Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autosteer overtake, how?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had my Model Y for a couple of weeks now and tried to use autosteer a lot and it works fairly well how I cannot for the life of me get it to change lanes.

I have all the settings right as far as I can see and to the most aggressive Mad Max road however when I indicate left or right it has just never even tried to change lanes, even when no other cars around. What am I missing?

These are on Scottish dual carriageways.

Reactions: Jane4
The roads need to be mapped as dual carriageways with a barrier-protected central reservation. Without that it won't do anything, and I suspect that's what you're seeing here.

You should see, instantly, a proposed path on the visualisation of where the car intends to move to (an empty box with blue shading in the new lane) when the indicator goes on. If this doesn't appear, the lane change will never occur.

It'll ask you to apply a small amount of force to the wheel to confirm the lane change.

Basic Autopilot will not change lanes, you need EAP or FSD to do that.

To change lanes manually, indicate and it will then let you take over steering with less effort. Once you have completed lane change you must switch Autosteer back on.

As many will tell you, this isn't a great solution and other cars have LKA better implemented. EAP is an expensive option to just be able to change lanes with less faff.

I have EAP or certainly I specced that in the lease so assume I have.

It has all been on the same road that I have tried it and the blue shaded box has never come up when indicating. The road is a proper barrier separated dual carriageway so sounds like it should work. I'm heading down to Edinburgh tomorrow so will have a greater variety of roads to try it on. Might just be a mapping issue on that particular stretch of dual carriageway.

Double check the Software page in the car to see if you do have Enhanced Autopilot. It wouldn’t be the first time a lease has ended up delivered with an option missing.

Beyond that I think you have to turn on Navigate on Autopilot, i.e. plot a route, to get prompts to overtake, though I could be wrong.

Reactions: Welsh-Bloke
On reflection, the fact that you can get into the NoA settings (you mentioned MadMax) does sound like you have EAP.

IIRC there are rules about NoA only working on roads with proper exit/entry slip roads. Hopefully it will work on some other roads - keep us updated.

I think it is the road to be honest as when your driving on it, it shows on the display as a single lane and does not show the inner or outer lane, depending on which you are sat in.

Bit of a shame the nearest motorway is about 125 miles away....

When you’re trying auto lane change are you doing the full press of the stalk that turns the signal on and leaves it on, or the light press that flashes 3 times? I’m in the US, so maybe this is different, but my recollection is auto lane change only works on the light 3-flash press, not the full one.

When you’re trying auto lane change are you doing the full press of the stalk that turns the signal on and leaves it on, or the light press that flashes 3 times ?
This. Caught me out when I first added EAP.

You’ll also need to nudge the wheel to initiate the manoeuvre, depending on whether moving to left or right lane. Follow the on-screen prompts.

Reactions: hgmichna
The 'need to nudge' should really described as 'might need to nudge' as 'the nudge' is not a requirement but is a way to satisfy the real requirement.

The real requirement is that at the point of making the auto lane change (not sure if its when indicating too, but definitely sure its needed at the point that the maneuverer starts), you need to have satisfied sufficiently the 'drive must be paying attention check', which is basically satisfying the hands on wheel with sufficient torque.

If the car does not detect that that requirement has been satisfied, then it goes into prompt mode, by which time, a 'nudge' (or other equally sufficient methods to satisfy the torque detection) will be necessary to be performed before the manoeuvre times out.

If you don't normally hold the wheel in a way to continuously satisfy the torque requirements, then its easy to think that its 'the nudge' that is needed.

All these observations are from before the in cabin camera was activated. Torque requirements may now also be influenced by visual driver alertness que's and are likely to vary between geographic regions especially if those under UN/ECE regulations start to benefit from the formal introduction of L3 rules - last I read, those will not require any specific checks, just to satisfy a check every (iirc) 30 seconds that may be in the form of a physical interaction (ie steering torque) or visual driver alertness - although auto lane change may differ.

Double check the Software page in the car to see if you do have Enhanced Autopilot. It wouldn’t be the first time a lease has ended up delivered with an option missing.

Beyond that I think you have to turn on Navigate on Autopilot, i.e. plot a route, to get prompts to overtake, though I could be wrong.
With FSD, you don't need to be on Navigate on Autopilot to change lanes with the turn signal - I use it all the time in town. I'd expect EAP to be the same. But I don't think automatic overtaking works without "navigate on...". I'm not even sure that EAP can do it under any circumstances.

Reactions: Stuart Watson