Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autosteer Changes Lane Mid Intersection - Does FSD Beta Fix This?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I own a 2022 MY with FSD however I'm not enrolled in the FSD beta. I've noticed that for at least 3 city street intersections autopilot / autosteer will change lanes mid-intersection. It has only happened on curved intersections. Here is a video from someone else with the same problem:

For 1 of the intersections that I travel frequently, it will make this error 100% of the time. The other intersections I've only traveled once or twice. I am aware that Autosteer is not intended be used on city streets so I can't be too critical.

For people who have FSD Beta are you seeing this same behavior or has it been fixed?

Reactions: Jane4
No, this has not yet been addressed in FSD beta.

Like you mentioned, regular AP is probably confused which lane is which in a curved intersection, so it’s not “changing lanes” per se, but rather trying to recenter and picks the wrong lane.

For FSD beta, it’s choosing what lane to be in and even uses turn signals to change lanes across solid white at an intersection or in the middle of an intersection. It’s not legal in the states I mostly drive, but it’s one of those “people do it anyway without getting ticketed” rules.

Some of us see this as dangerous and hope Tesla will generally (edge cases of course) prevent this decision.

Kind of like how FSD beta used to require completing a lane change before performing another, which really doesn’t work when entering a roadway (turning right from a small street onto a large one) and needing to cross a number of lanes to get into a turn lane. It would just miss the turn or slow down at the intersection green light confused. Tesla improved this legal behavior a couple months ago by finally allowing the car to continue crossing lanes without requiring “completing” each lane change.

I own a 2022 MY with FSD however I'm not enrolled in the FSD beta. I've noticed that for at least 3 city street intersections autopilot / autosteer will change lanes mid-intersection. It has only happened on curved intersections. Here is a video from someone else with the same problem:

For 1 of the intersections that I travel frequently, it will make this error 100% of the time. The other intersections I've only traveled once or twice. I am aware that Autosteer is not intended be used on city streets so I can't be too critical.

For people who have FSD Beta are you seeing this same behavior or has it been fixed?

You aren’t supposed to use autosteer on roads with intersections. FSD doesn’t fix this.

I only got into FSD Beta a few weeks ago, so all my experience is on the current release. Yes, FSD Beta can changes lanes crossing the "do not cross" solid lines before an intersection, and even being dead-center in the intersection at the moment of being halfway through the lane change.

I've seen this on an entirely straight road that is primarily two lanes each way, divided, with additional entry and exit lanes. I don't think it is even trying to avoid it.

And, yes, I did a Snapshot once for a clean example of this exact issue. I hope they fix it.

Same intersection and Beta crossing the line (as usual) and then not going to stop at the Red. Not sure but at this intersection no matter which lane it starts in it will almost always try and change to the other (grass is greener on the other side I guess).

No, this has not yet been addressed in FSD beta.

Like you mentioned, regular AP is probably confused which lane is which in a curved intersection, so it’s not “changing lanes” per se, but rather trying to recenter and picks the wrong lane.

For FSD beta, it’s choosing what lane to be in and even uses turn signals to change lanes across solid white at an intersection or in the middle of an intersection. It’s not legal in the states I mostly drive, but it’s one of those “people do it anyway without getting ticketed” rules.

Some of us see this as dangerous and hope Tesla will generally (edge cases of course) prevent this decision.

Kind of like how FSD beta used to require completing a lane change before performing another, which really doesn’t work when entering a roadway (turning right from a small street onto a large one) and needing to cross a number of lanes to get into a turn lane. It would just miss the turn or slow down at the intersection green light confused. Tesla improved this legal behavior a couple months ago by finally allowing the car to continue crossing lanes without requiring “completing” each lane change.
Agreed. I think it's worse in FSD. It's gone from occasionally misjudging which lines are which lanes to actively changing lanes mid intersection.

It is still a problem. Today I had FSD change lane just as the intersetion was beginning and later in the day right in the middle of the intersection. Two diffrent intersections both on straight roads. I got the new FSD yesterday. FSD 10.69.2

On the same major arterial I travel frequently, the current FSDb release seems less inclined to change lanes through the solid white lines or actually in an intersection than my first (mid-June 2022), but it is not gone. I don't like it, but contrary to driver's ed mythology, I don't think it is illegal here in NM if done safely. I've not seen FSDb do it unsafely yet.

Contrary to popular belief, there is no traffic law in California that says you can't change lanes in an intersection. It says you can do so if it's done safely.
Thanks for the information. I am in California working with my MY. You are right in CA and some other states it is legal as long as it is safe. Does FSD know what state and state laws? Maybe it does. I California, New York, Texas, and New Jersey alow it specifically and there is no law specifically against it in New Mexico and Arizona.

I wonder if Tesla would answer this question?