Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoSteer nerfed in EU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Until all this is clarified, I am halting my ModelX updates. 2019.12.1.2 is good enough until we have NoA in Spain which is the only thing that could make me accept the UN-rule regression.

Accepted 2019.16.1 today. In Norway. Got NoA. But have not driven the car yet.

I'm hoping Tesla can train the NN to drive in curves well enough to avoid this limitation.

Looks like Enhanced Summon will be completely forbidden because of this. So everyone in EU, write to your representatives. And with the EU election coming up, ask the candidates if they support autonomous vehicle innovation. Voting matters!

I think you either misread the limit or haven't seen Summon in action. The acceleration limit is 3 meters/second squared. Not 3 meters/minute...

Ive had a go below, but somebody with a better calculator may be able to pull my figures apart..

minimum desired radius of a 60km/h road as per this document is around 255m (less with more camber)
http://www.standardsforhighways.co.uk/ha/standards/dmrb/vol6/section1/td993.pdf

Circumference of that radius is 1602m.

That doesn't smell right - that would imply 400 meters needed to complete a 90 degree turn at 60kph.

Putting that into perspective - the circumference of a lap track around a rugby field is 400m - you can certainly drive around that at 60kph and that is 360 degrees, not just 90.

The WA state turn radius is 250ft minimum, 350ft desirable, which is 478m minimum/670m desirable circumference. Or 119m to 167m traveled for a 90 degree turn - which sounds more correct to me.

Long time lurker here.

As a matter of Engineering i have to step in with some physics. The limitation of 3m/s2 lateral acceleration allows easily to calculate the limit speed for a given turn radius.
a= v sqared / r
v = square root ( a r )

This results in:
Max turn radius r = 12 m -> 6 m/s = 21.6 km/h
Normal tight turn r = 20 m -> 7.8 m/s = 27.9 km/h

If autopilot takes these turns with that speed I would call it spirited driving. I will be quite glad when my Model X will cause me to grab onto the door handles in city travel.
Are you saying autosteer turn rate hasn’t exceeded the new regulation limits prior to this update? As in it won’t really make a difference?

Found an interesting study that somewhat contradicts my and UltimateX's initial thinking that 3m/s^2 was reasonably generous (and hence my reason for looking for an alternate explanation which mongo invalidated)...

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/ddns/2015/494130/

I'll copy a few select sentences the first from the introduction, the remaining from the conclusion:

"Therefore, Tan conducted an experiment wherein male and female subjects of various ages were driven around three horizontal curves at a test track and asked to indicate when they felt uncomfortable. The 10%, 50%, and 90% uncomfortable lateral acceleration values were then determined [5]."

"The lateral accelerations of highways with six lanes were less than 3.5 m/s^2, and most were less than 1.8 m/s^2."

"However, in a mountainous area, an increasing number of lateral accelerations exceeded the comfort limit, and a small part of the data exceeded the medium comfort limit (3.6 m/s^2)."

"With a design speed of 30 km/h in a mountain area, a large proportion of the lateral accelerations exceeded the discomfort limit (5 m/s^2)."

A friend of mine started a petition action to counter these absurd regulations: Please sign!

Stop crippling Tesla Autopilot in Europe
Who exactly are you petitioning though? From what I can tell this is not EU law, so I'm not sure how binding this regulation actually is. Could it be that Tesla is just adopting it voluntarily to avoid the expense of getting approval in each country individually?

Also, the UN commission that released this regulation (UN/ECE) actually has many non-EU members, including the US:

Member States and Member States Representatives

I think you either misread the limit or haven't seen Summon in action. The acceleration limit is 3 meters/second squared. Not 3 meters/minute...

That’s not what I’m talking about. It’s page 20:

”5.6.1.2.7. The specified maximum RCP operating range shall not exceed 6 m.”

RCP is Remote Controlled Parking. Sounds like Enhanced Summon to me.

Who exactly are you petitioning though? From what I can tell this is not EU law, so I'm not sure how binding this regulation actually is. Could it be that Tesla is just adopting it voluntarily to avoid the expense of getting approval in each country individually?

Also, the UN commission that released this regulation (UN/ECE) actually has many non-EU members, including the US:

Member States and Member States Representatives

It does seem like the EU is the only one to implement these UN regulations at the moment, because the changes Tesla has made line up with them so well. But indeed I’ve seen no one find the actual EU directives yet.

Are you saying autosteer turn rate hasn’t exceeded the new regulation limits prior to this update? As in it won’t really make a difference?

I think the regulation results in reasonsble turnrates which are within an acceptable comfort range for average riders.
As often the EU regulates everything which we would call common sense, complicating everything with misguided good Intention to create an standard.

Reactions: fmonera
Reactions: Seattle Tom
I tried this update on some windy UK roads this afternoon. On some tighter curves the IC popped up an “Autopilot limited” message and the car decelerated but it did make the turns.

I can’t quantify with numbers but my impression is the car only exceeded the steering limit when it entered curves at an inappropriate speed.

This limit isn’t really an issue in practice at the moment imo.

I tried this update on some windy UK roads this afternoon. On some tighter curves the IC popped up an “Autopilot limited” message and the car decelerated but it did make the turns
It makes sense to slowdown and turn if that's what regulation says.

As it is I find AP/FSD aggressive - I hope they have modes for that. I want AP/FSD to be in chill mode. BTW, does the mode I set dictate how AP/FSD behaves ?