TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Autopilot with Vinyl Wrap: Does it hinder performance?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by musicious, Oct 15, 2015.

1. musicious

musicious Member

I have vinyl wrap and my Tesla is in service till next week so I haven't had a chance to try Autopilot. Can someone confirm if vinyl wrap covering the radar and sensors limits the functionality of Autopilot? I didn't seem to have much issue with TACC (tho it may have relied more on the camera which isnt covered in wrap) before but hardly used it and when parking the sensors didnt seem to be very consistent in detecting objects. With autopilot it should show how well the sensors are working.

2. jak

jak Member

I had my previous older P85 wrapped with 3M 1080 vinyl and it had no effect on the wrapped parking sensors. I'm planning on wrapping the new autopilot-capable car in a few weeks and hoping for the same "no-effect" with the newer ultrasonic/parking sensors.

3. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Your detailer should have cut out the holes for the ultrasonic sensors. The radar sensor is down low on the grill, no paint there and not a place anyone would wrap.

4. SFPD

SFPD Member

Wraps have no effect on the ultrasonic sensors. Doesn't matter if holes are cut or not.