Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While all the goodies work well on the highway. Two lane country roads are problematic. The car slows ABRUPTLY in turns causing safety concerns with following traffic. Also, hard braking occasionally occurs as the car reacts to a vehicle going in the opposite direction. Is there any way to set up a simple type cruise control or are we stuck with all of these wonderful, but sometimes scary features?

Reactions: Shap
So with TACC being the simplest setting we're stuck with possible unsafe behaviors when using AP off highway? I live in a rural area with some long and curvy 2 lane stretches. In previous cars I used cruise control fairly often on them. Now, with my much more sophisticated car I'm back either back on the pedals or having to live with occasional shots of adrenaline.

While all the goodies work well on the highway. Two lane country roads are problematic. The car slows ABRUPTLY in turns causing safety concerns with following traffic. Also, hard braking occasionally occurs as the car reacts to a vehicle going in the opposite direction. Is there any way to set up a simple type cruise control or are we stuck with all of these wonderful, but sometimes scary features?

I had similar issues - it breaks too hard when non needed, but I would accept this if the breaking was less aggressive. I was lucky that nobody rear-ended me.

I have similar issues. I often travel on a 2 lane divided road (Rte 1 RI) that has many intersecting roads with short merge lanes. Often cars enter at below speed, cross 2 lanes of highway to get to a U turn lane to go the opposite direction. As a driver, if I see someone approaching the entrance ramp, I move to the left or right lane depending on timing and maintain speed. If Tesla is in autopilot, it wont change lane because it has the right of way and instead slows abruptly. All of this is logical but also tells me that AI still is no match for SD (shitty drivers).

I agree with FlyBuddy. It definitely makes the "driving" more interesting. No more of the old school, just keep a certain speed cruise. No TACC waits until you are relaxed and comfortable before it "slams" on the ReGen for an unused crosswalk or a curve. Helps to make sure the driver is more alert than usual. Normally quickly followed by "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot". On the highway it's great but 2 lane country roads, those provide a LOT more excitement. TACC definitely is geared to act of the side of caution. My old school cruise helped to keep me from speeding tickets. This new cruise may solve what should I do when I retire dilemma and help the kids to inherit a new car after one too many TACC events.

I agree with FlyBuddy. It definitely makes the "driving" more interesting. No more of the old school, just keep a certain speed cruise. No TACC waits until you are relaxed and comfortable before it "slams" on the ReGen for an unused crosswalk or a curve. Helps to make sure the driver is more alert than usual. Normally quickly followed by "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot". On the highway it's great but 2 lane country roads, those provide a LOT more excitement. TACC definitely is geared to act of the side of caution. My old school cruise helped to keep me from speeding tickets. This new cruise may solve what should I do when I retire dilemma and help the kids to inherit a new car after one too many TACC events.

It's called TACCacardia--here's the description:
"Tachycardia is a condition that makes your heart beat more than 100 times per minute."

• Funny
Reactions: ArtK and Puma2020