TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Autosteering

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by MarchX, Apr 10, 2016.

1. MarchX

MarchX Member

Well 1000 miles on the 90D and fingers crossed, no significant problems. Auto steer works well, but I noticed it can be a little jerky on curves - not horrible, but not totally smooth. Today I decided to try out steering set at the comfort level. I don't think it's my imagination, as I was not expecting it, but auto steering with this setting ( vs standard ) seems to be much smoother both on initialization and on curves. Has anyone else noticed this effect?

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  2. T1perry

T1perry Member

After 4000 miles in Sig XP90D, I agree on your description, and it is improving. Thank you for sharing the suggestion of changing the comfort level, it did not occur to me that might adjust the auto steering variable in the program.

3. Softwizard

Softwizard Member

Yes, I should RTFM, but where do I adjust this setting? If you answer here, at least it will be saved for all of humanity :D

4. MarchX

MarchX Member

Not in the X now, but I'm pretty sure if you go to controls > settings > driving you'll see an option in the upper left to set steering level

• Helpful x 1
  5. ptsagcy

ptsagcy Member

After 5000 miles the smoothness of the auto steer has definitely improved over time and setting the steering to comfort seems to help.

6. sukhi

sukhi Member

Ignoring the RTFM adage at my own peril!
    It was my first day with AutoPilot on our MX yesterday and loved it except that it did not realize that it does not steer based on the navigation directions :). I guess I had incorrectly assumed that it will be follow the exit on its own. May be one day soon :)

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
  7. X Fan

X Fan Member

Yes, comfort is much better, particularly when changing lanes......

8. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

So does this improvement have to come about from my car learning the roads it drives on or will you all teach it? Right now I have only tried it on three roads and it was way to jerky for me so it's not getting turned back on again until I find out what makes it 'learn'.

9. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

Some say he's still on the highway...

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  10. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

The whole fleet is teaching your car. You can contribute too. Turn on that autopilot! ;)

• Like x 1
  11. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

With the latest update did anyone notice that the car refuses to change lane if there is another vehicle too close behind in the lane you want to move to? And once the car has a safe distance it will initiate lane change.
    This seems like a huge improvement as earlier the driver had to pay attention not to cut short in front of approaching traffic.

• Helpful x 1
  12. ptsagcy

ptsagcy Member

Mine has taken traffic in the lane your changing to into account for quite a while

13. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

Infinite power supply? Me like