Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autosteer veers to the right when there's a freeway onramp lane

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems to think the onramp lane is just a wider lane and tries to center the car between the left lane line and who knows what on the right.

At least I think that's what's going on - I grab the wheel before finding out for sure. Is that just me? It seems very basic.

We've only had the car a week, by the way - it's awesome. This is just the bad news.

It seems to think the onramp lane is just a wider lane and tries to center the car between the left lane line and who knows what on the right.

At least I think that's what's going on - I grab the wheel before finding out for sure. Is that just me? It seems very basic.

We've only had the car a week, by the way - it's awesome. This is just the bad news.

That is how it works. Sometimes very well, sometimes not so you might want to learn and adapt to the machine's behaviors until Tesla will work out all the bugs.

Okay, so it's not just me. Thanks.

My hunch is that this isn't so easy to fix, because it would have to do with the fundamental ways it judges where the lane is.

And... well, yah-uh I'm going to have to learn how the machine behaves!

You'll usually find that it does this on one specific offramp reproducibly and not on others, and the effect is usually mild. If it does badly enough, try to trigger a disengagement repeatedly. The more disengagements at a given location, the more likely that someone's car will upload data and that they'll figure out what's going on.

That said, with the city streets rewrite about to replace the highway Autopilot code, it might be moot.

Of course, if you're seeing this at a lot of highway ramps, it might point towards a camera calibration problem, so you might try recalibrating.

It will be interesting when the FSD Single Stack is done (maybe with 10.2 this weekend?) if that has an impact on Autopilot with respect to this issue (even when you don't have FSD). I would imagine that it would...but that's a complete and utter uninformed guess on my part.

You'll usually find that it does this on one specific offramp reproducibly and not on others, and the effect is usually mild. If it does badly enough, try to trigger a disengagement repeatedly. The more disengagements at a given location, the more likely that someone's car will upload data and that they'll figure out what's going on.

That said, with the city streets rewrite about to replace the highway Autopilot code, it might be moot.

That's interesting, although I noticed it twice at two different locations.

And I have to search for "city streets rewrite" so I know what it is!

It can be scary at first, but resist the urge to take over, I've found AP self-correct (I've never had it accidentally take an exit but I've had it miss an exit before)

Actually, it didn't occur to me that it would take an offramp. I was just worried about it drifting in front of cars entering the freeway. Nothing dangerous happened, but I'm not going to wait for it to figure things out in live traffic!

At the very least it would make me look like an obnoxious driver, moving over to block people from merging onto the freeway.

Okay, I looked up "city streets." It's not clear whether or not I already have that - we just got the car last week. Autosteer does work on city streets - until it doesn't.

In PA, many of the exit ramps do not have any line on the ramp - it's perceived by AP to suddenly be a wider lane. Same in entrances.

And yes, it definitely used to be much worse. And some it works fine - I suspect when there is a lead car, but that's a guess.

Actually, it didn't occur to me that it would take an offramp. I was just worried about it drifting in front of cars entering the freeway. Nothing dangerous happened, but I'm not going to wait for it to figure things out in live traffic!

At the very least it would make me look like an obnoxious driver, moving over to block people from merging onto the freeway.

Okay, I looked up "city streets." It's not clear whether or not I already have that - we just got the car last week. Autosteer does work on city streets - until it doesn't.
Yes, if you let it go, 90% of the time, in my experience, it will come back left (assume a right exit lane.) In very rare cases it will make a mildly drastic recovery. For example, I had one where the travel lane has a mild right turn already and the exit ramp starts to the right with no lines until the lane is full width. The car drifted somewhat right and ended up about half way across the line when it started to divide the exit lane. 99% of the time it has recovered to the left, but a couple times it was kind of drastic. Not enough that it jumped across the line on the left in to the passing lane, but it had me wondering. I had one occurrence where it decided to go right instead, picking the exit ramp. I quickly aborted it and recovered to the travel lane I wanted.

If you're new to it, watch out for the opposite case of merge ramps coming in from your right. It almost never drifts right very much any more for me on recent software (maybe just a foot or less sometimes.) However, and this is a big one in my book, it will brake for merging traffic on your right, sometimes for a car that is not ahead of you. At least around here, driver training says we don't brake for merging traffic from the right. So sure, there are some cases, the merging person is a car length ahead of you and you would be super close if they merged, so I would slow down to let them in. AP seems to behave badly for the case where a merging car is on your right and centered next to you or slightly behind. Or if your speed is higher and the merger has not sped up to match, but the merging car is a car length or less ahead of you. AP will often brake aggressively in these cases. It surprised me a couple times doing that. Especially for cases where you might be 10mph over the merging car because they didn't match speed, and you might expect them to merge behind you as you pass them (and cases like this where the merge line is still solid, so you wouldn't expect them to come across for several seconds yet anyway.) AP sometimes brakes to drop your speed so the merger can still come in. Maybe it's a confusion in AP between standard merge practice and collision avoidance, but it's pretty annoying.

If you're new to it, watch out for the opposite case of merge ramps coming in from your right
That's actually not the opposite case, it's the case I'm talking about!

And whether I brake for cars coming merging from the right depends on how far up their rear ends their heads are. :) I try to make a decision whether to speed up or slow down well ahead of time.

That's why I don't see myself using Autosteer when I'm in the right lane.

In my experience most drivers are quite oblivious of the fact that they do not have the right of way when merging onto a highway - which is one of the situations I don't see fully autonomous cars dealing with until all cars are fully autonomous.

Okay, now that you've got me started :) the one that infuriates me is when you're entering the freeway, you have your turn signal on to merge onto it, but the AH behind you decides to go first (since the lane clears for him/her first) and speed up. Grr.

I wish there were a succinct way to fit that on a bumper sticker telling people not to do it, and I wish cops would give people tickets for doing it. It's very dangerous, and also quite dicky.

Okay, so it's not just me. Thanks.

My hunch is that this isn't so easy to fix, because it would have to do with the fundamental ways it judges where the lane is.

And... well, yah-uh I'm going to have to learn how the machine behaves!
New owner, past couple of months.

Three AP bugs I've experienced:
- emergency false positive braking at highway speeds (disable that each time I start)
- taking over steering for me (permanently disable)
- unsafe AP onramp lane merge bug (your issue). On this forum in 2020, someone broke down how Virginia has different lane line markers than in NC. Surprised the F outta him when he drove from NC to VA. This isn't a "quirk" it's a potentially fatal bug

Reactions: nickbatz
New owner, past couple of months.

Three AP bugs I've experienced:
- emergency false positive braking at highway speeds (disable that each time I start)
- taking over steering for me (permanently disable)
- unsafe AP onramp lane merge bug (your issue). On this forum in 2020, someone broke down how Virginia has different lane line markers than in NC. Surprised the F outta him when he drove from NC to VA. This isn't a "quirk" it's a potentially fatal bug

We've had our Model 3 since the end of September, and I'm even more convinced now than I was at first that the only thing anywhere near ready for prime time is Autofollow - and I haven't experienced the false breaking, which would change my mind about that too.

Last night here in Los Angeles it went down to the low 50s, so there was some condensation on the car. We got a "multiple cameras blocked" message.

No Autopilot without cameras, right? The whole concept of autonomous driving is overhyped to the moon and back.

I'm totally thrilled with the car. It's a major advance over anything I've ever driven before. But the autoshite? Um, no.