Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoSteer not recognizing turn lanes on non-highway surface streets

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I have the Full Self-Driving Capability with Autopilot package on my 2021 MS Plaid. I’ve noticed recently that the vehicle doesn’t move into turn lanes on surface roads when Autosteer is engaged and my turn signal is active and/or if the vehicle is currently in a turn lane, it doesn’t make the turn with autosteer is engaged. In either scenario, the turn lane is recognized on the Tesla main display. I’ve taken the MS to a service center and was told that this is either due to limitation of FSD and/or it only works on highways (not surface street). I’m annoyed by the fact that my $10K FSD option has so many limitations. Am I doing something wrong here, to get my MS to behave normally with turn lanes?

Hi everyone,

I have the Full Self-Driving Capability with Autopilot package on my 2021 MS Plaid. I’ve noticed recently that the vehicle doesn’t move into turn lanes on surface roads when Autosteer is engaged and my turn signal is active and/or if the vehicle is currently in a turn lane, it doesn’t make the turn with autosteer is engaged. In either scenario, the turn lane is recognized on the Tesla main display. I’ve taken the MS to a service center and was told that this is either due to limitation of FSD and/or it only works on highways (not surface street). I’m annoyed by the fact that my $10K FSD option has so many limitations. Am I doing something wrong here, to get my MS to behave normally with turn lanes?
Are you actually in the FSD BETA program?

Hi everyone,

If you're not in the Beta test program then you have Navigate in Autopilot (limited access highways), highway Auto Lane Change, and Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control; however, you do not yet have Autosteer on city steets. That is projected to go to wide release later this year.
Further details are available on the order page:Design Your Model S | Tesla

SmartSelect_20220820-111020_Firefox.jpg

Are you actually in the FSD BETA program?
I’ve been enrolled in the FSD BETA queue since delivery in Nov 2021. I haven’t been notified of any changes in that queue status. Mind you, Navigate on Autopilot is available and active for me. It’s just that AutoSteer doesn’t know what to do with turn lanes. Sorry, this is my first Tesla with FSD/autopilot (prior 75D didn’t have it).

I’ve been enrolled in the FSD BETA queue since delivery in Nov 2021. I haven’t been notified of any changes in that queue status. Mind you, Navigate on Autopilot is available and active for me. It’s just that AutoSteer doesn’t know what to do with turn lanes. Sorry, this is my first Tesla with FSD/autopilot (prior 75D didn’t have it).
In the queue means you don’t have it yet. The car will not behave as you are hoping until you are in the BETA program. Perhaps later this year when the BETA is supposed to open up to more owners.

Navigate on Autopilot and Autopilot itself are just for use on highways.

I wonder if Tesla needs to require a completion of a short course about what each of these programs actually are meant to DO, so owners can choose what's best for them. Personally, I like to drive myself and don't need any FSD or NoA. The problems seem to occur on city streets, when it was my understanding that these programs were designed for highway use, so I would expect there to be bad experiences.

I wonder if Tesla needs to require a completion of a short course about what each of these programs actually are meant to DO, so owners can choose what's best for them. Personally, I like to drive myself and don't need any FSD or NoA. The problems seem to occur on city streets, when it was my understanding that these programs were designed for highway use, so I would expect there to be bad experiences.
Do you find the order page details insufficient? Or are you think of the case when others drive the car?