Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot with Navigation needs a bit of work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The point of autopilot is not to let you take your hands of the wheel.
When you drive, do you see the blue lines (single, or double) when AutoPilot is engaged?
When the car is swinging, as you say, are the painted lanes very wide, faded, or intermittent (car can get confused and the blue lines will be wobbly in those situations) or are they normal lines?

You say "now work at all", you're saying it won't keep you in the lanes and handle mild curves on highway?

I have full FSD and all latest hardware. My Autopilot and FSD do not work at all. Autopilot (Autosteer and Traffic Aware Cruise Control, lane change) not working at all. If I am driving on HWY empty very good marked lines 70km/h I CAN'T remove my hands from wheel even on 10-15 sec. Vehicle not hold on the road, vehicle not hold very smooth curves and start swinging. I did big mistake bought FSD and my advise to you don't do my mistake.
That isn’t my experience at all. Autosteer and TACC work very reliably for me. I’ve been using these features for 5 years in 3 different cars, both AP1 and EAP/FSD. Maybe you have a hardware issue that requires service.

The point of autopilot is not to let you take your hands of the wheel.
When you drive, do you see the blue lines (single, or double) when AutoPilot is engaged?
When the car is swinging, as you say, are the painted lanes very wide, faded, or intermittent (car can get confused and the blue lines will be wobbly in those situations) or are they normal lines?

You say "now work at all", you're saying it won't keep you in the lanes and handle mild curves on highway?
When Autopilot engaged only showing BLUE WHEEL on a screen. No any blue lines, only grey lanes. HWY what I driven was absolutely perfect and marked well. Maximum how long I can keep my hands off the wheel 10- 15 sec. If a small SMOOTH curve car swing and it's a danger. I not talking about lane change, reducing speed automatically, distance control - that's all FANTASTIC!!! for my vehicle( never worked). I am just talk about strait forward drive on empty roads. My screen show full FSD capability and latest hardware. For me I have this or don't the same- useless and not working with no any help from Tesla.

That isn’t my experience at all. Autosteer and TACC work very reliably for me. I’ve been using these features for 5 years in 3 different cars, both AP1 and EAP/FSD. Maybe you have a hardware issue that requires service.
Vehicle only one month old ( with software 2021.3.104) and showing on a screen full FSD capability ( I am ordered my car with full FSD) and HW 3 and Tesla agent # 7 says no any errors!!!!

Last edited:
will Aug, 12 but agent say old hardware and when I asked when it's will be updated? Answer- I don't know!!!!
Your car came from the factory with firmware 2021.3.104. According to TeslaFi (a website that keeps track of what firmwares are found in the Tesla fleet), there have only been 14 cars reported with this software version and this firmware has only been noticed during the last two weeks. I'm guessing that this version is the default factory firmware that Tesla is using. It probably does not have all the options enabled.

Your car should have updated by now from this factory firmware. Service will figure it out for you and then all your options will work.

Your car came from the factory with firmware 2021.3.104. According to TeslaFi (a website that keeps track of what firmwares are found in the Tesla fleet), there have only been 14 cars reported with this software version and this firmware has only been noticed during the last two weeks. I'm guessing that this version is the default factory firmware that Tesla is using. It probably does not have all the options enabled.

Your car should have updated by now from this factory firmware. Service will figure it out for you and then all your options will work.
Absolutely agree, that's I am thinking too. Thanks.

Right...I am saying that it's not the lack of a lengthy off-ramp (to give the car enough time to move into the exit lane), but rather some kind of map data problem at your exit that makes the car think that the off-ramp (that it should be taking) is not actually the one that it should take.
Finally figured it out, sort of...
This morning I glanced at the "distance to exit" read out.
Capture.JPG

At the beginning of the deceleration lane, the distance to showed ~400 feet
The distance to reached 0 feet right when the car was at the solid white line (end access to the deceleration lane),
The good news is it's a GPS mapping issue. The bad news is that it's nearly impossible to report errors to Tesla
Waze, Apple Maps, Google Maps all have a report issues feature, but not Tesla maps. I tried reaching out to the mapping company mapbox?? to no avail

So, the good news is this error makes sense.
The bad news is 99% of drivers using Navigation will have a problem at this exit

Last edited:
I have a daily commute of 60 miles rounds trip all highway. Purchased FSD on a radarless MY. For the most part it's amazing. How I've described it to friends to 98% it's a dream but that last 2% will cause you to sh!t yourself from a sudden move the car will make.

Areas that I've seen it struggle are highway interchanges where the speed limit technically doesn't decrease (yellow speed advisory sign) so the car is still ripping down at highway speeds. Supposedly it will slow when it reads the curve but I'm not brave enough to trust it. Also, really struggles with cars that are merging onto the highway even if the we each have our own lanes. Camera isn't picking up the on ramp but sees a car that seems to be angling into my lane and slams on the breaks. Has happened enough times that I'll either move over or disengage.

I'd love to see NoA get some love from Tesla.

The good news is it's a GPS mapping issue. The bad news is that it's nearly impossible to report errors to Tesla
Waze, Apple Maps, Google Maps all have a report issues feature, but not Tesla maps. I tried reaching out to the mapping company mapbox?? to no avail
Do you know for sure that this is a Tesla-specific issue? Tesla gets some mapping data from Google Maps, so if it’s wrong there, you could report it to Google.

So, the good news is this error makes sense.
The bad news is 99% of drivers using Navigation will have a problem at this exit
there are some odd gps bugs, that's for sure.

I live at an address that is of the form "202 foo drive" and yet, what does it display when I park at my location? "4 foo drive".

its like it literally ADDED the 2, the 0 and the 2 and came up with 4. how else would it come up with that? someone snuck an eval() in there, as a c++ decorator? lol

no way to report it, have been seeing it the last 2 years of ownership. I can understand getting the addr wrong; but there is no '4 foo drive' (names changed to protect innocent) anywhere near here, they are all 3 digit numeric.

tesla takes map data and 'does stuff' to it. their qa process is a bit lacking, I would say.

(fwiw, all web based maps show my correct 3 digit addr; so its only the tesla that gets it wrong)

How I've described it to friends...
I got you beat... I say, it's like driving with a teenager and the car is the marriage of the best of iOS 15 and the worst of Win98

Do you know for sure that this is a Tesla-specific issue?
Not sure how I can determine. Don't know anyone who has an autonomous non-Tesla vehicle
It's not like a missing exit, or a mislabeled road. In this situation, how does one report the specific point at which Tesla is being told there's an exit?
The map has the exit, it's just that the map image (showing the exit deceleration lane) doesn't jive with the "distance to..." feature (which locks out the ability for the car to move over).
Not a big deal, since I've driven the road daily for the last 17 years, but mainly concerned for strangers to the area using FSD, as well,...if this bug exists at this interchange, how many others have bugs (is this the only exit ramp in the country that's incorrectly coded?)

Reactions: fo_Sean
Do you know for sure that this is a Tesla-specific issue? Tesla gets some mapping data from Google Maps, so if it’s wrong there, you could report it to Google.
No one except for Tesla employees really knows exactly what the navigation dataset is based on. The common speculation is that Google only provides the map overlays in the UI. Other map information is derived from Open Street Maps. The actual routing is based on software from Mapbox.

Areas that I've seen it struggle are highway interchanges where the speed limit technically doesn't decrease (yellow speed advisory sign) so the car is still ripping down at highway speeds. Supposedly it will slow when it reads the curve but I'm not brave enough to trust it
I don't have any evidence, but I'd be willing to bet that's where these cars get into problems/accidents.
When the car speeds into a tight curve on an interchange, or on the highway, the driver's natural reaction kicks in as they're not sure if the car will slow or barrel into the side wall or lane divider... so they tightly grip the wheel (and hold their breath), and possibly jiggle the wheel enough to kick off auto pilot. Presumably (again 100% guesswork here) driver might not be fully aware that they're in control and required to drive through the curve....problem!
Today, while testing Navigation on Autopilot, my car was passing a piggyback trailer truck at 70 on a curve with a few feet between me and the cement divider. I kept fighting the urge to grab the wheel and I let the car handle it. It was nerve wracking.
The car passed the test, but I can see this many in this scenario inadvertently overriding at the worst possible time.

A real leap of faith

At the beginning of the deceleration lane, the distance to showed ~400 feet
The distance to reached 0 feet right when the car was at the solid white line (end access to the deceleration lane),
I’m wrong. All exits count down from the beginning and get to 0 when the solid white divider appears. This exit was normal and car should have exited.
I reported this to service, hopefully they’ll get to the bottom of this flaw

Follow up...
Upgraded to 2021.32.22 and the car now takes the exit.
Mine as well. Forever, both the northbound and southbound exits nearest my house were simply "overlooked" by AP - it would not take these exits unless forced to. Interestingly, the NB and SB exits are not the same exit due to the highway design but both are clearly nearest my house. With 2021.32.22, it will now take these exits appropriately. It's had that bug for several years.

Mine as well. Forever, both the northbound and southbound exits nearest my house were simply "overlooked" by AP - it would not take these exits unless forced to. Interestingly, the NB and SB exits are not the same exit due to the highway design but both are clearly nearest my house. With 2021.32.22, it will now take these exits appropriately. It's had that bug for several years.
I'm willing to believe my complaints to Service did the trick. I detailed the issue thoroughly, including setting a few "bug reports", and dash cam videos.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: KArnold