Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autosteer maximum speed and automatic speed adjustment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

We got our Model Y a few days ago, so we're still learning. (MY LR, no FSD)

One thing I noticed is that the autosteer gives me an Error message "only available up to 55mph" and that the autosteer / cruise control mode doesn't automatically adjust (up or down) depending on the speed limit signs the car detects.

Is this a settings problem, a software "feature" or just not supported without FSD. We have the 2021.11.102 Software version.

Thanks!

From the manual:
Screen Shot 2021-09-12 at 4.54.42 PM.png

I encountered this on a highway with a 60MPH speed limit. The car showed the 60MPH speed limit sign in the display and was following the car in front of us. just fine. Other documentation I found on the tesla website says up to 80MPH. I'm wondering if the Software on my brand new car is back level from a feature perspective.

1631491103776.png

I encountered this on a highway with a 60MPH speed limit. The car showed the 60MPH speed limit sign in the display and was following the car in front of us. just fine. Other documentation I found on the tesla website says up to 80MPH. I'm wondering if the Software on my brand new car is back level from a feature perspective.

View attachment 708623
80mph on divided highways.

5mph over posted limit elsewhere

Reactions: gigawhat?
My observation is that speed up only goes as fast as your speed before it slowed down.

Let's say you are doing 60.
You pass a 50 sign - the car slows to 50(+5 if you have that set)
So long as you do not disengage, when you pass the next 60 sign, it will go back up to 60.
If you pass a 70 sign, it will not speed up passed the highest speed you were already going,which was 60.

My observation is that speed up only goes as fast as your speed before it slowed down.

Let's say you are doing 60.
You pass a 50 sign - the car slows to 50(+5 if you have that set)
So long as you do not disengage, when you pass the next 60 sign, it will go back up to 60.
If you pass a 70 sign, it will not speed up passed the highest speed you were already going,which was 60.
This is not what I observe. If I have TACC active in a 55 mph zone and I pass a 35 mph sign, the car successfully reads and displays the 35 mph sign but most of the time does not change speed (i.e., Max Speed is still 55). I say most of the time because every once in a while (for no reason I can make sense of) it does change to the new speed.

I figured it's just plain broken. Is this not normal?

Reactions: danaleighton
This is not what I observe. If I have TACC active in a 55 mph zone and I pass a 35 mph sign, the car successfully reads and displays the 35 mph sign but most of the time does not change speed (i.e., Max Speed is still 55). I say most of the time because every once in a while (for no reason I can make sense of) it does change to the new speed.

I figured it's just plain broken. Is this not normal?
Ahhhh.
Yes, TACC does not adjust speed. I confirmed mine behaves this way.
However, Autopilot does adjust speed for me as I described above.
My apologies for missing that in your original post.

I wondered about the same thing... did only 110 km (70 mi) today in my new M3LR with 80% hwy driving.
Say with a 100km/h limit, AutoSteer stuck to 100km/h (but would not allow me to go over); but did not change speed up when previously reduced to say 80, 60... hence, I had to re-engage the AutoSteer or TACC. This is no good, and looks like a fault.
It should pick up the signs and adjust accordingly; auto-steer or not.

Reactions: rjpjnk
With all of this pretty basic confusion in the software is it realistic that FSD will be available by the end of 2022? I believe that is what Elon is saying now. Call me skeptical. Or is it just that only those who have paid the $10,000 have these "advanced " features"?

Elon originally said your car in 2019 would be able to drive LA to NYC without you.
I appreciate his confidence but would prefer that he try to be more realistic. I am reminded of the "boy who cried wolf" Perhaps a reason why so few new Tesla buyers (about 10% I believe) are signing up for the FSD option.
A totally irrelevant aside: Beautiful setting, beautiful town Boulder!! I used to live there, about 35 years ago. Owned a pet store just east of the Pearl Street Mall. I remember a road full of curves I used to take on my motorcycle into the foothills on my trip to the store and back among many other fond memories...

Last edited:
Reactions: boulder.dude
I appreciate his confidence but would prefer that he try to be more realistic. I am reminded of the "boy who cried wolf" Perhaps a reason why so few new Tesla buyers (about 10% I believe) are signing up for the FSD option.
A totally irrelevant aside: Beautiful setting, beautiful town Boulder!! I used to live there, about 35 years ago. Owned a pet store just east of the Pearl Street Mall. I remember a road full of curves I used to take on my motorcycle into the foothills on my trip to the store and back among many other fond memories...
On the drop off in FSD purchasers… others on this site has said it is a result of mainstream buyers (vs. true believers) representing a greater share of the Tesla customer base. I’d pay $20K for unsupervised FSD but it’s 10+ years away!

Thanks, Boulder is awesome and happy to say Model Ys are beginning to almost outnumber Subarus now…

On the drop off in FSD purchasers… others on this site has said it is a result of mainstream buyers (vs. true believers) representing a greater share of the Tesla customer base. I’d pay $20K for unsupervised FSD but it’s 10+ years away!

Thanks, Boulder is awesome and happy to say Model Ys are beginning to almost outnumber Subarus now…
I will definitely keep driving for as long as I feel competent to do so but it would be nice to have FSD in the future when we need it to stay on the road.
In our area we have seen a Tesla, any Tesla, twice in the last year!