Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

autosteer always "temporarily unavailable"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hello everyone.. i have a 2017 tesla model x. 75D. whenever i tried to activate autosteer i always get a message temporarily unavailable. wonder if anyone else is having this issue.

the cruise control is working no problem.

Obvious question, which needs to be stated if you’ve done it: tried rebooting? Scroll wheels and then power off? (And it’s the first thing Tesla will ask you to do...)

If that doesn’t work could be camera misalignment. I’d call support and have them check the logs. Any street with lines on it should enable the two AP icons to let you use it.

I only recently started seeing the “autosteer temporarily unavailable” while driving on perfectly clear days with no fog, rain, or heavy snow, and it always occurred in the mornings between 6 AM and 7:30 AM. Sometimes autosteer would later become available during my 40 minute drive to work.

Because of the sudden onset of this problem, I thought it might be related to one of the recent software upgrades. And because of the consistent timing of this unavailability of autosteer in the mornings, I thought about the possibility that perhaps autosteer now requires the headlights to be engaged during specific hours in the morning and evening, or when the ambient outdoor sunlight intensity is below a specific threshold.

So I tested that hypothesis and it seems to be correct. The last several times that I had no availability of autosteer in the mornings, I noticed that my headlights were in the “off” setting rather than the “auto” setting. As soon as I changed the headlight setting to “auto”, the small gray steering wheel circle icon on the display was immediately available again, giving me access to autosteer, and it functioned perfectly each time.

To further test this theory, as soon as I turned the headlights back to the “off” setting, the autosteer was no longer available and the gray steering wheel icon was gone from the display, during these morning drives. This is never an issue later in the morning and afternoon, when the ambient sunlight is brighter

• Informative
Reactions: mxnym and Shaz
As soon as I changed the headlight setting to “auto”, the small gray steering wheel circle icon on the display was immediately available again, giving me access to autosteer, and it functioned perfectly each time.

I will test this out this morning. I know in 2019 when driving out to California I turned off everything that might use power while I tried to reach maximum range, but still able to use Autopilot. I can't remember if I turned the headlights off or not. Definitely Good To Know!

Autosteer uses road markings seen by the cameras. If the road you are on is not striped, or is ambiguous. You will not be able to activate Autosteer. Watch the dash display for the Autosteer icon, it comes and goes as road conditions change.