Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot2 Speed limit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does AP2 at present change speed as per speed limit? Does it slow down when moving from higher speed limit to lower?

Only in terms of staying no more than 5mph above the speed limit on local roads with autosteer. So if you’re going 40 on a local road with autosteer and the speed limit drops to 25, it’ll automatically adjust down to 30. But not vice versa.

Does AP2 at present change speed as per speed limit? Does it slow down when moving from higher speed limit to lower?

There are many who overestimate Autopilot's capability and also counting on its non-existent speeding ticket avoidance with automatic-speed reduction for posted speed limits:

Tesla Autopilot gets its first speeding ticket

I think that capability is easily implemented in future because it's just a matter of algorithm!

There are many who overestimate Autopilot's capability and also counting on its non-existent speeding ticket avoidance with automatic-speed reduction for posted speed limits:

Tesla Autopilot gets its first speeding ticket

I think that capability is easily implemented in future because it's just a matter of algorithm!

Kind of, but they have to get REALLY good at knowing speed limits and what kind of road they’re on. I regularly get a displayed speed limit of 65mph when crossing a bridge going over a freeway. If the car suddenly decided to match the speed limit in that situation, somebody is going to die.

While using Auto Steer and changing freeways and there is a dedicated lane I use the auto change lane feature to get into the lane. However, when making the turn onto the new freeway it will sometimes reduce the speed limit. But since the car will not reduce the speed limit I go into it too fast. What I general do (if I want to play with the feature) is to use TACC to reduce the speed to match how fast I want to hit the turn. I have wondered how it will eventually work. EAP is supposed to take you from on ramp to off ramp (assuming using navigation) so it needs to be able to handle this at some point.

While using Auto Steer and changing freeways and there is a dedicated lane I use the auto change lane feature to get into the lane. However, when making the turn onto the new freeway it will sometimes reduce the speed limit. But since the car will not reduce the speed limit I go into it too fast. What I general do (if I want to play with the feature) is to use TACC to reduce the speed to match how fast I want to hit the turn. I have wondered how it will eventually work. EAP is supposed to take you from on ramp to off ramp (assuming using navigation) so it needs to be able to handle this at some point.

Presumably, it'd need to read speed limit signs.

Presumably, it'd need to read speed limit signs.

I had an 2015 AP1 Model S85D and it changed speeds when the speed limit changed. I now have a 2016 AP2 S90D and it does not change speeds. You have to manually change your speeds up and down.

Another thing I miss is that on the AP1 car, it would show pictures of trucks, cars, and motorcycles. Auto-wipers also worked on AP1 cars. It is a shame that AP2 cars are a year late in getting parity with AP1 cars.

...AP2 S90D and it does not change speeds...

AP2 does automatically change speed in specific conditions:

When I first used AP2 on an undvided road that has a posted speed limit of 55 MPH and down to 40 MPH as well as a caution speed of 30 MPH on a curvy stretch, it just kept going 55 MPH and I doubt I could make it with that speed so I had to manually slow down myself.

Later on, AP2 has automatically slowed down on its own to 36 MPH on that same curvy stretch but that is still higher than the posted caution speed of 30 MPH.

If I now try to increase the speed on that curvy stretch, it would say something like "AutoSteer Speed Restricted".

Looks like AP2 is geofenced with a restricted speed at certain locations for safety that has nothing to do with speeding ticket avoidance algorithm.

When I first used AP2 on an undvided road that has a posted speed limit of 55 MPH and down to 40 MPH as well as a caution speed of 30 MPH on a curvy stretch, it just kept going 55 MPH and I doubt I could make it with that speed so I had to manually slow down myself.

Later on, AP2 has automatically slowed down on its own to 36 MPH on that same curvy stretch but that is still higher than the posted caution speed of 30 MPH.

If I now try to increase the speed on that curvy stretch, it would say something like "AutoSteer Speed Restricted".

Looks like AP2 is geofenced with a restricted speed at certain locations for safety that has nothing to do with speeding ticket avoidance algorithm.

Correct, AP2 limits your speed on non-highways to 5 above the speed limit. If your speed is above this threshold coming into such a road segment, you will be limited if auto steer is on.

Such a limit is not imposed on limited access highways (and it will not adjust).

• Informative
Reactions: Tam

Yes you are correct, if you are driving at 70 mph and the car has to go around a curve, the car will slow down for the curve and then speed back up to 70 mph.

On my previous AP1 car, if I was doing 70 mph and drove through a town with a speed limit of 55 mph, the car would automatically slow down to 55 mph and then go back to 70 mph when the speed limit increased. I have driven that same stretch of road in my AP2 car, and I have to manually decrease the speed and then manually increase it again.

AP1 does change speed based on signs, no problem. At least European signs that allexcept Americans use.

Unless you have been cruising at higher speed earlier, it won't accelerate to a higher speed limit and you need to of the cruise stalk.

AP2 AutoSteer will limit speed if the software believes the speed limit is below highway speeds.

It doesn't appear AP2 software is currently reading speed limit signs, and is instead relying entirely on the offline speed limit database.

Unfortunately, when Tesla switched speed limit database providers (to TomTom) several months ago (without any official notice in the release notes), the new speed limit database has more problems - missing speed limit data on some roads - and incorrect (high or low) data on other roads.

There are several highways in our area where the posted speed limit is 65 MPH. There are stretches of those roads where the software (based on the TomTom data) believes the speed limit is 45. If AutoSteer is running (likely at 70 MPH) when you hit those sections, the software will immediately slow down the car - in the middle of high speed traffic.

When TomTom data was distributed, I reported these problems to Tesla. They provided a link to an online site where I could provide corrections. That was months ago - we've had multiple releases since then. And the speed limit data is still bad...

Perhaps the next generation navigation software (being tested on the Model 3s?) will use more up-to-date data, rather than the buggy TomTom speed limit data and the over 2 year old Navigon/Garmin maps...

Hi

My Model S (2017 with AP2) unfortunately does not change the speed according to the road speed limit. I tried this several times in motorways and the car kept going at the max speed I set earlier. The funny thing is that the speed limit changes in the driver display (perhaps using GPS data and not road signs) and it can be only a matter of small programming codes to change the limit to the new one based on this data.

@MarcusMaximus : I don't think the car has to hit the brakes to reduce the speed suddenly and causing any risk. Road signs change normally based on the road layout and there is no way in a motorway the sign suddenly drops from 70 to 30 (120 to 50km ) for example.

In Europe depending on road layout and conditions, you can expect a drop of 10 to 15 miles/h (for example from 120 Km/h to 100) then gradually lower to 80 etc...

Moreover I think with a very simple algorithm, all the car has to do is to use regenerative brakes and leave the accelerator. This way the car gradually slows down to the new speed limit without any danger or road safety issue.

The other day I was driving with autosteer on at 120 km/h in a curvy mountainous motorway where near a tunnel the speed was reduced to 100 km/h. The car continued with its high speed and entered the tunnel with a sharp curve at the entrance of the tunnel. For a moment I was really scared if the car would swerve away and I had to reduce the speed limit from 120 to 100 manually. The display was showing the current speed limit at 100 at the time and all I could say was "Stupid Car!!"

I understand the concept of new AP2 is for the car to learn from environment or as @Tam mentioned, if I reduce the speed, it remembers to do the same at the same place next time. While this is a nice training for the car (seems to me to be a potty training meaning it might go sh...too) , I don't see any reason why Tesla has to abandon functionalities already in AP1. As a matter of fact, I think AP1 functionalities had to be kept and used in conjunction with AP2 learning. Having more hardware does not necessarily mean they have to change everything and rewrite to whole thing.

Rain sensor, better road lane display (3 or more in AP1 vs only 1 in AP2), display of motorcycle, truck etc... in AP1 are all things could be kept until the AP2 gets ready or I shall say gets bette!...