Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autosteer -- how far will it go when locked on to the car in front?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cinergi

Sep 17, 2010
MA
Under 18 MPH, auto-steer uses the car in front of you as primary data (it's in blue vs. the lines being in blue). I was curious to see just how much it would really follow -- so in a situation without lanes and the car in front of me turning left, I let auto-steer do it's thing. It did perfectly (and of course started complaining around the speed when auto-steer needs lane information so it can lock onto lanes instead of the car in front).

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it works like a charm. Too good sometimes. I was held up in traffic on a small, bidirectional road, using the autopilot to keep up, when all of a sudden the car in front of me broke out of the line in order to turn and go back the other way - and my car tried to follow! :biggrin:

Under 18 MPH, auto-steer uses the car in front of you as primary data (it's in blue vs. the lines being in blue). I was curious to see just how much it would really follow -- so in a situation without lanes and the car in front of me turning left, I let auto-steer do it's thing. It did perfectly (and of course started complaining around the speed when auto-steer needs lane information so it can lock onto lanes instead of the car in front).
Autosteer turned off at 15mph after just starting the turn. Thus "it did perfectly" seems overenthusiastic.