Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot - wrong direction on the motorway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does autopilot function when you're driving the wrong way down the motorway?

This evening I had the opportunity to answer this question. Following an incident on the M69 and the subsequent closure of the motorway, the police turned us around on the M69 and directed us to drive in the fast lane with our hazards on. The curious streak in me wondered whether autopilot would operate or not ... surprisingly it performed flawlessly.

Something to remember next time you're in this situation.

This evening I had the opportunity to answer this question. Following an incident on the M69 and the subsequent closure of the motorway, the police turned us around on the M69 and directed us to drive in the fast lane with our hazards on. The curious streak in me wondered whether autopilot would operate or not ... surprisingly it performed flawlessly.

..shame it's not flawless when driving the correct way...

Not surprising. All it needs is two lines. But this reminds me a great joke. An elderly man who hadn't driven in a while decided he was up for taking his car out for a spin. His wife was very concerned but finally relented once he agreed to take his cell phone so she could check in on him. A little while later she heard a news alert on the radio that caused her concern. So she called her husband and told him that she'd just heard of an emergency taking place where a car was driving the wrong way on the motorway. He responded. "One!!! Why there must be a thousand of them."

Not the post I was expecting when I clicked on the link I gotta be honest.

Does raise a bit of a concern though....what if a mapping error or something meant that the car tried to take you onto a motorway in the wrong direction. I.E a new roundabout construction or something along those lines. That could be scary. I think i'd of been happier if somehow the sat nav knew you were going in the wrong direction and refused to engage.

And yes I know, the hooman should/would be paying attention before this happened but still, you never know!

Graphic.

Screenshot_20210426-073844.png

I've used it in contraflow before now (well marked lane, cl;ear edges, but on the wrong side) and it worked fine but it eventually didn't like it, pretty sure just after it passed a junction. I guess roads are divided into stretches/segments and maybe things happen as you leave one to join another even if in practice you're just driving along and to you nothing has really changed. The system dropped out and said "Unavailable" but without any nags

I’ve seen variants of that graph lots of times, but I think it’s misleading since Autopilot usage is probably 90% or more on freeways (Motorways) but the other stats will include a much wider range of road types. We all know that highways are comparatively safe compared to other roads. What we need is accident rate on highways with and without autopilot.

The chart is (hopefully) wrong as it has no active safety and active safety the wrong way round and also the point that many seem to miss is the figures are getting worse if you compare to the same quarter the previous year for all options of Tesla. I suspect they're just statistically insignificant with too few events.