Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autosteer indicating incorrectly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I snapped yesterday. Finally called the Tesla call centre to vent about autosteer automatically indicating the wrong way when a road name changes in a controlled access road merge.

Glenloch Interchange (William Hovell Drive straight ahead to Parkes Way) repeatedly indicating left at both road name changes did it for me.

Malachi (sp?) from the Tesla call centre (in NZ, I think) wanted concrete examples & timestamps & specific info on what happened, logged in-app as a service request, so the SC can escalate it to the team to review their logs for the same time period.

So I sent 5 examples from yesterday (4 after I rebooted) plus a 6th - my main bugbear. Several hundred words apiece.

I assume many of you notice similar issues on Autosteer. Perhaps today is a good day to do a scroll wheel reset, then drive past one or more of your trouble spots, and then log your own service request with the exact time and some useful specifics, and then call the call centre and see if they’ll acknowledge it’s a wider issue.

I logged a near-empty request with the address as Tantalum Street Beard, and then added a long spiel for each site in a message against the request.

Attachments

• 3A9796E8-7250-4A2D-A865-525EBA117542.jpeg
    3A9796E8-7250-4A2D-A865-525EBA117542.jpeg
    560.8 KB · Views: 55
What do you mean by Autosteer indicating?
On my Model 3, Autosteer indicates what it is doing by displaying a blue steering will graphic (autosteer icon). Is your car turning left while the Autosteer indicator shows the auto steer wheel turning to the right! That would be bad & I doubt possible.

1623362088665.png

Do you perhaps mean Navigate on Autopilot is activating the wrong indicator, in which case it it is not actually an autosteer issue?

Any chance you could post some dashcam footage of the issue?

I’m not sure I understand the issue being described above.

Is it when you are driving on a main road and pass a merge in sliplane on your left the car starts the blinker?

Glenloch Interchange Eastbound - 10 June @ 11:50

Situation: Driving from William Hovell Drive through the Glenloch Interchange (controlled access road) and onto Parkes Way (controlled access road). This is straight ahead the entire way, with no lane changes or direction changes.

Sequence: Accelerated to 90km/h-ish. I was already on Autosteer. I was already in the left lane and remained in the left lane through the interchange and onto Parkes Way.

Later troubleshooting: About 10 minutes later I completed a scroll wheel reboot.

Suspected cause: Roads merge so the road name changes - twice. I believe autosteer auto-indicates left when a road name changes.

Additional Issue: I can’t cancel the indicators with a downward/leftward half-push, though an upward/rightward half push briefly indicates right before it auto indicates left again. Same scenario as North Goulburn Interchange below.

Problem: To a motorist behind me I’m indicating like a madman. In reality I’m going straight ahead with no reason to indicate. Only reason I’d indicate left there is to pull onto the shoulder for a breakdown, but it’s a narrow shoulder with no safe place to stop. Might make motorists think they have to swerve to evade. All up it’s a very bad look.

Yarra Interchange Eastbound - 10 June @ 14:52

Situation: Entering the M31/A31 Hume Highway Eastbound (2 lanes of controlled access road) at the Yarra Interchange, at the end of the M23/A23 Federal Highway (2 lanes of controlled access road) northbound.

Sequence: I was already at 110km/h-ish. I was already on Autosteer. Both Federal Highway lanes end and have a form-one-lane as they both join the right lane of the Hume Highway. At the transition point the car automatically activates its left indicator.

Problem: None really. This is the only place in my experience where Autosteer activates the correct indicator. Probably just correct by accident as it’s a very unusual merge where you enter the Hume Highway into its fast lane. I’m only mentioning this as it may be helpful as a baseline in troubleshooting the other locations.

Suspected cause: Highways merge so the road name changes. I believe autosteer auto-indicates when a road name changes. Drivers generally don’t indicate at this merge, though it’s correct whether they do or don’t.

North Goulburn Northbound on-ramp - 10 June @ 16:13

Situation: Entering the M31/A31 Hume Highway (controlled access road) at the Sydney Road on-ramp, northbound.

Sequence: Accelerated to 110km/h-ish. I was already on Autosteer. Left lane ends, but I was already in the right lane. The road transitions from being Sydney Road (a 2 lane local road that used to be the main highway, coloured white on Google Maps) into the Hume Highway (a one-lane controlled access highway, which sort-of immediately becomes an on-ramp a few hundred metres before it merges with the rest of the Hume Highway (the Goulburn Bypass), a two-lane controlled access road. At the two transition points autosteer inexplicably activates its left indicator.

Unusual occurrence today: Autosteer usually activates the left indicator a second time, shortly after I cancel the first inexplicable left indicator. This time it only activated the left indicator once. I think it’s because I was still holding the indicator stall to indicate right to cancel the left indicator.

Suspected cause: Highways merge so the road name changes. I believe autosteer auto-indicates left when a road name changes. I believe the road name might change twice at this point, at least in Google Maps, hence the second indication that usually also happens.

Problem: Traffic behind me might think I’m pulling over to the highway shoulder / breakdown lane, right as they’re about to accelerate from 80km/h to 110km/h, as if I’m having mechanical or other issues. That’s absolutely the only reason to indicate left where the car always starts indicating left. They might panic and think they have to slow or evade.

In reality I’m going straight ahead with no reason to indicate - while also increasing speed from 80 to 110 - not until the real merge a few hundred metres ahead. Similar scenario as Glenloch Interchange above & Memorial Drive below.

Sally’s Corner Northbound on-ramp - 10 June @ 16:46

Situation: Entering the M31/A31 Hume Highway (controlled access road) from the on-ramp next to the Sutton Forest northbound McDonalds, off an un-named road.

Sequence: Accelerated to 110km/h-ish on conventional driving. Merged into left lane (slow lane) on the highway. After changing lanes I double-tapped to enter autosteer. Autosteer then inexplicably activated its right indicator - but without a further lane change.

Suspected cause: Absolutely unknown. Same as Wollongong University below.

University of Wollongong Northbound on-ramp - 10 June @ 20:02

Situation: Entering the M1 Princes Freeway (controlled access road) at the Northfields Avenue on-ramp, northbound.

Sequence: Accelerated to 80km/h-ish on conventional driving. Merged into left lane (slow lane) on the freeway. After changing lanes I double-tapped to enter autosteer. Autosteer then inexplicably activated its right indicator - but without a further lane change.

Suspected cause: Absolutely unknown. Same as Sally’s Corner above.

Memorial Drive entering Princes Motorway at Gwynneville Southbound

Situation: Entering the M1 Princes Freeway (controlled access road) southbound, off Memorial Drive (a.k.a. Northern Distributor) (controlled access road) southbound, at Gwynneville

Lane arrangement: Memorial Drive has two lanes. Its left lane ends just before the merge. The resulting single lane becomes the left lane on the combined motorway. The two lanes entering from the Princes Motorway become the centre and right lanes on the combined motorway.

Sequence: Already at 80km/h-ish on autosteer, though half way through the merge autosteer correctly increases speed to 90km/h.
Scenario 1 of 2: Left Lane on Memorial Drive: No Problem. I give the indicator stalk a half-push up/right, as I’m legally expected to do. Autosteer doesn’t care when I do that. But if I do nothing else, Autosteer correctly merges me into the right lane without any auto-indicating in either direction.

Scenario 2 of 2: Right Lane on Memorial Drive: Autosteer inexplicably activates the left indicator right as the left lane ends, while merging onto a motorway to the right. The correct thing to do there is nothing. Just keep driving straight ahead without indicating. It’s an added lane.

Suspected cause: Highways merge so the road name changes. I believe autosteer auto-indicates left when a road name changes.

• Informative
Reactions: Sir Surfalot
There's a long standing bug where NoAP will enable left indicator/blinker when trying to enter a freeway even if you are merging to right... is that what you are talking about?

AP team are aware of it apparently.
I don’t use NoAP. Too much grief on the Hume Highway. I only use Autosteer and occasionally TACC.

That said, two of the examples above (Sally’s Corner and UoW) are similar. Except Autosteer indicated me to the right.

I don’t use NoAP. Too much grief on the Hume Highway. I only use Autosteer and occasionally TACC.

That said, two of the examples above (Sally’s Corner and UoW) are similar. Except Autosteer indicated me to the right.
My autopilot (autosteer) never indicates for me? Are you sure you dont have noAP, or is there a feature I’ve missed in autopilot….or maybe the adelaide roads aren’t nt that complex. Could also be that I’ve learnt to disengage wherever roads split or join as it cannot handle it.

My autopilot (autosteer) never indicates for me? Are you sure you dont have noAP, or is there a feature I’ve missed in autopilot….or maybe the adelaide roads aren’t nt that complex. Could also be that I’ve learnt to disengage wherever roads split or join as it cannot handle it.
I’m absolutely sure I’m not talking about NoAP. I can’t stand that feature. It beeps and chimes off and on every time the Hume Highway passes an intersection, which is infuriating, so I just never enable it.

Plus I rarely key in or select a GPS destination, which is a NoAP prerequisite. I learned to navigate by Gregory’s. Unless I’m measuring range on the GoM, or I could use a hand with upcoming turns on a complex stretch of road, I just leave the maps centred and facing north, and use autosteer and navigate by memory.

Tesla support repeatedly assumed I was talking about NoAP too. I’m not. And constantly correcting them is tiresome. NoAP is too noisy and I prefer peace and quiet while driving.

And yeah, Adelaide doesn’t have very many Highway merges with name changes, if any, so it’s not surprising if you’re unaffected.

Last edited:
Reactions: paulp
I had the left indicator come on last week when entering the M7 at the Old Wallgrove Road Southbound entry and in the past, I've had it come on at the entry to the Hume (M31) at Glenfield ... Another one is at the Northbound entry to the Hume (M31) at Blairmount, however, the correct indicator (right) comes on, but it's way too early as there's an unbroken line that goes for 100's of metres. Sometimes NoA is on, other times just AP.

My biggest gripe is NoA related, is that it NEVER takes the Southbound exit of the Hume (M31) at Blairmount

Reactions: PC__LoadLetter
Perhaps this spurious turn indicator can only occurring in cars with the FSD/EAP option. My 3 is non FSD & I have never seen a turn indicator come on without driver input.
Agreed. I have a Model 3 without FSD and I have never had the car indicate when I have been driving with Autosteer - I have even used it going through several of the same on/offramps that @QBN_PC has so excellently described the repeatable issues with his car at.

Reactions: PC__LoadLetter