Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoSteer Techniques?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i’ve had my Model X now since August and have yet to find a way to be comfortable with using AutoSteer (have only tried it on divided hwys). I’ve read PapaFox’s “A Pilot Teaches Autopilot” thread (good advice) but haven’t found any tips on how to deal with what I consider a major weakness where AS does not detect Hands On the Wheel except by applying torque (surely there’s hdw that senses hands’ electrical presence?). I’ve tried wiggling the steering wheel when the warning appears but sometimes miss that due to driving situations. I’ve tried applying constant torque by having my right hand applying a slight pull down or left hand, but find that the car offsets in the lane to the opposite side of the lane torque is applied! And when there’s a significant turn in the highway I remove both hands not wanting to interfere with the car’s positioning! I’ve given up using AS for now, but use TACC most of the time and love it. I’m also not impressed with AS’s inconsistent lane positioning.

I’ve tried searching for what techniques others are using here on the forum, but no luck.

Suggestions? Or maybe it’s best to simply NOT use it until it’s no longer “beta”.