Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autosteer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there,

We got our model three sr+ a couple weeks ago and it truly is a fantastic car. We are blown away with it.

One of the things we debated before hand was whether or not to purchase FSD and decided it was best not to since we didn't even know when it would be fully available, and boy are we glad we did. Autosteer cannot handle the highways in Dallas, TX at all.

We have tried it as much as possible, but autosteer cannot seem to handle any kind of quick bend in the road, and frequently autocorrects. As it stands now, neither of us has been able to let it run on anything but fairly straight highways.

Has this been the experience any of you have had? Does autosteer improve over time? How can they possibly say FSD is close to release when this kind of highway driving isn't even possible yet?

not had that problem on most TX highways and have driven in Austin, Ft Worth, San Antonio and Houston.
Having said that, I've noticed that from 2020.36 onward it does seem more prone to making rough polygons out of smooth curves where it makes are sharp turn, then a straight line followed by another adjustment etc.
The previous versions were silky smooth in comparison.
Overall it does seem to have taken a step backwards.
Having said that, AP is like Texas weather - wait a while and it will change.
After 63 updates, my car is averaging 13 days between updates. In a month or two they will have improved it again.

Hi there,

We got our model three sr+ a couple weeks ago and it truly is a fantastic car. We are blown away with it.

One of the things we debated before hand was whether or not to purchase FSD and decided it was best not to since we didn't even know when it would be fully available, and boy are we glad we did. Autosteer cannot handle the highways in Dallas, TX at all.

We have tried it as much as possible, but autosteer cannot seem to handle any kind of quick bend in the road, and frequently autocorrects. As it stands now, neither of us has been able to let it run on anything but fairly straight highways.

Has this been the experience any of you have had? Does autosteer improve over time? How can they possibly say FSD is close to release when this kind of highway driving isn't even possible yet?
Something does not sound right, it should not have a problem on a properly marked road. Some updates have played with auto steer but never to the point like your describing in my experience.

The car should have no trouble lane keeping on any normal divided highway (DO you have bends in TX? /grins/). Are you trying to drive on a two-way winding road?

The interstate gets pretty curvy very quickly, and the autopilot seems completely unable to handle it, the roads marked in a few of the trouble spots, but have standard TX highway wear in others.

Note there is no problem when the road is very straight, but anything that involves somewhat quick maneuvering has proved completely impossible for the autosteer to handle in a safe manner

How fast are you trying to drive?

at or below the posted limits, in some of the problem areas it is only 50 mph

The interstate gets pretty curvy very quickly, and the autopilot seems completely unable to handle it, the roads marked in a few of the trouble spots, but have standard TX highway wear in others.

Note there is no problem when the road is very straight, but anything that involves somewhat quick maneuvering has proved completely impossible for the autosteer to handle in a safe manner

at or below the posted limits, in some of the problem areas it is only 50 mph

hmm it really should be able to handle that (and does for me) .. you might want to recalibrate the cameras, or contact a service center

That's is a fair summary.
Allowing ASs to navigate turns and lane merges has always been a gamble for me - sometimes it works, other times ASs gets lost, disengages auto-pilot, or starts meandering between the edges of the lane markings.

ASs functionality hasn't really improved much in over 1.5+ years that I've owned my Model 3.
Each release might incrementally improve or degrade the functionality, but cumulatively, ASs is as flaky as it was a year and a half ago.

It is what it is.

I use it on straight stretches of the highways, when I'm bored.
My wife refuses to use it at all.

Reactions: AZAV8R
That's is a fair summary.
Allowing ASs to navigate turns and lane merges has always been a gamble for me - sometimes it works, other times ASs gets lost, disengages auto-pilot, or starts meandering between the edges of the lane markings.

ASs functionality hasn't really improved much in over 1.5+ years that I've owned my Model 3.
Each release might incrementally improve or degrade the functionality, but cumulatively, ASs is as flaky as it was a year and a half ago.

It is what it is.

I use it on straight stretches of the highways, when I'm bored.
My wife refuses to use it at all.

That pretty much sums up usage so far, once a highway goes straight, both of us let it run. My wife doesn't trust it much at this point because of how poor the performance has been in some of the areas. I'm hopeful it improves, but question how FSD can even be a possibility just given how much road markings can vary in parts of the city.

Reactions: afadeev

Note there is no problem when the road is very straight, but anything that involves somewhat quick maneuvering has proved completely impossible for the autosteer to handle in a safe manner at or below the posted limits, in some of the problem areas it is only 50 mph

Doesn't Texas top out at 85mph? Not sure I would employ AP at anywhere near that speed. Isn't 85mph about 125 feet per second? A lot can happen in 125 feet.... I'm just sayin'...

I find that if you are in the middle lanes, Autopilot does a better job around the curves.

If you are in the far right lane it is challenged by on/off ramps and missing white lines.
If you are if the far left there is often little margin for error if you are running close to a barrier etc.

My July 2018 M3 is getting better and smoother around really sharp curves and it will also drive on curvy roads without any lane markings if it has a short center lane line to engage the AP. Sounds like there's something wrong with the OPs car.

Just t be sure, you are activating Autosteer with two full downward strokes of the shift stalk, right? Sounds more like lane departure avoidance than Autosteer. Though individual cars can have calibration/alignment problems.

I've had no Autosteer problems on quite twisty freeways/highways.

Sounds like you’re on TACC and not Auto Pilot, so do you have 2 blue lines on the screen with the car in the middle? If you do then you’re on Auto Steer, submit a service ticket because auto steer should work very well on the freeway.

Fred

Doesn't Texas top out at 85mph? Not sure I would employ AP at anywhere near that speed. Isn't 85mph about 125 feet per second? A lot can happen in 125 feet.... I'm just sayin'...

yes, but its pretty straight on those areas. Have not taken AP near those highways yet.

I find that if you are in the middle lanes, Autopilot does a better job around the curves.

If you are in the far right lane it is challenged by on/off ramps and missing white lines.
If you are if the far left there is often little margin for error if you are running close to a barrier etc.

We have also found this helps significantly, but still does not solve the issue

Just t be sure, you are activating Autosteer with two full downward strokes of the shift stalk, right? Sounds more like lane departure avoidance than Autosteer. Though individual cars can have calibration/alignment problems.

I've had no Autosteer problems on quite twisty freeways/highways.

Sounds like you’re on TACC and not Auto Pilot, so do you have 2 blue lines on the screen with the car in the middle? If you do then you’re on Auto Steer, submit a service ticket because auto steer should work very well on the freeway.

Fred

can confirm, we are indeed on autopilot, and taking control when the vehicle is about to cause collision due to not maintaining lane/anticipating sharp curves on highway

Can’t identify pot holes, auto pilot freaking out audio warning over cars that are parked at the side of the road, little understanding of the psychology of what people are obviously doing, or are about to do, etc. Love the way an electric car drives, dislike the Elon spin that this car only gets better and will be self drive soon. That promise also goes for putting up with a lack of an instrument cluster, and standard knobs for A/C, lights, etc, because it is going to be self drive soon, another Elon quote. Not anytime before I am rolling over this car at 5 years, anyway.

Ducking for cover from all the people who paid for FSD and drank the accompanying glass of Kool Aid.