Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autosteer drives too close to transport trucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the freeways within cities, I find that Autosteer often drives too close to transport trucks. It appears to try to keep in the center of the lane, but sometimes the transport truck in the adjacent lane will drift close to the line or even over the line. A human driver in such a situation would move to the other edge of the lane to give the truck room, but Autosteer holds to the center of the lane. Sometimes it panics and screams at the driver to take control rather than simply doing a slight steering adjustment within the lane. Does anyone with the FSB beta notice if the beta does any better in such a situation?

Sometimes your perception of where your car and the truck are positioned within the lanes is different from the reality. Drivers tend to move to one side of their lane when they perceive a vehicle in the next lane is too close, when it really isn’t. I’ve learned to trust Autosteer in these situations because I’ve never made contact with a vehicle in the next lane, even if it looked like I might.

Sometimes your perception of where your car and the truck are positioned within the lanes is different from the reality. Drivers tend to move to one side of their lane when they perceive a vehicle in the next lane is too close, when it really isn’t.
I grant that drivers often overcorrect when passing trucks. But trucks can unexpectedly drift out of their lane, particularly in California, where freeway lanes are narrower than other states.
I’ve learned to trust Autosteer in these situations because I’ve never made contact with a vehicle in the next lane, even if it looked like I might.

Sometimes the car recognizes that it is too close to the truck, because it starts screaming about the danger and demands that I take over.