Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoPilotshould be free (for now)

Should AutoPilot be free (for now)

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At a billion miles, if Tesla actually had to pay out liability on each fatality the way airlines do, at the average of $4.5m per person, it would cost them about $450 per each autopilot enabled car with avg. 100'000 autopilot miles on it, which can be folded into the autopilot price.

I get what you are saying, but this kinda reminds me of the line from Fight Club about recalling cars with known faults... a bit eerie!

I get what you are saying, but this kinda reminds me of the line from Fight Club about recalling cars with known faults... a bit eerie!

Except that the line from Fight Club is how things SHOULD work.

The real world is much more eerie. 99% of crashes the manufacturer has no responsibility for. It just gets chalked up to human error.

If EVERY fatality automatically ended up back at the manufacturer under that Fight Club "A times B times C equals X" equation, we would have had autonomous driving 10 years ago.

• Disagree
Reactions: msnow
In Beta it works far better than any other TACC, lane keeping, autoparking package out there. My wifes MDX, and my daughters new Subaru , both of which have packages that cost more should be labeled Omega versions
You mean Alpha... Beta is the second letter, meaning progress... Omega is is the last letter in the Greek alphabet... which would mean "better" than Beta...

Except that the line from Fight Club is how things SHOULD work.

Hang on - are we thinking of the same line?

The part where a car has a fault that could kill someone... and the manufacturer works out what would cost more - recalling the cars and rectifying the faults, or paying out compensation to the victims families? And decides purely on a financial basis?

I guess the argument would hold a lot more water if it's compared to the price of the Model 3 which includes the AP as a standard feature.

Huh? What have you the idea that full AP will be a standard feature on the 3?

In the absence of more details, I was expecting it to be like the S/X - full hardware and AP safety features included, but AP convenience (TACC, Autosteer, etc.) requiring an extra fee.

You really think that on the $35k car where they are struggling for every bit of margin they can get, they'll include it for free?

Huh? What have you the idea that full AP will be a standard feature on the 3?

In the absence of more details, I was expecting it to be like the S/X - full hardware and AP safety features included, but AP convenience (TACC, Autosteer, etc.) requiring an extra fee.

You really think that on the $35k car where they are struggling for every bit of margin they can get, they'll include it for free?

Well. It seems you are right. I'm being naive to think standard AP means everything. Just googled it. Thanks for enlightening me.