Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autosteer/Cruise Control unavailable exiting HRBT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Without fail, autosteer and adaptive cruise control will become unavailable when exiting the Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel (HRBT) on I-64 west bound. It will be unavailable for quite a distance after the exit of the tunnel (several miles). I have had this happen every time, with different Tesla Model Ss (mostly older 2014-2016), and in various driving conditions (day, night, rain, clear, morning, evening, etc.). No issues with the east bound exit or either tunnel entrance. Today I noticed a message for the first time that said something about radar limitations. Has anyone else experienced this and does anyone know if there is something in that area that would cause the autosteer function or radar capability to disengage? It's very annoying and relatively dangerous since it's not in a location where there are any turns (very straight), but there is a lot of traffic and many times it comes to a quick stop where the adaptive cruise control would be very useful.

My experiences are that dark shadows can be seen as obstacles in the road. My FSD alerted three time of obstacles in front 3 times in 11 miles on a back road with trees on both sides, sun shining brightly, creating a mesmerizing flicker of tree shadows in the road. I think vision-only cameras have some limitation in figuring out these things at this point. In your case, could be the sudden change of light, shadows, or other unknown objects the cameras detected. I wonder if it experiences this same behavior at night?

Upvote 0
Thank you for the reply. So I can confirm some things from driving through the tunnel tonight. Autosteer did not disengage when driving through the westbound exit of the tunnel. It did disengage when I drove through the eastbound tunnel and was unavailable for about five miles. The error message that popped up was "reduced radar visibility". I will have to do a search and see if others have issues with reduced radar visibility.

Upvote 0
Thank you for the reply. So I can confirm some things from driving through the tunnel tonight. Autosteer did not disengage when driving through the westbound exit of the tunnel. It did disengage when I drove through the eastbound tunnel and was unavailable for about five miles. The error message that popped up was "reduced radar visibility". I will have to do a search and see if others have issues with reduced radar visibility.

Upvote 0
You issue is different from mine. I have so many FSD issues, I am waiting for the beta FSD rewrite, which should have general release in a month or so -- Tesla time. I will start diligently letting Tesla know of major FSD issues by opening up service tickets for each issue after the rewrite is released and tested by me. I don't think I have ever used FSD off interstate highways for longer than 20 miles without brakes slamming on, phantom red traffic signals being visualized and responded to, car taking left turn lanes at 55MPH, crossing center line, etc. I have bought a phone strap for my head so I can video these incidents. All roads are not like southern California roads where I think the FSD training is keyed.

Upvote 0