TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Autosteer -- how far will it go when locked on to the car in front?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by cinergi, Nov 1, 2015.

1. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

#1 cinergi, Nov 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Under 18 MPH, auto-steer uses the car in front of you as primary data (it's in blue vs. the lines being in blue). I was curious to see just how much it would really follow -- so in a situation without lanes and the car in front of me turning left, I let auto-steer do it's thing. It did perfectly (and of course started complaining around the speed when auto-steer needs lane information so it can lock onto lanes instead of the car in front).

2. danni

danni Member

Yeah, it works like a charm. Too good sometimes. I was held up in traffic on a small, bidirectional road, using the autopilot to keep up, when all of a sudden the car in front of me broke out of the line in order to turn and go back the other way - and my car tried to follow! :biggrin:

3. Soolim

Soolim Member

how do you get auto-steer to work under 18 MPH? What was your set speed?

4. davidc18

davidc18 Member

if auto steer is engaged, it will follow traffic to a full stop and then follow it when it starts moving again.

5. danni

danni Member

When driving slowly with a car just in front of you, the option to activate autosteer will appear. When I do, my cruise control speed is set to 30 km/h (~17 mph).

6. Soolim

Soolim Member

Thanks, so I assume this is done on city street. When the car in front move out of the tracking range, does the auto-steer resume using the lanes as its reference?

7. danni

danni Member

Yeah, very useful in slow moving city traffic. I haven't tried that yet, I've always gotten another reason to turn it off before then.

8. davidc18

davidc18 Member

yes, if it sees them. It does a good job of following traffic thru the intersections.

9. brec

brec Member

Autosteer turned off at 15mph after just starting the turn. Thus "it did perfectly" seems overenthusiastic.