Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autosteer reliability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How’s the autosteer on Australian roads, specifically Melbourne? My regular route shares with trams on some sections, if it can detect lane markings vs tram lines? Thanks.
Doesn't seem to have any problems with tram tracks. I often use AP along High St, Malvern and & Toorak Rd in SE Melbourne, amongst trams. It is as though the tram tracks are not there and it respects the lane markings, while the visualiser shows trams as trucks. Perhaps unsurprising given Tesla is based in San Francisco bay area where they also have trams.

Currently not supposed to use in city environs but on motorways it seems OK but not comfortable - rather like a learner driver. Mine makes "lunges" when changing lanes (and sometimes aborts halfway across, causing passenger seat stains), and doesn't look far enough ahead to make turns smoothly even though it stays in lane.

Reactions: Leeroy and Hairyman
>>Its somewhat unpredictable. Always keep your hand on the wheel and importantly foot resting on the accelerator ready to move things along after it decides to brake.<<

And talking about "covering" a pedal, (manual driving), if waiting to turn across traffic at a crossroads keep your foot on the floor instead of hovering over the accelerator - it's so easy to just touch the pedal and with the instant response nudge out into the traffic!
(Posting for a friend... )

Reactions: paulp
Autosteer is really good as long as the lane markings are clear. Autosteer gets very confused on Monash Freeway where there are lane expansions happening. It make me very nervous as it does go very close to the outside lane markings... But otherwise its best at what it does. Although my mate's BMW X5 comes very close to Tesla. It steers around roundabouts and Tesla AP+ doesn't with as much certainty. It still has a way to go before its the best. Vision only should help massively with Autosteer.

Autosteer is really good as long as the lane markings are clear. Autosteer gets very confused on Monash Freeway where there are lane expansions happening. It make me very nervous as it does go very close to the outside lane markings... But otherwise its best at what it does. Although my mate's BMW X5 comes very close to Tesla. It steers around roundabouts and Tesla AP+ doesn't with as much certainty. It still has a way to go before its the best. Vision only should help massively with Autosteer.
I haven’t tried roundabouts yet. I was worried about the car slowing enough on approach rather than halfway through a turn.

Autosteer is good for long freeway drives. I've done Melbourne -- Sydney many times with maybe 1 or 2 times needing to take over.
It MUST be safer, I'm so much less tired and it's interesting watching the late night swerving by truck drivers having microsleeps...