Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot, what do I have?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In your case, if the car was indeed in the possession of Tesla sometime after it was first sold and before you got it, Tesla has the right to remove the feature. Since the 3rd party dealer said it didn't have FSD and you bought it based upon that statement, finding out you indeed have FSD now, you shouldn't feel like being robbed if Telsa eventually settles their books and remotely removes FSD. Consider it a "trial offer".

Ah, I think that directly applies to what the OP has posted:
  • @good1973 purchased used vehicle from 3rd party (i.e., not directly from Tesla)
  • irregardless of the fact that the 3rd party dealer said this car was without FSD, @good1973 says it does (by checking menus)
  • we must therefore assume that FSD was purchased sometime beforehand
  • then, the car will retain FSD as long as the car was not in the hands of Tesla between the time it was sold from the original owner and when the 3rd party dealer got a hold of it
  • @good1973 needs to verify the chain of ownership

Until @good1973 says that they have proof from someone else purchasing it for that vin, I still feel its different... because there are plenty of cases of tesla "forgetting to turn off a free trial" and that person selling the car, and then tesla performing an internal audit and "removing the free trial". If even the dealer says "this car doesnt have FSD" but its active on that car, it could be as simple as the last owner accepting a trial. There should be no expectation from @good1973 of keeping that FSD since the car was not sold by the selling dealer as not having it.

if it stays, they should feel lucky, but there shouldnt be an expectation that it should stay there. This is different (imo) to OP, who has proof that it was purchased on his vin supplied to him by the original purchaser. As long as the car never touched tesla hands in between, then the OP of this thread should get to keep it. If at any point tesla owned that car, OP wouldnt... but OP states tesla never owned the car.

That just seems like highway robbery. You leave the car lot with a particular accessory and they snatch it away.
This accessory is unique because unlike a typical accessory, it can't be removed unless they physically have access to the car.
In this case it can be removed remotely. That seems so unfair. I purchased my car with what it had when i drove off the lot.

People make this argument all the time, but its not the case with FSD (and also not with things like e-books etc). You can try to argue that till your blue in the face but it wont matter... especially since the car was sold as not having it.

Until @good1973 says that they have proof from someone else purchasing it for that vin, I still feel its different... because there are plenty of cases of tesla "forgetting to turn off a free trial" and that person selling the car, and then tesla performing an internal audit and "removing the free trial".
Okay, I see your point. We'll have to wait upon @good1973 to find out if proof of purchase can be obtained AND ownership never went back to Tesla.

Okay, I see your point. We'll have to wait upon @good1973 to find out if proof of purchase can be obtained AND ownership never went back to Tesla.
Well i doubt they will put forth any effort. I specifically had a conversation with the dealer and he said i could get the upgrade for 6k.
The car had less than 10k miles on it, which leads me to believe a previous owner is unlikely. Unless someone just didn't like the car for whatever reason.

If by "conversation with the dealer" you mean Tesla, then you may already have shot yourself in the foot. If you told Tesla that you were looking to add FSD AND also gave them your identity (i.e., your car's VIN), then they could look and see that the car already has it (according to your statement) and look further into why you would want to buy something you already had.

Not sure what you mean by "previous owner is unlikely". Plenty of people give up cars for an almost infinite number of reasons. The only things that matters in your case is if FSD was purchased by any previous owner AND Tesla never held title on it in the meantime. If YES to both, then you should be able to enjoy FSD at a good deal. After all, the 3rd party seller said it didn't have it, and probably priced it accordingly, and you bought the car based on that info.

If by "conversation with the dealer" you mean Tesla, then you may already have shot yourself in the foot. If you told Tesla that you were looking to add FSD AND also gave them your identity (i.e., your car's VIN), then they could look and see that the car already has it (according to your statement) and look further into why you would want to buy something you already had.

Not sure what you mean by "previous owner is unlikely". Plenty of people give up cars for an almost infinite number of reasons. The only things that matters in your case is if FSD was purchased by any previous owner AND Tesla never held title on it in the meantime. If YES to both, then you should be able to enjoy FSD at a good deal. After all, the 3rd party seller said it didn't have it, and probably priced it accordingly, and you bought the car based on that info.
Conversation with the dealer = 3rd party dealer