Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autosteer & Automatic Turn Signals Misbehaving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Autosteer has always been so-so in that it does not consistently disengage when I apply a turn signal to change lanes. Now with Automatic Turn Signals, I am getting a little more data and am curious if others are experiencing similar behaviors...

During my drives, I think that Autosteer disengages less than half the time when I apply the turn signals. It does not matter if I do the partial or full turn signal stalk engagement. Some drives it is intermittent, and then yesterday's drives never disengaged Autosteer with the blinkers. (Other drives Autosteer will properly disengage nearly every time.)

What is interesting is than when Autosteer does not disengage, the turn signals only flash 3 times. But, when I use the blinkers without Autosteer, the Automatic Turn Signals work as described 100% of the time (will continue flashing until I complete a merge, lane change, or fork maneuver).

So, it seems like there is something in the code that intermittently blocking the turn signal trigger from notifying the Autosteer logic to disengage. And this seems to cause a 3-flash of the blinkers when Automatic Turn Signals is on. (If the car was not a 100% computer, I would suspect a bad switch or component.)

I am curious if others are seeing intermittent Autosteer disengagement symptoms and if you have noticed a correlation with the Automatic Turn Signals misbehavior?

With AP on and Turn Signal Auto-Cancel (TSAC for short) on, I've noticed that if I turn on the turn signal to initiate lane change (when TSAC is on, both the first click and second click on the stalk does the same thing), it does the 3 blinks and does not disengage AP. What I've done since noticing that is to hold the turn signal stalk at the first detent when initiating lane change and let go once AP cancels, which usually takes a second or two, I think. Before TSAC was implemented, I usually held the turn signal stalk at the first detent to keep the turn signal flashing until I've completed the lane change, so this isn't a big adjustment for me.

Up until the last update (2024.2.7) while in Autosteer, each time I initiated a lane change by pushing stalk to the first detent, autopilot would cancel immediately. Now I have to push the stalk 2 or 3 times before it disengages AP. Sometimes I have to push it fullly up or down as if making a turn rather than lane change to cancel AP.
Anyone else have this issue?