Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot: words, definition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to Merriam-Webster online abridged (I'm not at home to look at 3rd), autopilot is steering in place of a person. Extended to modern meaning, it is full operation in place of a person.

What I believe Tesla fw v7.0 is is partial autopilot. I think the lawyers, marketers, manual writers, Tesla, and Elon himself should correct their usage to be accurate, and say partial autopilot. Autonomous is another word altogether, but autopilot almost means the same thing, so pretending it doesn't by using two words is wrong, doesn't work, and is dangerous.

Anything I didn't think of?

You're thinking of 'autonomous driving' as you mentioned which isn't what Tesla released. In aviation I believe autopilot is used the but pilot must be there at all times paying attention and ready to take over. Exactly what Tesla tells drivers to do each and every time they use auto-steering portion of autopilot.

Found this
U.S. Department of Transportation Releases Policy on Automated Vehicle Development | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

Autopilot appears to be Combined Function Automation (Level 2)