when roadtripping - not because I'm averse to it but because I keep forgetting to bring any of that stuff and once on the road, I'm not stopping at a grocery store for an orange. Just not gonna do it (George Bush voice). If I ever see an orange at a truck stop, I'll consider it I guess. Except I stop at truck stops when I'm hungry so I'd probably eat the orange. The horror.

Since everyone else seems to be waiting for *.20.x to be the be all end all of bugfix releases, then maybe it will Relax the Nag as well.

The Nag, if missed sufficiently, also creates a less safe driving experience by disabling AutoSteer until the car is put into Park. Just a poor implementation all the way around.

I'd much prefer to have stable AutoSteer, the chime alert brought back, and to keep my eyes on the road as much as possible. Heresy, I know. Maybe it's still this way with AP1 cars but I don't think so since a number of software releases ago.

And so it goes. Still the safest car on the road - but it could be safer still. Excellence is getting from 99% to 99.999%, yep yep.

15. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

Haven't watched that video yet, but perhaps some folks can knock some sense into the OP of the thread at Autopilot steering wheel hack. Look at his reaction when it's clear he doesn't care about the others that share the road with him.

If the worst consequence is that he gets himself killed and nobody else could suffer injury and property damage, I'd say "yes, go for it!" Unfortunately, that's not how the world works.

16. nogajim

nogajim Member

I've only gotten a couple hours behind the wheel, but I really didn't think keeping at least one hand on the wheel was a big deal. It will have to get a lot more reliable before I trust it enough to not monitor it.

17. Pkmmte

Pkmmte Le meow

I've accidentally disabled autopilot thanks to the constant nagging before. It gets so annoying to have to apply some force to the steering wheel every minute for an hour that it becomes frustrating and I accidentally applied a little too much force during a slight curve. Luckily there were no cars around, but I really wish it wouldn't nag so much.

I don't even use my phone while driving, so having to constantly nudge the steering wheel every minute is more of a distraction.

18. John Lamoureux

John Lamoureux l Parzival l

What I REALLY want is TACC for those stop-n-go traffic jams during my commute. I wish I could pay something like a grand just to get that...