Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autosteer on 90 degree turn

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a fairly sharp 90 degree turn on my morning commute. I've been trying to 'teach' AP to take the turn. At first it would plow straight through. After a few times it would initiate the turn but still miss it. Finally today it was able to make the turn unassisted. It did cross the yellow line and if a car was approaching I would've taken over, but it was pretty cool to watch.

Interesting but I'm sure you know that your technically not suppose to use auto pilot on 2 lane roads / roads without a center divider according to the manual. Some people don't know that so I feel the need to comment because in my opinion all these recent accidents are due to misuse or misunderstanding of the limitations of the current BETA autopilot features... Its definitely a drivers assistant not a fully autonomous replacement. Please be careful out there testing the features, as you said you where ready to take over if necessary, some people don't get that and think autopilot does it all!!

I have a fairly sharp 90 degree turn on my morning commute. I've been trying to 'teach' AP to take the turn. At first it would plow straight through. After a few times it would initiate the turn but still miss it. Finally today it was able to make the turn unassisted. It did cross the yellow line and if a car was approaching I would've taken over, but it was pretty cool to watch.

You are not supposed to use AP in a 2 lane road with oncoming traffic right next to you. When you crash we don't want to hear you claim AP did it.

Serious? Is this what the forum has come to?

Actually yes just in case you have been under a rock, every 5 minutes somebody claims AP has crashed their vehicle and all that is going to happen is that it gets disabled for all. The latest news from Germany is that beta software would have never gotten approved from their regulators so it will probably be the first country to ban AP in its current state regardless if it performs better than Mercedes's current system

• Disagree
Reactions: alseTrick
The latest news from Germany is that beta software would have never gotten approved from their regulators so it will probably be the first country to ban AP in its current state regardless if it performs better than Mercedes's current system
Sigh... and this is the issue with sensationalized media and just reading the headlines.

All articles say this in one form or another, but here's the first one I found German authority would not have approved beta-phase Tesla autopilot: newspaper
' "If the word beta-phase means an incomplete status of the software, the KBA would not authorize (such) a functionality," the newspaper quoted the KBA as saying.'
And
'The Berlin ministry, for its part, said it was "clarifying technical issues" with Tesla but denied it was investigating the company for not sufficiently informing authorities'

It said IF beta were to mean that it's incomplete, they would not have authorized it (they did authorize it), and there is no investigation going on now.

AND
Germany's Transport Ministry Denies It Is Investigating Tesla

Well, I found it interesting, especially if it really does 'learn' over a period of time, presumably from both the OP's driving, but also any other Tesla driver on that road, with or without AP enabled. I don't think it's really necessary to remind someone about the 'rules' of AP each time they post, is it? The OP clear stated he was ready to take over, so if anything his attention on the road was probably better than the typical driver distracted by their phone and Big Gulp.

Did it slow down? Hard to tell from the video. At one point i thought I had read that AP would slow the vehicle if needed to make a curve. But I could be mistaken.
Today I set TACC to 40mph and to my surprise, the car did slow down when approaching the curve. It entered the turn at around 33mph but it was too fast for AS to complete the turn successfully.

tl;dr;

Here's what I got out of that screen:

Autosteer feature...
Do you want to enable... ?​

YES
:p

Then you're doing it wrong. I recall many such warnings and did abide by reading fully what was disclosed in each case. Ignore it at your own peril, but don't activate it around others if you are not mature enough to do the due diligence to operating such a complex and advanced piece of technological machinery. I would not want to see you be blamed for the death of another human being or yourself.

http://jalopnik.com/why-teslas-autopilot-isnt-the-menace-you-think-it-is-1783682751

Last edited: