Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autosteer sees route number signs as speed limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I travel on state routes 25 and 35 daily. These are both 50 mph roads. When AP/FSD is engaged on my 2022 Model S, every time I go by a state route sign, it is incorrectly interpreted as a speed limit sign and the car immediately changes the posted speed to 25 or 35 mph, slowing down the car. This seems dangerous when there is traffic following closely, and also annoying. I have to keep my foot on the throttle in order to maintain the correct speed.

I purchased FSD with my car, but not sure if this is an issue with AP, TACC or FSD.

I sent an email to Tesla support about it, but no response.

Does anyone else experience a similar misinterpretation of signs?

Attachments

• PXL_20220311_182941907.TS_exported_1600_1649343705405~2.jpg
    PXL_20220311_182941907.TS_exported_1600_1649343705405~2.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 141
If you know about a problem like this, then correct for it. Either use the accelerator to override, or use the scroll wheel to set a speed a little above, that tends to let it ignore such speed limit chatter. You bought the %$#@ thing, so figure out how to get around silly problems like this so you can enjoy it. Once you figure it out and adapt, you will. Forgive me, but such things happen, nobody at Tesla or anywhere is going to hand-hold you.

Personally I set my speed offset to -5 MPH and always ride the scroll wheel. I keep my foot near the accelerator, my right hand around the 3 o'clock position, to instantly adjust the target speed, and up-tap the "mode" change out of auto, if needed. It's part of operating the machine, even though most of the time I'm just enjoying watching.

Last edited:
Yes, I’ve had similar issues. The problem is your state uses a sign format that is deceptively similar to speed limit signs. They’re both as white rectangle with a black border, text on the top and a big number below. The two differences are what the text says and the black horizontal line. Quite honestly, if I glanced quickly at that sign I’d think it was a speed limit sign, too.

Report it to Tesla it don’t expect a response - there’s no way they can respond to everything. I expect it will get fixed eventually, but consider what they have to deal with - not just sign recognition of all the relevant signs but also the different signs for 50 different states, and that’s just for the U.S.

It doesn't even have to be that similar to a speed limit sign. There's a County Road 35 near where I live and the car frequently interprets it as a speed limit although the shape is different from an actual speed limit sign.

It'S a tricky software issue, be it from a speed limit sign or erroneous map data, and it may take a good while for the developers to completely fix. Not worth getting stressed. I believe it's behind a LOT of so-called "phantom braking".

Like for other possible flaws, it confirms Tesla's stated position, that you should never drive in autopilot modes without being ready and able to intervene on a moment's notice. In other words develop an active supervisory relationship with the automation. Sitting back and waiting for something to go whack, you're just adding response delay and stress.

Once you adjust your hand position, seating and attitude, and control that byatch, everything falls into place.

Reactions: sleepydoc