Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autosteer -- 1st gen hardware -- speed limitation removed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drive my Model S, delivered July 2016, on some two lane roads here in Northeast MA. Those roads include US Highway 1 and bunches of others.

Since I started using it on those roads, the speed at which autosteer may be engaged has been limited to the posted speed limit plus 5MPH.

But recently, without a software update, that limitation has been removed on US 1. It now uses the same rules as on freeways. The limitation is still in place on other two lane roads.

What's going on? Is Tesla sending the cars some kind of road-configuration data? They must be.

One strange thing about it. US 1 around here is gnarlier than many other two lane roads. The shoulder width varies more than some other roads. The pavement is dirtier and streakier, which can baffle the lane-holding features. And, in places US 1 has more tight curves and strange intersections, due to the fact that it's been around for three centuries or so.

I drive my Model S, delivered July 2016, on some two lane roads here in Northeast MA. Those roads include US Highway 1 and bunches of others.

Since I started using it on those roads, the speed at which autosteer may be engaged has been limited to the posted speed limit plus 5MPH.

But recently, without a software update, that limitation has been removed on US 1. It now uses the same rules as on freeways. The limitation is still in place on other two lane roads.

What's going on? Is Tesla sending the cars some kind of road-configuration data? They must be.

One strange thing about it. US 1 around here is gnarlier than many other two lane roads. The shoulder width varies more than some other roads. The pavement is dirtier and streakier, which can baffle the lane-holding features. And, in places US 1 has more tight curves and strange intersections, due to the fact that it's been around for three centuries or so.

I saw this on NY Route 32 between New Paltz and Tilson NY. I was very surprised, to say the least.

Then I realized this section of 32 is consistently within a mile of Interstate 87, and almost perfectly parallel to it until it meets NY 213. Sure enough, as soon as 32 bent away from the heading matching I-87, I was restricted to 5MPH over again.

I suspect they may have loosened the restriction a little to handle cases in which they mistake the main travel lanes of a divided highway for an adjacent service road, local road, etc. -- you wouldn't want to slam down from 75MPH to 55MPH because it made that mistake.