Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot vs FSD question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I have a somewhat early model 3 (in the first 10k) and I'm a bit confused about what FSD offers vs what my car currently has. From what I can tell, my car already has the following:
1) Navigate on autopilot on highway
2) Auto lane change on highway
3) Autopark
4) Summon

I keep getting notifications in the app about FSD and finally clicked on it today. It's $5k and lists the following as features:
1) Navigate on Autopilot
2) Auto Lane Change
3) Autopark
4) Summon
5) Traffic light and Stop Sign Control

Is there any difference between the 1-4 FSD features and what my car already has or is it literally $5k for just traffic light and stop sign control?

I understand that FSD will keep improving over time. I'm just confused about what the $5k for FSD would get me at this moment.

You don't have autopilot, you have Enhanced Autopilot- which Tesla stopped selling after Feb 2019.

Basically from late 2016 through then your options were:

EAP for $5000 with the features you list (plus TACC and autosteer)

FSD for $3000 more (later raised to 4k, and now 5k) on top of EAP- which until a couple months ago added literally no features but now adds stoplight/stop sign control. More features are promised later as well.

DISCLAIMER: the one other thing you'd get with FSD right now (or as soon as you can get an appointment at a service center) is your driving computer (currently HW2.5) would be upgraded to the much more powerful FSD computer- though this difference doesn't mean a TON at the moment, it's what will be needed to support all new features going forward.

From March 2019 onward the options were instead:

Basic AP (JUST TACC and autosteer)- which was $3000 briefly, and then became "included" with all versions of the car except the SR, in exchange for a $2000 raise in price of car.

FSD for $5000 (later raised to 6k, then 7k, and now 8k)- which adds on top of basic AP all the other stuff that used to be in EAP, plus the stoplight/stop sign control, plus any future new features coming later.... (and the FSD computer upgrade if you need it)

Thanks all. In that case I'm gonna have to pass on the $5k "upgrade". While I find autopilot very useful on the highway, I really have no interest in using it around town on city streets. I'd be a buyer at $2k max just for the newer computer as I'm sure the features I already have would benefit from that at some point.

I too have early 2018 with EAP and also thought $5K too pricey for HW3 and better visualization since FSD still likely quite awhile away. But did think it would be worth around $2K. Last week Tesla sent me an email offering me HW3 and FSD for $3K. Offer was good thru 6/30 - so I decided to take it before they keep raising price. Now I just need to wait for Service center to get the HW3 back in stock.