TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

AutoPilot2 Windshield Tech Replacement for 2012 S?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by W8MM, May 22, 2017.

1. W8MM

W8MM R1.5 #325 + Mdl S #01380

I have made some laboratory-grade radar pass-through measurements on a new AP2 Model S in the dealer showroom. The new tech windshield has no measurable loss of radar signals, while the original metal coated type is a radar disaster.

The service techs at the Tesla store only know that the manufacturer of the Model S windshield has changed with the introduction of AP2. This was likely necessitated by the stringent optical clarity requirements for the three-camera AP2 hardware.

The new AP2 windshield is speculated by me to be AGP eGlass with "Solar Plus" non-metallic solar control.

My question: Is the AP2 windshield technology available in a replacement windshield for a 2012 Model S?

The Tesla Store people aren't sufficiently informed and the Tesla corporate 800 number is clueless and very disinterested in helping.

2. lunitiks

lunitiks ˭ ˭ ʽʽʽʽʽʽʽʽʽ ʭ ʼʼʼʼʼʼʼʼʼ ˭ ˭

Sure, why not? Part no. 1061987-01-E

I think the AP2 windshield has a blacked out area in front of the RV mirror for the triple camera enclosure

3. W8MM

I e-mailed a specific request to [email protected] and I'll see what happens.

4. W8MM

Not a surprise, the folks at ServiceHelpNA pushed me off to my local Tesla service center.

That's kind of where I started. Deja vu? Catch 22?

We'll see.

5. lunitiks

lunitiks ˭ ˭ ʽʽʽʽʽʽʽʽʽ ʭ ʼʼʼʼʼʼʼʼʼ ˭ ˭

Hey man, that rhymes