Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autosteer not as good as Volvo, others?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just finished a 1500 mile trip on Autopilot 80%of the time. I let the car do lane changing, especially in heavy high speed traffic. It does much better than I do! I drove hundreds of miles between Superchargers without a disengagement. Don’t know if variances between reporters are car related, driver related or both.

I've looked into the Cadillac system and i'm not a fan. From what i've seen and read; they will only have autopilot on highways that have been approved by Cadillac…

This. Super Cruise is a joke. I’ve seen a lot of praise for Super Cruise from articles online, which just leaves me scratching my head and wondering how the writers find this system even remotely acceptable. The nearest Super Cruise compatible highway is about 70 miles east from my home, and if I go any other direction I might as well forget it. For 99% of the driving I do, it’s not available.

Actually, I’ve got close to 4,500 miles on my Model S now, and I don’t think a single mile of that was Super Cruise compatible road.

Reactions: emmz0r
This. Super Cruise is a joke. I’ve seen a lot of praise for Super Cruise from articles online, which just leaves me scratching my head and wondering how the writers find this system even remotely acceptable. The nearest Super Cruise compatible highway is about 70 miles east from my home, and if I go any other direction I might as well forget it. For 99% of the driving I do, it’s not available.

Actually, I’ve got close to 4,500 miles on my Model S now, and I don’t think a single mile of that was Super Cruise compatible road.

I don't think many there are many systems in the world that come close to the amount of places that Tesla can drive. Since you can turn on Tesla Autopilot anywhere that their are lane markings. Openpilot is the only system that can be used as much, from what I seen in a video, it could even be used when lines were not present. However it might not be good to use Openpilot without lines as I did see it drive off the road in that same video.

But it is pretty obvious that if anyone likes the autopilot features in any car, unless you are constantly commuting on an approved highway that other autopilot systems allow you to activate them on, Tesla is by far the best choice. I would even say Tesla is always the best choice even if you are constantly commuting on one of those highways.

I have a model Y and a 2019 XC90.

Here are a few comparisons of their autosteer functionality:

1) prompts to show driver alertness are pretty annoying in frequency and randomness with Tesla, they have a more predictable frequency with Volvo.
2) tesla requires a wiggle of the steering wheel (not something i enjoy doing at highway speeds in heavy traffic) while Volvo you can just grip or tap the wheel
3) tesla gets close to concrete dividers (especially) and sometimes other adjacent vehicles, Volvo seems to do less drifting and pinging within a lane
4) Volvo supports micro adjustments if the driver feels the AP is getting too close to an object etc, tesla just flips out and exits
5) if you change lane with AP engaged, Volvo automatically re-engages once the maneuver is complete, tesla requires you to re-engage it (yeah I'm not buying into the pre-pay for FSD, they have a long way to go yet)
6) volvo AP works at whatever speed you want wherever you want, Tesla restricts speed based on its interpretation of local speed limits
Bonus comparison
7) maximum speed can be limited on tesla but you have to also have "chill" acceleration, why?! On Volvo you get an alert if you hit your max speed, you can independently set your acceleration/performance preferences.

I heard cadillac have a good system, anyone got a similar comparison?

I've found that you don't have to wiggle the wheel,but just gently pushing the wheel until the alert goes away works really well. after a few times you get the hang of it and know exactly how much pressure to rid that alert...or you could get an orange.

I don't think many there are many systems in the world that come close to the amount of places that Tesla can drive. Since you can turn on Tesla Autopilot anywhere that their are lane markings. Openpilot is the only system that can be used as much, from what I seen in a video, it could even be used when lines were not present. However it might not be good to use Openpilot without lines as I did see it drive off the road in that same video.

But it is pretty obvious that if anyone likes the autopilot features in any car, unless you are constantly commuting on an approved highway that other autopilot systems allow you to activate them on, Tesla is by far the best choice. I would even say Tesla is always the best choice even if you are constantly commuting on one of those highways.

This is what I love about autopilot. They are not scared to have it enabled everywhere, and it performs well i most situations. Especially with HW3 and the sign reading. I really love the "why have stupid limitations" way of thinking

This is what I love about autopilot. They are not scared to have it enabled everywhere, and it performs well i most situations. Especially with HW3 and the sign reading. I really love the "why have stupid limitations" way of thinking

Well I agree and disagree. Enabled everywhere is great for data as long as the people using it actually pay attention, obviously a lot of people sitll don't and I usually suspect the people on here complaining about autopilot to be those people.

As for the stupid limitations, it's just because the systems that other manufacturers have is new and lacks everything that Tesla has been building for the past decade. They will eventually catch up but if Elon is right about Lidar being a crutch and that everyone will eventually abandon it, then they are so much further behind than they even seem to be now. I can't say for certain yet, I don't have expertise in that field to say if relying on Lidar will have negative outcomes or not. I do have faith that Tesla is going in the right direction because they are leading this charge towards full self driving despite what some people think.

Applying a slight bit of resistance to the auto steer's steering also works, but that is difficult on a straight section and also difficult not to apply too much force and turn it off
It's not difficult for me. I drive 99% of the time on AP on the highway (30+ miles per commute per way) and never or hardly ever see nags, because I've learned how to hold the wheel properly.

Well I agree and disagree. Enabled everywhere is great for data as long as the people using it actually pay attention, obviously a lot of people sitll don't and I usually suspect the people on here complaining about autopilot to be those people.

I don't like the idea of collectively punishing people who can actually pay attention (as they should). So good on Tesla for standing firm.

As for the stupid limitations, it's just because the systems that other manufacturers have is new and lacks everything that Tesla has been building for the past decade. They will eventually catch up but if Elon is right about Lidar being a crutch and that everyone will eventually abandon it, then they are so much further behind than they even seem to be now. I can't say for certain yet, I don't have expertise in that field to say if relying on Lidar will have negative outcomes or not. I do have faith that Tesla is going in the right direction because they are leading this charge towards full self driving despite what some people think.

MobilEye doesn't rely on LIDAR and they sell their systems to the manufacturers. Actually they might be ahead of Tesla for all I know.

MobilEye doesn't rely on LIDAR and they sell their systems to the manufacturers. Actually they might be ahead of Tesla for all I know.

I do like the concept of mobileye but I still think they have a lot of work to catch up to Tesla even if it does mostly come down to mass release / broad testing. I am excited to see how they do as they seem to have at least 6 manufacturers that will want their systems in their vehicles. One advantage that they have going for them is they have already started collecting data from sensors on cars from some manufacturers that they will work with.

I am also excited to see new systems coming into play but until they are available to drive by anyone that buys a certain car, it's hard for me to compare them to Tesla. I will even use Tesla as an example; Tesla released an amazing video of one of their cars performing nearly perfectly for a long drive that even had turns on it that was performed by the car. However, I'm not really going to say that Tesla is that much further ahead of the rest of the competition because so far it's not available to even private beta testers. Now this could actually be close as Elon has said a few days ago that the private beta is 2-4 weeks away for their rewrite.

But when we see a video by a company where a car is driving by itself, even if it does perform perfectly, the test was most likely preformed in an area with the least amount of variables or only variables that they know the system can handle. When it's released to the public and can drive millions or billions of miles collectively without more than an acceptable amount of accidents, that's when it's real. I say 'acceptable amount of accidents' because I think that's what we really need to look at. As terrible as it is, if self driving cars kill people, but at a severely lower rate than what is present, I think that is a successful system. over 1 million people die from a car accident yearly, so if self driving cars do kill people but they can save a lot more, I think that is a trade worth accepting.

• Funny
Reactions: Daniel in SD
I do about 300 miles interstate driving 3 times a week, 2 interstate changes and I do most of it on NoA. There are 2 places where the car will briefly slow down, and I disengage before hitting that point.

I normally have my left hand at position 8 oclock and never get a nag. hour and a half later, i will take off ramp charge car and then head back.

1) prompts to show driver alertness are pretty annoying in frequency and randomness with Tesla, they have a more predictable frequency with Volvo.

Pretty sure this is done on purpose. Volvo is using a predictable timer, while Tesla has some algorithm running.

4) Volvo supports micro adjustments if the driver feels the AP is getting too close to an object etc, tesla just flips out and exits

OG autopilot had this. This functionality was apparently taken out on purpose.

It would be pretty easy for Tesla to tweak autopilot to "feel" better, like take out the nags and limits. Longtime Tesla owners say OG autopilot felt better than we have today. But after the high-profile crashes I don't think the safety team will allow it.

OG autopilot had this. This functionality was apparently taken out on purpose.

It would be pretty easy for Tesla to tweak autopilot to "feel" better, like take out the nags and limits. Longtime Tesla owners say OG autopilot felt better than we have today. But after the high-profile crashes I don't think the safety team will allow it.

I remember this in 2018. I could prevent it from going in the middle in merging lanes.
AP today is dumb as a brick and they can't bother to allow you do do this anymore or have a very simple logic to stay the same distance to the line that is continuous .

I am a fan as a software engineer, to follow Steve Jobs' principle: User experience FIRST. Then you develop the tech to accommodate that.

Reactions: SalisburySam
I h

This would a very nice update to AP. Too often, vehicles in the adjacent lanes drift side to side while AP stays put. I would be nice to be able to move over a bit without causing autosteer to disengage.

7) maximum speed can be limited on tesla but you have to also have "chill" acceleration, why?! On Volvo you get an alert if you hit your max speed, you can independently set your acceleration/performance preferences.

I agree. I don't quite understand the reasoning behind this one. It would be great to have the ability to set the speed limit in sport mode as well.

This would a very nice update to AP. Too often, vehicles in the adjacent lanes drift side to side while AP stays put. I would be nice to be able to move over a bit without causing autosteer to disengage.

This would be against the Tesla philosophy. I would prefer the autopilot to adapt the lateral position to circumstances. If a truck is coming towards me on the other side of a two-lane country road, move over a little, then move back closer to the center of the road after passing the truck. If there are pedestrians very near the road, move towards the center dividing line. After passing them, move back a little.

This would be against the Tesla philosophy. I would prefer the autopilot to adapt the lateral position to circumstances. If a truck is coming towards me on the other side of a two-lane country road, move over a little, then move back closer to the center of the road after passing the truck. If there are pedestrians very near the road, move towards the center dividing line. After passing them, move back a little.

That would be ideal and will probably end up happening, but until that time, let the driver make adjustments accordingly instead of having to disengage and re-engage. And it could also be a user-selectable option.