Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autosteer- does it stop at red lights??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello/ new to forum amd sorrowful this has been asked before- I did try and arch but couldn’t find an answer.

I have a standard range m3 and was wandering if Autosteer will stop at red lights ?

Some you tube videos say it will but it’s too risky to test it and risk running a red!

Thanks

You have to have Purchased FSD or subscribe.

There is an optional feature to stop at all lights and you hit the throttle to go through them or it will stop (red Or green).

If you sign up for FSD Beta it has full city street driving and will drive through green, stop for red, stop fir sto signs etc.

But unless you are in Canada Tesla is not allowing new Beta testers at the moment.

Hello/ new to forum amd sorrowful this has been asked before- I did try and arch but couldn’t find an answer.

I have a standard range m3 and was wandering if Autosteer will stop at red lights ?

Some you tube videos say it will but it’s too risky to test it and risk running a red!

Thanks
It won't stop. I tested with a stop sign in a rural area and it definitely wasn't going to stop lol

In the US anyway (though the OP isn't there)

Basic autopilot (the thing that has come free on new Teslas for a couple years now) only does two things-

Autosteer (stays in your single lane as long as there's lane markings- and is intended only for use on controlled access divided freeways)
and
TACC- traffic aware cruise control. Will maintain a set speed and follow distance, adjusting for vehicles ahead of you going slower or not.

That's it.

Every other ADAS feature (autopark, summon, enhanced summon, auto lane change, reacting to red lights and stop signs, etc- plus the future feature of city streets driving) requires FSD (either purchase or subscription)

NOTE: Cars bought before roughly March 2019 in the US) had a different distribution of features available- by default they came with nothing. For one price you could buy Enhanced Autopilot (EAP) which included everything currently available EXCEPT the stop light/stop sign behavior (and the future city streets driving)... then for an added cost you could add FSD which gave you the rest.

OUTSIDE of the US, I've read, EAP is still available in some places, but don't recall exactly where.

"Traffic and Stop Sign Control" is a feature of the Full Self-Driving package that allows your car to slow and/or stop at stop lights and stop signs when AutoPilot is engaged. In addition, it will proceed when a light turns green if it has a follow car, and it will proceed through a green light or a stop sign if you tap your accelerator. This is not "FSD Beta" and is available immediately when you purchase or subscribe to Full-Self-Driving, but you must enable this feature under AutoPilot settings.

Great thanks for the clarification- I think Tesla should remove any doubt though and state this explicitly- I have the full self driving preview enabled which shows traffic lights so you could assume it’s going to control the car based on them.

As an experiment I turned off the self driving preview and the traffic lights went.

Yes I left be how if you’re following a car it responds to that car and will stop.

Tesla should bring in red lights stopping for Autosteer though- it would make it safwr

But they should remove any ambiguity as people are saying different things which shows there is confusion out tgere

But I love this car !!

Basic AutoPilot does not stop for lights, signs, etc. You need to regard it as a very fancy cruise control which can observe a speed limit and cars around it, but makes no attempt at intersections, stop signs etc.

FullSelfDriving CAN do all those things, but as noted is in beta and costs lots of extra money.

Reactions: Kentsydney
Thanks but it would be a good safety feature if this was introduced on Autosteer if it did and the car can see them it seems- it just seems crazy to keep the car going through a red light if the car can see it’s a red-

But I suppose the driver has the ultimate responsibility in the end

Great thanks for the clarification- I think Tesla should remove any doubt though and state this explicitly- I have the full self driving preview enabled which shows traffic lights so you could assume it’s going to control the car based on them.

As an experiment I turned off the self driving preview and the traffic lights went....
PREVIEW = A look at something BEFORE you buy it.;)

Reactions: Yelobird