Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot worse after latest Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You’re missing the point. Lidar is not the key. It’s also not about hardware. Timelines are important. Inference is the most important.

Inference? Of what?

Anyway, I don’t put much stock in what the old guard thinks is necessary. Until a few years ago, all the top “experts” were sure the best ways to accomplish image recognition were with hand-made features and that neural networks would never outperform them. That lasted right up until the first time a CNN blew them out of the water. More recently, that’s been happening with image processing. People tend to be skeptical that a new technology can render all of their decades of expertise irrelevant, until it decidedly does.

Last edited:
Inference? Of what?

Anyway, I don’t put much stock in what the old guard thinks is necessary. Until a few years ago, all the top “experts” were sure the best ways to accomplish image recognition were with hand-made features and that neural networks would never outperform them. That lasted right up until the first time a CNN blew them out of the water. More recently, that’s been happening with image processing. People tend to be skeptical that a new technology can render all of their decades of expertise irrelevant, until it decidedly does.

Shrug, I won't keep arguing. Time will tell.

It's definitely way overnervous for braking now on autopilot. If phantom braking was bad before, it's much worse now on 2019.8.5. The car will brake gently, sometimes slam the brakes, atleast averaging once every 5-10 km highway driving.

Reactions: weradln
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to say that with the latest update that was pushed through my AP2.0 has become much worse and erratic than it was before. I own a 2016 Model S with AP2.0 hardware. At first the AP was absolutely unusable. Then sometime in 2017 they pushed a major update that brought up about lane change and those features but still AP was jamming brakes under underpasses and the steering was veering side to side in a lane. Fast forward another few years and they made some more tweaks/updates and the AP started performing quite well. Still not perfect but much closer to original AP1.0 performance.

Then about a month or so ago perhaps March 2019, Tesla pushed a new update with the whole Atari game and a few other things including a big update for AP. Ever since that update not just my AP but also just adaptive cruise control (ACC) has become so much worse. I find AP/ACC again jamming the brakes under bridges and underpasses. Not always but it has happened a few times now whereas in the past it had completely stopped doing that.

Then I have noticed that even while driving in a straight line I find the car moving forward in a very jerky way. It's like someone is constantly pressing and releasing the accelerator aggressively. And then a couple of times while changing lanes my ACC slammed the brakes so hard that it literally made our hearts blast out of our chests. The car was traveling at about 70mph and it literally slammed the brakes for a second at multiple occasions.

Have any of you experienced the same situation with the new update? I would love to hear your views to see if anyone is having an experience similar to mine. I have absolutely given up hope on Auto HIgh Beam and Auto Wipers ever becoming useful but now if even AP/ACC functionality is going to get worse with updates then it makes no sense.

Please let me know what you folks have experienced in this regard. THank you!
I had the braking problem after the "Atari" update also. It happened on the open road and when I looked at the map screen the car was not on the freeway but on a parallel service road. It was almost the car was trying to stop because of the service road conditions. I took it in when they replaced my P90D battery and have not had the problem since.

I have had the same issues with V9 autopilot releases and they continue to get worse. Unfortunately this is the cost of the autopilot constantly trying to do more and see more around itself before they will eventually smooth things out. My wife often insists I turn it off if there are lots of other cars on the freeway in the other lanes. Sigh.
See here for why it is inevitable:
Phantom braking will get a lot worse before it gets better

archon810 - I also have 2.5 hardware on a Oct 2018 Model 3 AWD ER. I have also noticed the very erratic behavior since last update. Our old 2015 Model S 85D with AP 1.0 hardware drives much smoother and has far less jerking and lane wandering.
Hope they fix this soon as my wife doesn't like using AP anymore as it is too nerve-wracking

Glad to see and also disappointed to see so many others experiencing the same issue with AP after the update.

As I said I’m just sick of being a beta tester for Elon and Tesla 2.5 years after purchasing this car and this particular feature. And for a lot of us Tesla owners I feel because we love this company and want to support green energy initiatives that we have been VERY VERY forgiving or our Teslas’ manufacturing and software flaws. But I feel I’m at the end of my rope here with no other good option to change over to.

The hype Elon/Tesla created on YouTube and social media along with me wanting to do my little part toward moving to green energy alternatives made me spend a decent chunk of money to buy this rather expensive Model S that I drive today. This car isn’t cheap by any standards but the way so many things are so severely half baked in this car makes it not warrant this price tag or the hype. Right from fit and finish issues to ride vibrations to almost unusable autopilot I’m kinda tired of the Tesla kool aid that I have been drinking all this while trying to look away at crap that keeps happening with the car.

We are in need of a second car and I wish wish wish there was another half decent EV alternative out there because I don’t feel like buying into the Tesla BS again. I checked out the Model 3 recently and loved it in the showroom but this time feel very uncomfortable buying a Tesla again.

Funny, I do too. Most I’ve met have admitted at this point that Musk’s way of going for it is the only one that will work. LiDAR is pretty well dead and buried at this point, and it turns out the camera positions on the Model S/3/X are exactly the ones necessary.
I wonder about the camera positions. For example, when you are at a 2 way stop, with the cars traveling at 60mph and you are at a stop sign, how would a FSD Model 3 react to that scenario? It does not have camera's that look left and right down the intersection. When would it go through the intersection and how likely would it be to get him by a car as the Model 3 goes through the intersection? It has no way of knowing a car is going through the intersection. It seems like it needs cameras on the roof looking left, right and behind it.
And with regards to LiDAR, SpaceX uses LiDAR to dock its capsules to the Space Station, so SpaceX/Tesla knows there are some uses for LiDAR.

I wonder about the camera positions. For example, when you are at a 2 way stop, with the cars traveling at 60mph and you are at a stop sign, how would a FSD Model 3 react to that scenario? It does not have camera's that look left and right down the intersection. When would it go through the intersection and how likely would it be to get him by a car as the Model 3 goes through the intersection? It has no way of knowing a car is going through the intersection. It seems like it needs cameras on the roof looking left, right and behind it.
And with regards to LiDAR, SpaceX uses LiDAR to dock its capsules to the Space Station, so SpaceX/Tesla knows there are some uses for LiDAR.

I believe the B-pillar cameras do, in fact, provide coverage of left and right. As I remember, they overlap with the front wide angle on both sides.

It's definitely way overnervous for braking now on autopilot. If phantom braking was bad before, it's much worse now on 2019.8.5. The car will brake gently, sometimes slam the brakes, atleast averaging once every 5-10 km highway driving.
Makes me wonder what the cause really is. Hardware version, hardware defect or software. My car is 2016 MS AP 2.0 MCU1 with 2019.8.5 until last night. I've driven over 7,000 miles, using mostly autopilot on interstate and local streets, in the last few months with this setup or with 2018.50.6 without most of these issues. Everytime a new upgrade is released I see post complaining about this that and the other. And post talking about how it's improved. Could the difference be hardware failure? Camera calibration off or not functioning as designed, a sensor etc.

In recent releases, the AP software uses "Fleet Speed" (speed observed by other Tesla vehicles on the same road section) to automatically reduce speed when operating under NOAP, AutoSteer or TACC, even if this speed is lower than what the software believes is the posted speed limit (which can also be wrong due to errors in the onboard speed limit database).

I encountered 4 to 5 instances of rapid braking during 30 minutes of highway driving earlier this week, which happened in the middle of heavy traffic at highway speeds.

Like past changes to the AP software, this new "feature" is two steps forward and one step back - addressing a problem the AP software had in one area (possibly to improve safety for interchanges and curves) while breaking it elsewhere (slowing down unnecessarily on highways).

Tesla should be tracking the areas where unnecessary braking is occurring and should correct this in subsequent releases.

Until then, I wish there was a way to disable automatic speed adjustment...

Regarding it slamming on the brakes.

Make sure you don’t have the “Road Rage” option enabled in the AutoPilot settings. It will occasionally do a “Brake Check” in anticipation of an upcoming encounter if you have that option enabled. It’s right under “MadMax” lane change option.

Note: This option is only visible to disable if you have EAP or FSD. And requires 500 miles to calibrate.

It’s sort of like the new SuperCharger pre-warming the battery option.

I too noticed negative changes in the last couple of months. The think most irritating to me is the constant motion to keep cenered in the lane. It's so bad that I eventually turn autopilot off because of the constant side to side motion. It seams to get much worse with higher than normal winds. The hard braking when the car for cars slowing to turn is another problem. The hard braking is much too severe.

Reactions: weradln
Regarding it slamming on the brakes.

Make sure you don’t have the “Road Rage” option enabled in the AutoPilot settings. It will occasionally do a “Brake Check” in anticipation of an upcoming encounter if you have that option enabled. It’s right under “MadMax” lane change option.

Note: This option is only visible to disable if you have EAP or FSD. And requires 500 miles to calibrate.

It’s sort of like the new SuperCharger pre-warming the battery option.
I have EAP and paid for FSD. I see no such setting.

• Funny
Reactions: mswlogo
2016 MS with AP2 here, this latest update has made AP very smooth and stable. With 2019.8.5 on AP was seeing regen/throttle/regen when catching up to a car in front of me. Also had brake checks when passing trucks. I don't see that anymore AP has been super smooth on a 500 mile trip I just completed. Fingers crossed it stays that way