Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot vs FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Getting close to ordering a MS LR and have a question about the FSD option.

My current 2019 MS with FSD is driven on the highway exclusively using TACC and auto steer, not FSD or NOA. I enjoy making lane changes with just a touch of the turn signal lever on auto pilot.

My question is: If I order the new model S without the full self driving option, with only basic auto pilot in its current iteration, will I still be able to drive using TACC and auto steer as well as lane changing with a touch of the lever? The lane change feature is not clearly mentioned on the current website.

Thank you,

Ron

...be able to drive using TACC and auto steer as well as lane changing with a touch of the lever...
No.

The order page is very clear of what is included in $12,000:

"Full Self-Driving Capability​

$12,000

1. Navigate on Autopilot
  2. Auto Lane Change
  3. Autopark
  4. Summon
  5. Full Self-Driving Computer
  6. Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control"
Notice, if you didn't pay $12,000, you won't get any of the above 6. Your question is the item#2 Auto Lane Change.

Getting close to ordering a MS LR and have a question about the FSD option.

My current 2019 MS with FSD is driven on the highway exclusively using TACC and auto steer, not FSD or NOA. I enjoy making lane changes with just a touch of the turn signal lever on auto pilot.

My question is: If I order the new model S without the full self driving option, with only basic auto pilot in its current iteration, will I still be able to drive using TACC and auto steer as well as lane changing with a touch of the lever? The lane change feature is not clearly mentioned on the current website.

Thank you,

Ron
You say you aren’t using FSD on your current vehicle, but you are using an FSD-bundled feature.

No turn signal lane changes without FSD.

Reactions: 2101Guy
You'll get the Full Self Driving computer either way (i.e. if you later decide to add FSD you don't need new hardware), but if you don't purchase FSD you won't have access to 1-4, 6. After having tried the subscription for a couple of months, basic autopilot is just fine for me. It includes TACC and autosteer, but will not have lane changing while on autosteer. When you change lanes and autosteer is enabled, it will turn off TACC. So you'll need to reactive TACC after lane changes. But if you don't enable autosteer and just use TACC, you can change lanes and TACC is maintained.

• Helpful
Reactions: X-pilot
No.

The order page is very clear of what is included in $12,000:

"Full Self-Driving Capability​

$12,000

1. Navigate on Autopilot
  2. Auto Lane Change
  3. Autopark
  4. Summon
  5. Full Self-Driving Computer
  6. Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control"
Notice, if you didn't pay $12,000, you won't get any of the above 6. Your question is the item#2 Auto Lane Change.
#2 wasn’t clear to me as it did not distinguish between auto lane change as might happen with NOA vs. driver-initiated, one-tap lane change with just autopilot. But the answer is now clear; no driver initiated one tap lane changes without FSD.

Thanks!

I wish Tesla would offer Auto Lane Change as a separate purchase option for people who just want that feature without spending $12k for FSD. Honestly that is the only feature I missed on my Y with only Auto Pilot.

#2 wasn’t clear to me as it did not distinguish between auto lane change as might happen with NOA vs. driver-initiated, one-tap lane change with just autopilot. But the answer is now clear; no driver initiated one tap lane changes without FSD.

Thanks!
Correct. Auto Lane Change can be done automatically:

1) without a human decision (Navigation on Autopilot)

OR

2) automatically with the human decision as you have FSD but not running Navigation on Autopilot and it never automatically changes Lane and it never automatically turns into a freeway exit until human makes a decision to change lane, act only with a turn signal, then the system would take over the task of Auto Lane Change.

Either way, with the human decision or without, it still costs $12,000.

I assume you have this figured out by now, but the feature you describe, blinkered lane changes, is a function of Enhanced Autopilot, which is once again available for purchase. It is included with FSD. The way it is described on the tesla web site does not reflect how it works in my 2018 S-100D. With one tap on the cruse stalk, you get what I call adaptive cruise control which performs speed maintenance and distance control ahead. No steering. With two taps, you engage Enhanced Auto Pilot which performs auto lane centering, steering, and if you blinker the lane change, EAP will perform the lane change when safe.. That is not how I understand it works with FSD. With FSD, two taps engages FSD and the computer will perform lane changes without intervention, to maintain speeds up to maximum you have defined. In my case, it is speed limit plus 10%.