Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autosteer speed restricted after HW3 upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just received the HW3 upgrade a few days ago. Since the upgrade and at lower speeds, Autosteer speed is limited to the speed limit and it no longer allows me to increase the autosteer speed by a few miles an hour over the speed limit like it used to allow me before the HW3 upgrade. It does seem to allow for it over a certain speed limit such as 50 mph or maybe when I am on the highway, but when I am on regular roads with speed limits of 30 to 45, it limits the autosteer speed to the speed limit. I have checked every setting and even have the the speed limit function set to relative and +5 with no luck. Is this a part of a recent software upgrade or am is there an incorrect setting somewhere?

Basically local roads are limited to the speed limit. The exceptions are local roads that are divided (with a median). I believe on those you can set the limit higher. While on local roads with the limit you can still use the accelerator pedal to go faster without disengaging auto steer. As @n8dagr8 said the limit is imposed when you have traffic light and stop sign control on in settings.

See the section from Tesla's release notes in bold below.

Traffic Light and Stop Sign control (BETA)Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control is designed to recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs, slowing your car to a stop when using Traffic-Aware Cruise Control or Autosteer. This feature will slow the car for all detected traffic lights, including green, blinking yellow, and off lights. As your car approaches an intersection, your car will indicate the intention to slow down via a notification, slow down, and stop at the red line shown on the driving visualization.

To continue through the stop line, pull the Autopilot stalk once or briefly press the accelerator pedal to confirm that it is safe to proceed. As with all Autopilot features, you must continue to pay attention and be ready to take immediate action, including braking because this feature may not stop for all traffic controls. This feature will be conservative, slowdown often at first, and will not attempt to turn through intersections. Over time, as we learn from the fleet, the feature will control more naturally.

To continue through the stop line, push down the gear selector once or briefly press the accelerator pedal to confirm that it is safe to proceed. As with all Autopilot features, you must continue to pay attention and be ready to take immediate action, including braking because this feature may not stop for all traffic controls. This feature will be conservative, slowdown often at first, and will not attempt to turn through intersections. Over time, as we learn from the fleet, the feature will control more naturally.

To enable, shift your car into PARK and tap Controls > Autopilot > Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control (Beta).Note: When this feature is enabled, the maximum set speed while using Autosteer is limited to the speed limit of the road. Before this feature can be enabled, camera calibration may be required, and the latest version of Navigation maps must be downloaded via Wi-Fi. Please refer to the Owner's Manual for additional details about this feature.

• Informative
Reactions: wooter
I have found that although the auto speed is restricted (to the speed limit), you can over ride it by pressing the gas peddle. You can maintain a faster speed of your choosing, and everything else works (lane control, stop signs & lights with override, etc...) - you just control the speed with the peddle.

This is the greatest news ever and I have been saying for years. This is FSD. A lot of people have not realized this, but need to accept. Unlike 100% of drivers on the road, FSD follows the law.. If the speed limit is 50, your car will go 50. No higher no lower. Autonomous vehicles will require laws issuing their own speed limits, however until that point our cars will obey the existing driving laws. We will enter the age of 200+ MPH Hwy/street speeds, but will be a long way.

Hoping the car can drive like a human soon. Where in the world does driving the speed limit not cause traffic issues? In California where the car is made and tested it's literally dangerous to drive this way. I have my car set to drive 8 MPH over the limit and people blow past me wherever I drive. This feature only allowing you to go the speed limit is going to keep everyone from using it. That not help them get good information on it. They should be letting us drive with the rest of traffic and overriding if the car gets in over its head. Makes it easy to tell if there is something that needs to be fixed.

Hoping the car can drive like a human soon. Where in the world does driving the speed limit not cause traffic issues? In California where the car is made and tested it's literally dangerous to drive this way. I have my car set to drive 8 MPH over the limit and people blow past me wherever I drive. This feature only allowing you to go the speed limit is going to keep everyone from using it. That not help them get good information on it. They should be letting us drive with the rest of traffic and overriding if the car gets in over its head. Makes it easy to tell if there is something that needs to be fixed.
Then the speed limit should be increased

• Disagree
Reactions: israndy
The trick is that people drive what they feel competent to drive based on their environment. So if the Speed Limit is 70 they will drive faster than that until they are pulled over or the speed seems scary. If they are driving 100 MPH they are almost sure to be pulled over. But if they are driving 72 MPH they are almost assured to NOT be pulled over as it will be hard to get the fines to stick, it will end up in court. So over time we come to an agreement on the speed of roads. The trip SF to LA can be driven with cruise control on at 83 MPH where the limit is 70 and the cops will drive right by you.

@Nuclear Fusion seems to think that because Telsa has decided to limit the car's speed to the Speed Limit ALL OTHER CARS must now slow down and an increase in police presence must be asserted to impose this. That's crazy. This balance has been understood for a long time, and it would be best if Tesla adopts it soon as it's not safe driving this slow.

This is the greatest news ever and I have been saying for years. This is FSD. A lot of people have not realized this, but need to accept. Unlike 100% of drivers on the road, FSD follows the law.. If the speed limit is 50, your car will go 50. No higher no lower. Autonomous vehicles will require laws issuing their own speed limits, however until that point our cars will obey the existing driving laws. We will enter the age of 200+ MPH Hwy/street speeds, but will be a long way.

If the cars do not follow the laws once they are FSD it will be a great income source for small town USA. Catch the Tesla at 8 over and mail the ticket off to corporate. Do you even have to pull it over if there is no one inside?

• Disagree
Reactions: Biggus