Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoSteer nerfed in EU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Self-driving cars have to be safer than regular cars. The question is how much.

A 2017 study from RAND Corporation found that the sooner highly automated vehicles are deployed, the more lives will ultimately be saved, even if the cars are just slightly safer than cars driven by humans. Researchers found that in the long term, deploying cars that are just 10 percent safer than the average human driver will save more lives than waiting until they are 75 percent or 90 percent better.

In other words, while we wait for self-driving cars to be perfect, more lives could be lost.​

Deploying Autonomous Vehicles Before They're Perfect Will Save More Lives

The Enemy of Good
Estimating the Cost of Waiting for Nearly Perfect Automated Vehicles​

Reactions: willow_hiller
A friend of mine started a petition action to counter these absurd regulations: Please sign!

Stop crippling Tesla Autopilot in Europe

Signed. Do you have this update yourself? You could force updates since you have a rooted car, right? :)

Already heard reports that it doesn't manage turns it did before. Low speed zones with sharper turns. We're not talking big g-forces here.
So that means that Tesla might have taken the lazy route, and exclusively use turn angle as the solitary input... Which is BAD.

They can a) do the calculations of speed and turn angle on wheel -> car turn angle.
b) use a PID controller on speed and the internal accelerometer.

I hope this is a temporary quick fix. It goes beep beep and disengages AP right before the turn. This really is bad. Future of FSD seems completely out the window now unless they get their **** together and either fix the code to work in all turns or they talk to EU or whatever.

Reactions: paaltio
the safe speed is calculated from road curvature. So if that is not on the map or is incorrect - it then does the vision estimated curvature that's kind of late

Are the different types of exit also stored in the hidden nav maps as well or does that come from openstreetmap? For example where a lane becomes the exit ramp, vs the exit ramp being a new lane separated from the lane by a dashed lane.

Got NoA in the UK as part of 2019.16.2 (was torn with staying on 2019.12 due to the nerfing, but jumped) and when we got to my exit where the lane I was in becomes the exit ramp, NoA signalled and was about to drive into the verge.

Looking at the openstreetmap data for that junction, the way it is mapped doesn't really reflect the reality - it shows 4 lanes splitting into 2 exit lanes + 3 lanes about where the car tried to join the verge, but the reality is about 400 yards before that, the 4 lanes splits becomes 1 exit lane + 3 lanes, then at the 2nd point, the 3 lanes splits again with an extra exit lane separated by a dashed line.

Would updating the opensteetmap data eventually aid NoA at this exit?

Interesting that anyone can go edit Open Street Map and cause NoA to try to crash...
Any data to back that claim?

Tesla map data is not updated in real time.

There is a process to catch rouge editors
Vandalism - OpenStreetMap Wiki

Vision (and fleet data) trumps map data

Tesla probably doesn't even use OSM, and if it does, it is post processed with the tile data. https://www.quora.com/Whose-mapping...Has-it-always-been-the-same-Who-is-the-latest

Model 3 is using Google map for turn-by-turn navigation
(In discussion)

Had the update today. Really limits autosteer. Even moderate corners it freaks out at now, just beeping and disengaging. Pretty much limits it back to staying in lane in motorways. Shame as it really seemed solid to me before

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
Had the update today. Really limits autosteer. Even moderate corners it freaks out at now, just beeping and disengaging. Pretty much limits it back to staying in lane in motorways. Shame as it really seemed solid to me before

Since Tesla say it should only be used on divided highways anyway that doesn't seem like much of a limitation. If anything it's just preventing you from using it in a dangerous, untested and unsanctioned manner.