Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoPilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use TACC in all speed limited zones, and have the speed limit warning gong enabled (had a couple of speeding fines in recent months).
This morning went past some temporary road works with a manually operated Stop/Go sign, my speed limit changed from 30 mph to 60 mph when it saw the Go sign!
When using TACC I manually change the max speed to the speed limit, but there has been a couple of instances where it has changed itself 50 to 40 to 25 when approaching a junction. Odd behaviour, and repeatable each time I approach the same location. GPS bug maybe?

When using TACC I manually change the max speed to the speed limit, but there has been a couple of instances where it has changed itself 50 to 40 to 25 when approaching a junction. Odd behaviour, and repeatable each time I approach the same location. GPS bug maybe?
Do you have EAP or FSD? I believe they may have some additional functionality for junction speeds that bleeds over into TACC.

I'd add US roads to that too. I follow this guy a lot for his technology reviews. He also happens to own a Tesla.
Definitely not close to being autonomous yet, but it does handle things like roadworks surprisingly well. Interesting that it struggled so much with the roundabouts, but I did notice they are not signposted or uniformly set out with line markings like (most of) ours.

It's interesting that the screen visualisations are so much more detailed and responsive than I see in my car. Can anyone with FSD in the UK comment on what they are like for them? Mine are very laggy and only show very nearby cars, nothing like the draw distance seen when on full FSD in this and other videos I've seen. I just have normal base AP.

I'd be relatively happy with FSD for motorways and then sounding an alarm to notify when we're a couple of miles from the exit so I can take over. Seems logical to me to phase this in with more controlled environments first (like motorways) rather than waiting until you can also do Hangar Lane Gyratory when they've got temporary roadworks and a diversion in place..

I'd be relatively happy with FSD for motorways and then sounding an alarm to notify when we're a couple of miles from the exit so I can take over. Seems logical to me to phase this in with more controlled environments first (like motorways) rather than waiting until you can also do Hangar Lane Gyratory when they've got temporary roadworks and a diversion in place..
Isn't that what Navigate on Autopilot with EAP already does (or is at least supposed to)? Genuine question, I'm not certain.

I'd happily pay a reduced price for a not-quite-FSD system that can reliably drive major roads & motorways, with local roads needing manual driving. It would certainly be a step in the right direction towards automation. Taking an arbitrary point as an example; perhaps roads with a 50 MPH or greater speed limit? That takes away most scenarios where there would be odd junctions to deal with, or parked cars in the way.

Isn't that what Navigate on Autopilot with EAP already does (or is at least supposed to)? Genuine question, I'm not certain.

I'd happily pay a reduced price for a not-quite-FSD system that can reliably drive major roads & motorways, with local roads needing manual driving. It would certainly be a step in the right direction towards automation. Taking an arbitrary point as an example; perhaps roads with a 50 MPH or greater speed limit? That takes away most scenarios where there would be odd junctions to deal with, or parked cars in the way.

not really. In the US its 'better' but in the UK and Europe it doesn't auto lane change - it'll suggest a lane change but you have to confirm with the indicator.

Also its still only supported driving - you need to be paying attention. Proper autonomous I'd want to be able to not pay attention for that part of the trip. its level 2, and we need at least level 3

When I had my M3 (plain AP) that never showed the wheelie bins (by the roadside on "bins day"), whereas my FSD did. I need to check it the EAP MY replacement does. Might have nothing to do with FSD of course.
I have EAP on my Y and it shows cones, people, wheelie bins etc.

I tried using AP once but it didn’t change speed fast enough when coming into a slower limit, and I would have got a ticket from a camera if I hadn’t intervened. I ignored it for as long as possible but had to apply the brakes hard to slow to the correct speed.

We have far too many speed changes and very busy (tourists) roads near Loch Lomond for me to trust it. I couldn’t trust my VW system as it got it wrong more than right and the on/off braking got on my tits.

When I had my M3 (plain AP) that never showed the wheelie bins (by the roadside on "bins day"), whereas my FSD did. I need to check it the EAP MY replacement does. Might have nothing to do with FSD of course.

I have EAP on my Y and it shows cones, people, wheelie bins etc.

There's an option in the settings to turn on FSD visualisations with standard AP. Pretty pointless, but looks flashy for passengers to see cones & wheelie bins.

Reactions: Undecided_2
I think all the visualisations are pointless, doesn’t give me any useful information. I’d like to be able to switch that part of the screen off and have the map filling the screen, or even better have the side cameras either side of the map.

I have my new car as of yesterday.
I set AP to "Speed Limit".

If I am driving on a dual carriage way it detects the 70mph sign, and I engage autopilot - all is good.
Then it detects the 50mph sign correctly, however the TACC/speed is still at 70mph. I can tap the speed limit logo and it will adjust the TACC speed. I thought that AP will automatically adjust when i detects speed limit signs.

What am I doing wrong?
AP (with auto-steer) automatically adjusts your speed for signs, while TACC (without auto-steer) doesn't.

AP (with auto-steer) automatically adjusts your speed for signs, while TACC (without auto-steer) doesn't.

See this video as it seems to very much depend on the road type and unfortunately, the more likely you are to use AP, the less likely it seems to work.

Stumbled on a video here that shows a number of examples of where it detects speed limits. It seems in UK:

- Single carriage way roads - detects speed limit changes and actually changes speed
- Dual Carriage way roads - detects speed limit changes but doesn't change. I'm not sure from the video if this was a map change or it genuinely read the speed limit as it looks like a temporary sign
- Motorways - doesn't even detect speed limit changes

It's also interesting comparison with the BMW system regarding communication. Will be interesting to see when they do the rain and night time videos, if they do. Side by side comparisons on the same road in similar weather are more telling than peoples gut feel.

Not on a dual carriageway or motorway, only on minor roads (which is counter-productive, because technically AP is not recommended for use on those roads yet).
Good point. It basically only works on single carriageways. I use it on the A5 and it adjusts speed between 60 and 50 zones etc on AP, but TACC ignores those speed limit changes. There is however one exception I can think of. The A43 dual-carriageway coming through Towcester has a 40 mph section that AP actually picks up. It's not much use though as it steams in at 70 before hitting the anchors well after the 40 mph sign. If you relied on it to brake automatically, it would be way too late.

I use it on the A5 and it adjusts speed between 60 and 50 zones etc on AP, but TACC ignores those speed limit changes. There is however one exception I can think of. The A43 dual-carriageway coming through Towcester has a 40 mph section that AP actually picks up.

Just curious. Is NoA available on those sections? What about the adjacent sections where speed limit changes are not picked up?

Is there any correlation between NoA availability and whether speed limit recognition and/or compliance is enabled?

Last edited:
Good point. It basically only works on single carriageways. I use it on the A5 and it adjusts speed between 60 and 50 zones etc on AP, but TACC ignores those speed limit changes. There is however one exception I can think of. The A43 dual-carriageway coming through Towcester has a 40 mph section that AP actually picks up. It's not much use though as it steams in at 70 before hitting the anchors well after the 40 mph sign. If you relied on it to brake automatically, it would be way too late.

It also responds to a 50mph (reducing from 70mph) stretch on the A720 dual carriageway (Edinburgh By-pass) heading north towards the Gogar junction.