Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autosteer: will new roads be added without a S/W update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the release of Autosteer on HW2 with 17.3.2, has anyone experienced Autosteer becoming available on a road that was not previously available? Will non-freeway roads be enabled automatically as more driving data is gathered, or will we be waiting for another S/W update?

...Will non-freeway roads be enabled automatically as more driving data is gathered, or will we be waiting for another S/W update?

I think it is too early for the system to take its own executive decisions to expand its capability like from 45 mph autosteer to higher speed or to non-freeways.

Tesla is monitoring the progress and will release an update every few weeks.

Last edited:
Great question! Been wondering about that myself

My question is really comes down to how the Tesla artificial intelligence system implements new learning. Does it require a software update to get all the learned lessons from the servers back to all the vehicles, or is the learning iterative where a new road can be added on the fly? If anyone has experienced Autosteer becoming available on a road that was not previously available (with the same software revision), then it would indicate the latter.

They still charge for Enhanced AutoPilot and offer full self drive.

That is horrible...

My question is really comes down to how the Tesla artificial intelligence system implements new learning. Does it require a software update to get all the learned lessons from the servers back to all the vehicles, or is the learning iterative where a new road can be added on the fly? If anyone has experienced Autosteer becoming available on a road that was not previously available (with the same software revision), then it would indicate the latter.

I would think both.

There's a certain amount of calibration that is allowed. When the AP2 software was pushed, the cars went into calibration mode. The more we drove, the more it learned and was able to identify roads and the lines within the roads.

With that said, Tesla utilizes fleet learning. It's one of the advantages as to why Tesla is able to develop their program so quickly. We are all Beta testers. While the information logs appear to upload on their own, I am not sure it would be safe for the programs to be updating while we drive - potentially with autosteer being active. Could you imagine if the software suddenly determined the road was 15 feet to your left? Given that, I believe Tesla pushes updates that could have a direct impact for us to choose when to update.

I have nothing to base this on but my guess is the fleet learning data will be downloaded separately from the software updates, much like how antivirus software downloads definitions frequently even though the antivirus software remains at the same version.

I have nothing to base this on but my guess is the fleet learning data will be downloaded separately from the software updates, much like how antivirus software downloads definitions frequently even though the antivirus software remains at the same version.
This is my understanding as well. My vehicle's AP performance seems to improve constantly without OTA updates.

Not likely because I believe they're releasing AP2 in a very slow, and careful manner. Where each step comes with a distinct update.

Now that doesn't have anything to do with the Map tile updates for AP. Those come in separately from the firmware updates. So you could certainly see improvements in how autosteering performed. But, I don't think you'll see any restrictions removed without an update.

Now that doesn't have anything to do with the Map tile updates for AP. Those come in separately from the firmware updates. So you could certainly see improvements in how autosteering performed. But, I don't think you'll see any restrictions removed without an update.

There are multiple reports of Autosteer behavior on the same road improving over time. I have experienced the same. If Map updates are in fact coming in separately from firmware updates, it would be entirely possible to enable a new road for Autosteer via a Map update without having to resort to a full firmware update, no? Isn't it more likely that the information as to whether a road is enabled for Autosteer is encoded with the Map information instead of in the firmware?