Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autosteer 7.1 v/s 7.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nagging has definitely increased, however, it is not a "timed" nag
- From my observations, the increases in nagging are in areas right before where there is a statistically significant number of people have forcibly taken over autopilot.
- So this isn't necessarily a spot for road markings are unclear, but just a place where through "fleet learning", it thinks that it is probably better for you to be paying attention (read: "not asleep")

Inadvertantly taking exists has definitely decreased.
- Haven't had a chance to verify on a place where it dove a lot for the exits (NJ Turnpike)
- but it does seem to be a lot smarter in places where it was sort of unclear before, (left exit to HOV lanes)

Ping Pong between lane markings has increased where road curves are a little more severe or extra wide
- This is particularly true for on/off ramps. Not really the best place to use autopilot, but I like to understand the limitations of the system, so i'll try it in as many situations as possible.

Overall,
Happy with the 7.1 update. I feel like it is an improvement.
- Obviously not fully automated driving
- But also obviously has not reached full potential of autopilot or assisted driving either
- I'm hoping we see updates/enhancements every few months.

My experience has been different than some others. Improvements in green, steps backward in red.

-Nagging is undoubtedly more frequent.
-Straight lane holding is about the same. I'm not seeing any ping-ponging.
-Much better in curves. Far less ping-ponging now than there was in 7.0.
-Steering control is smoother
-Contrast capabilities (ability to see lane markings or identify the edge of the road when surrounding pavement is a similar color) is improved. After 7.1 the car would occasionally pick up the edge of my residential neighborhood street, whereas it never would in 7.0.
-Less likely to follow skidmarks as lane markings
-Lane bias when in a lane in which the left lane line is yellow is much worse.
-TACC smoothness is signficantly improved.
-In 7.1, I haven't had a single case where a speed limit sign has been misidentified. It seems to be restricting the right roads. (At least for this part of the country). I didn't encounter many issues in 7.0 either, so no significant change for this one for me.
-7.1's ability to stay straight when there are lane turnoffs is remarkably improved. It's been correct 98% of the time, whereas with 7.0 it was correct maybe 40% of the time.
-Ability to stay lined up with the correct lane when passing through an unmarked intersection (no lane markings) is noticeably improved.

This is with about 1000 autopilot miles on 7.1, a mix of 60% highway and 40% surface streets.

Overall, an improvement I'd say, and definitely worth the upgrade, despite the red items above. I have confidence the red items above will be improved in 7.2.

Last edited:
Ranger was out today to do some work, I told him not to move me to 7.1, he asked why, I explained, he agreed with every point I made. He admitted that (at least where I live) speed limit detection, and knowledge of which roads are divided, is basically completely hopeless.

(I was actually expecting some push back from him, I was rather shocked when he agreed fully)

What is the use of not upgrading? You will miss any subsequent updates/upgrades unless you give in someday and take that 7.1 upgrade.
Is the hope that 7.2 is going to be better than 7.0 or even 7.3? And then you'd miss all of the bug fixes between then and now.
Not upgrading seems like a short term solution, but maybe that is what people are looking for when they pass on an upgrade.

I've mentioned it elsewhere, but there are undoubtedly more nags in 7.1 .. I live right off a 50mph 3-lane highway with a center divider. Autopilot recognizes it as a 50mph road and doesn't note restrictions. (It's a State Route.) I always have my hand on the wheel, but lightly. I keep my elbow on the door and rest my left hand either above or below the horizontal piece on the steering wheel. I did that on 7.0 and I do it on 7.1. I've driven on the same road under every possible condition for months. Day, night, rain, light snow, fog, bumper to bumper traffic, and nobody on the road. The lane markers are clear and have reflectors.

On 7.0, never saw a nag once on this road for the 8 minutes of driving from my home to the nearest interstate. I never saw it in either direction.

The first hour I had 7.1, I saw the "hands on wheel" nag. And then it happened again. Mind you, my hand WAS on the wheel, but lightly. Since 7.1, I've driven on this same road in a variety of conditions... and it nags me frequently. In a variety of conditions.

So, I have this road I drive on every day. I literally have to go on this road to leave my home. And I went from no nags to frequent nags. The only change was 7.1.

The first hour I had 7.1, I saw the "hands on wheel" nag. And then it happened again. Mind you, my hand WAS on the wheel, but lightly. Since 7.1, I've driven on this same road in a variety of conditions... and it nags me frequently. In a variety of conditions.
I noticed that v7.1 torque sensing for hands on wheel detection is less sensitive. It requires more force to be applied on the wheel to let it know your hands are on. It takes slightly more effort to override the AS. I mean, in v7 just lightly holding the wheel will do, but v7.1 requires more effort, which is not a bad thing. This is because it is actually easier to hold the wheel more firmly than lightly.

What is the use of not upgrading? You will miss any subsequent updates/upgrades unless you give in someday and take that 7.1 upgrade.
Is the hope that 7.2 is going to be better than 7.0 or even 7.3? And then you'd miss all of the bug fixes between then and now.
Not upgrading seems like a short term solution, but maybe that is what people are looking for when they pass on an upgrade.
The point is that the car is what I want it to be right now, it wouldn't be what I want it to be on 7.1
I can happily leave it on 7.0 for the rest of the time I own the car, and I won't care, but I will consider upgrading if Tesla ever releases a version that I consider to be better than what I already have.

Right now 7.1 is worse than 7.0. Why should we upgrade? And if it never gets any better - well, 7.0 isn't that bad.

I've had less ping-ponging with 7.1. If it starts to ping-pong, you should disengage it anyway. It probably means that the road and/or conditions are not conducive to autopilot use, although it may also just be that the car is behind in it's situational awareness, and re-engaging will smooth everything out.

Overall, I would say 7.1 is a significant improvement from an autopilot perspective over 7.0.

I've had less ping-ponging with 7.1. If it starts to ping-pong, you should disengage it anyway. It probably means that the road and/or conditions are not conducive to autopilot use, although it may also just be that the car is behind in it's situational awareness, and re-engaging will smooth everything out.

Overall, I would say 7.1 is a significant improvement from an autopilot perspective over 7.0.
Overall, I agree, 7.1 is better then 7.0, mainly in that it doesn't always dive for exits and it handles highway curves more smoothly. I'm not sure if ping ponging or hugging the lane edge is better or worse, it's certainly not great. I don't care about the nagging because I always have a hand on the wheel. IMHO the summoning is a bit of a parlor trick, and the autopark is still not very impressive.

I don't care about the nagging because I always have a hand on the wheel.

Looking for the silver lining, it seems that the steering wheel is much more sensitive to being 'held' than it was on 7.0. I haven't really been bothered by the nagging, as I either rest my hand/fingers very softly on the wheel, or even just have my knee against it lightly. Either are good enough to prevent nags. With 7, I had to give it a good 'tug' to eliminate a nag, and had to have a noticeable amount of 'heft' on the wheel to prevent them, such that it was uncomfortable. Thus, seems like we at least got that trade off, less effort needed to prevent nag (but yes, it nags every 3 minutes if nothing is touching the wheel).

With 7, I had to give it a good 'tug' to eliminate a nag, and had to have a noticeable amount of 'heft' on the wheel to prevent them, such that it was uncomfortable. Thus, seems like we at least got that trade off, less effort needed to prevent nag
I am confused by the above.
For me, with 7.1 being less sensitive on hand on wheel means I can rest my hand on wheel more comfortably without disengaging AS.

Here's my take. Waited to install 7.1 for all of the reasons stated perviously. Finally could not resist trying Summon, so I did it. . .

Overall, I am glad I took the leap. Summon is amazing. The AP driving is, if I may, more refined and sophisticated. The car is not as "jerky" and does not try to take every exit off the freeway. Yes, there are more nags and it is irritating but balanced against the refinement, I consider it to be a fair trade.

Bottom-line, still not perfect but I am truly enjoying being able to touch the near future of transportation . . .

I am confused by the above.
For me, with 7.1 being less sensitive on hand on wheel means I can rest my hand on wheel more comfortably without disengaging AS.

I think we are talking about two different things. I was stating how I find the car 'thinks my hands are on the wheel' even when they are only lightly touching the wheel (or my knee, if I want to be hands off). The level of resistance the wheel needs to detect and trigger "oh, the driver is touching me" seems to have decreased a fair amount (which I think is a good change).

What you seem to be referring to is how much effort it takes to disengage autopilot. You think it takes more effort now, and as a result, how you rest your hands isn't triggering disengagement anymore, but used to on 7.0. That could very well be, I haven't really paid much attention to that at all.

Please let me know if I misunderstand you, or if I haven't clarified my comments.

I think we are talking about two different things. I was stating how I find the car 'thinks my hands are on the wheel' even when they are only lightly touching the wheel (or my knee, if I want to be hands off). The level of resistance the wheel needs to detect and trigger "oh, the driver is touching me" seems to have decreased a fair amount (which I think is a good change).

What you seem to be referring to is how much effort it takes to disengage autopilot. You think it takes more effort now, and as a result, how you rest your hands isn't triggering disengagement anymore, but used to on 7.0. That could very well be, I haven't really paid much attention to that at all.

Please let me know if I misunderstand you, or if I haven't clarified my comments.
Thanks for the clarification. I did not notice that it takes lesser effort to be hand on wheel in v7.1, because I always have at least one hand on wheel and very seldom experience a nag (cannot recall when was the last time). Requiring more torque to overcome AS is more comfortable for me in resting my arm.